All OS Whatsapp validity got transferred!!

nRiTeCh

Skilled
This is something unusual happened.:confused:

I installed new whatsapp and configured my Vodafone no. which is very rare on whatsapp.
Whatsapp showed its validity as 10 months remaining. Fine. Coz till date hasnt really used that no. on whatsapp.

Used it for a day and then...
Then deleted that no and on same whatsapp configured my regular Docomo no. which previously had a validity of 3 months whatsapp validity.

Well here I was shocked to find that now the validity of this no. increased to 10 months!:wtf:

Another shock was that my Vodafone no. got deactivated from whatsapp automatically once I configured Docomo on same whatsapp.:walkingdead:

Did the validity got transferred or something from Vodafone to Docomo no.??

I dont know what to link with what but yeah this did happened to me at least.:photogenic:

After seing this i realized that i've been using whatsapp on the same number since late 2013 and still haven't paid (or been asked to pay) for it. isn't it first year free and then 50 bucks p.a.?

May be for Indian or Asian nos. its free!!

I too get extension but its like 3 months keep getting added once I'm at 1 month stage. Now this observation was 3-4 times since year 2011. Dont know whats the current policy.

dude, Whatsapp doesn't charge any money from users residing in the developing/poor countries. you won't find any person in India using a Indian mobile number who has ever paid for Whatsapp subscription..

Its a running joke that WhatsApp cannot charge money from anyone. Even if you keep the account running long enough for the countdown to tick down, it'll get 'magically' extended. The thing about whatsapp is that the moment they try to charge someone, that person may not pay for WhatsApp and will instead jump ship to Wechat or telegram or messenger or kik or the hundred or so alternatives on the market. This person may take a girl friend or maybe some friends along and soon everyone starts migrating. Once the user base is gone, WhatsApp is gone. Their user base is their strongest asset currently and they won't dare **** with it. The best solution is that they keep the pay gate there in the hopes of catching someone responsible enough to not risk expiration and will pay up in advance. The idea is also there that even if 0.05% of the userbase pays up, they will earn an insane amount of money.

Btw, they used to charge for the WhatsApp app if you had an iPhone because apparently iPhone people were usually people who paid for the apps and hence made quite some money there, but now I guess its 'free' for everyone now.

My account got automatically extended till Sep 2016..

I was planning to pay this time, Rs 55 /yr is nothing compared to it's utility. Cheapest monthly SMS pack will be 10 times costlier. They could have minted billions in Ad revenue if they had allowed minimally intrusive Ads. But they didn't do it, that is something praise worthy. It's my default messaging app for last 2yrs.

They should release a premium paid version with multiple number support, unlimited group members, office document sharing and robust security features etc. I will gladly buy it.

Back