Where this country is heading - do you have any hope ?

how to survive and have a respectable life in this country?

• Not Possible

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • OP is Antinational

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • OP has black money in Swiss bank

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • what is respect? What is life? Pay taxes & just Pay Taxex, make india Sooperpawa in 2020.

Votes: 18 32.1%

• Total voters
This topic has come up on def boards and ex-mil were adamant about it not being tolerated in the military. Your article does not reference any army spokespersons from the area concerned at all. Why is that. Doesn't this give an incomplete picture ?

Doesn't matter since there are more than enough number of rape cases from conflict areas (Kashmir and Assam mainly) where it has been repeatedly reinforced that they can get away without any consequences in their own court martial or allow the police take matter into their own hands. I remember one case from Assam long back where there was even a argument that it cannot be helped since these jawan's stay away from home and are sexually frustrated which is taken out on any women they can find.

AFSPA is most certainly not a license to rape. How does the army enforce discipline within its own ranks in such a case. Such a policy is inherently unsustainable. Whatever atrocities that have occurred would be far larger. And no this most certainly isn't policy with any professional army. Your comment reminded me of an article i read about google engineers protesting google doing any work for the military. This is in the field of AI. Google they said should do no evil. What surprised me is at what point did working for the military become evil ?

Also there is this false choice suggested between retaining or removing AFSPA. Only the army can take that decision when the situation no longer threatens the general functioning of the state. What people have to understand is without security there is nothing else. Law, rights, justice only flow once security can be maintained. The state has to retain a monopoly on violence if normalcy is to return. And AFSPA has been removed in areas when the situation improves.

Forget conflict zones and AFSPA. You know that Hyderabad is no conflict zone right? Back in 2014,. a 11 year old boy was lured into the cantonment area here by two jawans and then set ablaze after being doused in kerosene and killed. Apparently he was sodomized before being killed. There is enough evidence even for police to show wrong doing. The incident happened in a area where nobody except military personnel could enter. Yet it was simply hushed up and the police was also prevented from taking the matter further.

I have no problem believing that authority and too much power would be abused by anybody. Army is no different. They are not saints. How many times have you seen where army toppled the existing govt of the time and took over the country and did as they pleased.

The english kashmiri press is pro-separatist, you will hear anything that happens there amplified ten fold, distorted and misleading on purpose. This only feeds into national press where if one bullet gets fired every Indian will hear about it. Can't miss it. Now compare that with how our neighbours deal with the same issue

My colleagues are Kashmir Hindus from the smaller towns, not media. I have no issues believing them.

I don't see where the question of independence comes from. How can we be invaders and occupiers of our own country ? When Modi sidelined the separatists in 2015, it amazed me why this wasn't done earlier. Why were we even talking to people who want to separate. And soon after they showed us what we were up against. We are taking charge of our country and not allowing others to dictate what we do. The very essence of independence. We are standing up for it.

Which country? India as we see it today never existed as a single country. It was a bunch of kingdoms which at various points of time were occupied by different rulers. The present day India is just a creation of the British. Kashmir was a separate Kingdom with a king of its own till the independence. They wanted to be independent from both India and Pak. However it had huge potential for revenue generation which made it attractive to both India and Pak. Nehru ultimately bullied the King of Kashmir into handing it over to India with the then situation that if Pak tries to claim it, India would have to take military actions and Kashmir would be ruined in the process. However Indian govt failed Kashmir royally at protecting them.

When it comes to dealing with insurgents we are no different than the Brits. The idea then and now is to hit them hard over the head and then teach them to play the piano. Ex militants get into politics. See the age of the militants and stone pelters these days. Early twenties, teens and even pre-teens. Those older than that know there isn't a future if they follow this path

Which is what I am saying. It is all a matter of perspective. The people who fought for India's Independence were seen as insurgents and terrorists by the British. So, its natural that any people who fight for Kashmir's independence (or any other state of India in future) would be seen the same way by the govt of India. The situations are not different. there is no such thing like the India existed as a single country from the start of time. This is all just political.

Doesn't matter since there are more than enough number of rape cases from conflict areas (Kashmir and Assam mainly) where it has been repeatedly reinforced that they can get away without any consequences in their own court martial or allow the police take matter into their own hands. I remember one case from Assam long back where there was even a argument that it cannot be helped since these jawan's stay away from home and are sexually frustrated which is taken out on any women they can find.
Even more pertinent that a spokesperson be present. Why let it go unanswered. You are also aggregating a couple of decades here from two different areas. I do not dispute that atrocities have occurred i am pointing out that this isn't policy. Cannot lay accusations against an institution and not allow representatives to respond. Whenever i've seen these discussion on RSTV there was always a retired general there. Changed the complexion of the debate completely.

This is not so easy for a civilian to understand. These people deal with conflicts and death that is far worse than rape yet whenever the subject of rape comes up i've seen pro's completely lose the plot. Rape to them is worse than death. Makes no sense but that is what i've seen. No officer worth his salt in any professional army will condone rape. Military affairs are kept within the club so there is no easy way of finding out just what happens to people who do break rules. They don't take indiscipline lightly.

Forget conflict zones and AFSPA. You know that Hyderabad is no conflict zone right? Back in 2014,. a 11 year old boy was lured into the cantonment area here by two jawans and then set ablaze after being doused in kerosene and killed. Apparently he was sodomized before being killed. There is enough evidence even for police to show wrong doing. The incident happened in a area where nobody except military personnel could enter. Yet it was simply hushed up and the police was also prevented from taking the matter further.

I have no problem believing that authority and too much power would be abused by anybody. Army is no different. They are not saints.
This is political management taking over transparency in the interests of stability. Ensure fires burn out where they start and do not spread. Truth is the first casualty here because truth can be incendiary some times. You can apply that model to any riots or unrest that has occurred and i find this is a constant

A cop has to exist between a rock and a hard place. If he does his job, he could be transferred by the pol in charge. If he doesn't do his job the people will rake him over the coals. The police haven't been reformed since independence. It's as if the Brits never left this is why treatment can be rough. Every time i keep hearing about police reform and how urgent that is but i do not see govts attempting it. The current is no different. The present system suits the rulers more than the people. Any independent thinkers are like loose canons and will be eased out. Kiran Bedi struck me as one of those. It is ensured that these people hit a glass ceiling sooner as they are not manageable. Without management a problem can become a disaster.

How many times have you seen where army toppled the existing govt of the time and took over the country and did as they pleased.
In India ? never happened

Police & military defer to political leaders.

My colleagues are Kashmir Hindus from the smaller towns, not media. I have no issues believing them.
Anecdotes

Which country? India as we see it today never existed as a single country. It was a bunch of kingdoms which at various points of time were occupied by different rulers. The present day India is just a creation of the British.
The extent of land under our control.

Kashmir was a separate Kingdom with a king of its own till the independence. They wanted to be independent from both India and Pak. However it had huge potential for revenue generation which made it attractive to both India and Pak. Nehru ultimately bullied the King of Kashmir into handing it over to India with the then situation that if Pak tries to claim it, India would have to take military actions and Kashmir would be ruined in the process. However Indian govt failed Kashmir royally at protecting them.
Nehru didn't bully the king. The Paks violated a standstill agreement and infiltrated forcing the king to accede to Nehru. This makes it legally ours. Their whole case of plebiscite is a sham as well, the conditions for a plebiscite are both armies withdraw before it can be held. The Paks never withdrew yet still go on about plebiscite.

The importance of kashmir isn't revenue, but location. Its a gateway to the north, its also the source for the Indus. The reason the northern areas and Pok are not within our control is because the Paks had the element of surpise. They tried again in '65 with Operation Gibraltar but were foiled. We nearly lost jammu kashmir in '47.

What i find curious is we never asked for those areas back at Simla when we had the Paks on their knees. Politicians comment about this from time to time but i do not find any evidence of the military trying to regain it in previous conflicts. We continue to remonstrate about it and most recent was with the belt & road initiative. I suspect its down to geography. The terrain favours the defender. No point going for something that cannot be held. Same applies to China and Arunachal. They retreated from there because they couldn't hold it despite winning yet still claim it. The only reason Arunachal ended up in Indian control is because even the Tibetans couldn't make use of it.

The Paks can't do anything about kashmir and as time goes on their ability to influence matters only decreases. Compare '65 where they wanted to take the whole state with Kargil where the ambition was only to occupy a few summits and they ultimately failed at even that. Compare the 90's insurgency with adults fighting to kids throwing stones today and posting photos on facebook. Time is not on their side. So the present policy of just not talking them suits us.

Musharaf wanted to ratify the status quo that is both keep what they control which is the closest we've come to having any peace there but his organisation was clearly against surrendering their previous claims. They will have to eventually. Nobody is interested in helping them. The power differential is 10 to 1 presently and only set to grow.

Which is what I am saying. It is all a matter of perspective. The people who fought for India's Independence were seen as insurgents and terrorists by the British. So, its natural that any people who fight for Kashmir's independence (or any other state of India in future) would be seen the same way by the govt of India. The situations are not different. there is no such thing like the India existed as a single country from the start of time. This is all just political.
And we need to defend that space. By sidelining the separatists the govt has taken an active stance in countering them. The only force that can counter because everybody else is afraid of them. It remains to be seen how the coalition there continues, failing which the state will come under the centre. So the present policy is here to stay with a govt that is determined to do the job it is supposed to do. Enforce its writ. We are not present at the political subversion level this is why you end up with operation all out which is the last resort.

This romantic freedom fighter notion you speak of isn't fashionable in the present global context. Changed after 9/11 and further still after IS. Now the westerners take a more serious view about these matters. Any freelancer that returns from a conflict area gets looked at very closely because now they are also vulnerable

Why are you guys arguing about PoK/Kashmir?
Perhaps you have no idea how much the politicians / Arms suppliers / contractors / middlemen make out of this conflict zone in both India and Pakistan.
This will never be resolved.
Full stop.

Never be resolved is debatable. The conflict economy theory is a side effect of the conflict. The thinking goes conflict attract funds so solving the problem is like killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. Therefore will never be resolved because nobody wants it resolved

You could use that argument in the 90s when there was a full blow insurgency in effect. Is that still the case today ? no, it was dealt with in the 90s itself. This is essentially a war of attrition. One with the most resources to throw at it will eventually win, that would be us. It takes time but we are moving in the right direction with the current policy. We need to stick with it and not interrupt it for some pretext or other. No talks. Talks for what.

Last edited:
I'm surprised he put foreign policy in bad. I'd say Modi's been stellar there. China having projects in neighbouring countries isn't up to us. They are sovereign countries. Where do make a point is they don't endanger our interests and this point has been accepted.

They will be polarising statements made, its an election year and seems to be heating up already. When is the election ? may. This is going to be one really dirty fight. It follows there is going to be a lot of crap flying

He's wrong on development, there is no choice but to continue with it

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty balanced, yet honest and truthful opinion. I personally know many friends, some NRIs who were completely enamored by the BJP PR wagon, but who now see through the smoke and mirrors.

https://thewire.in/politics/why-i-am-resigning-from-the-bjp

I don't agree with most of the pros, its based on sketchy govt data that under this govt is unreliable at best and cooked up in their imagination at worst. But I think he listed the cons far better that I can. He's clearly given it a lot of thought. good thing he shared it. Resoundingly precise criticism.

Will you ever agree with any pro's of this govt ? of course not because then you'd be a BJP PR agent :p

Bias is dead easy to spot, its the sheer inability to attribute even a single positive thing to an administration

This is the level of discussion, either an agent or a bhakt, Anti national or not.

Last edited:
I don't agree with most of the pros, its based on sketchy govt data that under this govt is unreliable at best and cooked up in their imagination at worst. But I think he listed the cons far better that I can. He's clearly given it a lot of thought. good thing he shared it. Resoundingly precise criticism.

1. I'm not saying this is because of the bhajapa, but roads in new bombay are definitely in pathetic condition for the last 2-3 years. They were actually improving before. I'm sure others living here can concur.

2. Then, he himself says congress electrified 5 lakh villages and modi did 18k. But still listed it in good. I guess it was just good timing or whatever.

3. Upper level corruption has decreased??!! Yeah, they don't need bribes any more, that's taken care of by colluding with ambani/adani etc.

4. Swacch Bharat is absolute bollocks. A lot of gimmicks and wasted money, no real improvement on the ground. This is what i can see around me, maybe others have it better.

7. Law and order is better?? Daily reports of people lynched all over India say otherwise.

What people especially Christians and Muslims should do is to understand that it is not BJP or rulers who are responsible for this. The real reason minorities are targeted is, because of an ideology, which is no different than Nazism. This ideology says "Christians, Muslims, Communists are the internal threats of ----- Rashtra". So, their ancient extremist leaders taught - "Make them 2nd class citizen, perpetually arrested to dhimmitude and never allow they or their progeny to rise up against the great ---- Rashtra.". The ghettoes of infidels in north, central and western India stands as a proof. A copy of Israel and Pakistan, that's what they want. In fact, most of the Arya putra's (Forward castes) are supporters of this radical group. http://www.stopfundinghate.org/resources/rssprimer.htm
Let's take what you said and see how it applies to the neighbours

https://www.economist.com/asia/2018/04/14/why-south-asias-majorities-act-like-persecuted-minorities

Pakistan, Bhutan, Burma, Sri Lanka have all gone much further. Nepal would also be included in that list had we not intervened in 2015.

There is something peculiar to this region of the world where this sh*t just happens.

Not anywhere to the same extent in India though

These anti-national women that want safety should go to Pakistan!
In Mudi's land men are free to rape whoever they wanna. Its called freedom bicchezzzz. All thanks to mudizi.

</s>

BisRnA0CUAABtP4.jpg

No bigger fool than Indians. Here's Mudi telling bhakts how to grab titties, and you guys thought he was going to protect them.

These anti-national women that want safety should go to Pakistan!
In Mudi's land men are free to rape whoever they wanna. Its called freedom bicchezzzz. All thanks to mudizi.

</s>

BisRnA0CUAABtP4.jpg

No bigger fool than Indians. Here's Mudi telling bhakts how to grab titties, and you guys thought he was going to protect them.
BJP was originally the pro-business party. Same org asked in 2015 what do Indian women have to say about that.

Work-life balance topped the list of the most important challenges Indian women face in the workplace, with 57 percent saying it was their biggest concern, while the second biggest worry was flexible working, flagged by 42 percent of women. Contrary to data showing the pay gap in India was one of the largest in the G20, over six in 10 Indian women, or 61 percent, said they were confident they were earning the same as men doing the same job. Women in the world's second most populous country were also upbeat about having the same access to business networks as men with 53 percent agreeing they had.

But the most surprising finding in India was related to harassment. Over a quarter of Indian women, or 27 percent, said that they had been harassed at work and Indian women were more likely than any other women in the G20 to speak out. Of those harassed, 53 percent, said they would always or most of the time report this. The high number comes after a blitz in media coverage over the poor treatment of women that hit the headlines following the fatal gang-rape of a student on bus in Delhi in December 2012.

The difference with this poll and the most dangerous is this is a poll of women in India. The most dangerous is a subjective poll by experts from around the world

According to their 2011 poll we were ranked 6th

So not in the top five but in 2018 we are #1

How did this drop happen ? their reporting doesn't seem to offer any explanations. Govts want actionable data. What exactly is govt supposed to do to remedy this situation. The same thing the last govt did.

Nothing! because govts do not make policy on the basis of arbitrary league tables.

The survey involving 548 respondents was conducted online, by phone and in person between March 26 and May 4 with an even geographic spread across 5 regions – Europe, Africa, the Americas, South East Asia, South Asia and the Pacific. This approach was designed to ensure a fair geographical spread of respondents from both developing and developed countries.

Our list of experts was compiled from a database of women’s rights experts built by the Thomson Reuters Foundation team that runs the annual Trust Conference, from previous women’s polls conducted by the Thomson Reuters Foundation and from key groups in various locations globally.

The Thomson Reuters Foundation conducted this survey online, on the telephone and in person between between Monday March 26 and Friday May 4, 2018. Those interviewed included aid and development professionals, academics, health workers, policymakers, non-government organisation workers, journalists, and social commentators.

In total 759 experts accessed the survey between March 26 and May 4 with 548 responses which corresponds to a response rate of 72.2 percent.
So this is a subjective poll based on experts. How you collate all these responses and come up with a league table is beyond my understanding

PS: i consider reuters a premium source. Reputable. I do not generally question what they report. But this report unless followed up leaves things hanging

Last edited:
Back