Storage Solutions Which 1TB hard drive to buy ?

bassam904

Disciple
My Seagate 500gb crashed for the 3rd time in less than a year time :mad: and it has been given for RMA. I will get the HDD in 1 month time for some reason :(. Now I considering buying a 1 TB HDD Seagate and WD are the two options i see. I'm clinging towards WD Green as Seagate has failed me 3 times with loss of more than 600GB data which i'll never get again :crash:

I'll use this HDD for Music Movies and browsing the internet. No gaming on PC.

Don't you have a backup/expansion drive? an external one that is?

If not, it's time to invest in one. This way, your important data is safe atleast in one location.

With regular backups, you don't need to worry about which internal drive you buy.

As far as brand recommendations go, each person's suggestion would vary on his/her experiences.

thetoxicmind said:
Don't you have a backup/expansion drive? an external one that is?

If not, it's time to invest in one. This way, your important data is safe atleast in one location.

With regular backups, you don't need to worry about which internal drive you buy.

As far as brand recommendations go, each person's suggestion would vary on his/her experiences.

Yah I have a 500 GB external currently holding all my data. PC is running on a 9 year old 40GB maxtor :p

I have been using a 1TB 7200.12 seagate for few months and it's stable as rock till now. this is the primary HDD and I do lot of copy in and out of it. Also check WD Black which should be bit more stable than WD Green and Blue and is fast too.

For 11yrs, after using more than dozen of seagates this is first time i faced problem with their 500gb and its first rma in my life for any disks ever.:ashamed:

and i know seagate is loosing their market share and still dont have damn solution to their already failing 500 disks + not 1tb joining the same league.

So atleast for me its strict no no for seagate for another 3yrs or until their STABILITY.:no:

Currently i found wd blue n black very stable so go the hitachi/samsung or wd black/blue way.:clap:

I have Seagate 7200.12 1TB HDD since a year ... its 90% filled , and its a primary HDD (OS + 12h torrent download ).

Performance is good till date .

WD green had got serious failure rates just like Seagate 7200.11 ...

Looking at your signature you dont seem to have a good power supply unit [PSU].

We have a lot of power fluctuations and then if you have a bad psu, the hdd goes boom !!

If possible also get one good psu depending on your config.. invest 2k in psu.

I have been using seagate and wd, wd green since 3- 4 yrs.. never had a hdd failure..

so that may be your problem..

and go for WD green 1tb..

HTH

All this talk about Seagate and WD HDD failures is making me nervous. :S

I currently have only 1 primary HDD and no other for backup. :ashamed:

The WD Green has been working for me since a yr now. Even the 7200.11 which failed and were revived are working for me now :)

Just be sure that you have a good PSU, a UPS backup and you are good to go.

Like I said, people are bound to have +ve experiences with different brands, so go by your experience till date.

However, if there's a specific HDD model that is prone to frequent failure, you could just give that a miss.

As long as you have backup, you could choose from any brand you like. Preferably one that offers a 3+ yr warranty.

Just be sure that you have a good PSU, a UPS backup and you are good to go.

Yep, that and good ventilation for the drive.

+1 for Holic.. Yes you have to replace your PSU which is the root cause for most of PC issues in modern day world. Gone are the days when we used to blindly buy crap PSUs and HDDs used to have good life inspite of them... But nowadays the prices of the HDDs have gone down and the capacity increases day by day. So the quality is compromised and HDDs become very vulnerable to el-cheapo PSUs

Back