Monitors Which 22-24 inch 16:10 IPS monitor to buy

sydras

Skilled
Folks, after many years of using a CRT monitor, I've decided to move on to LCD monitors.

I'd recently replaced my Windows based Desktop with an Intel NUC5PPYH NUC (along with installing a Samsung Pro SSD and 8GB of DDR3 GSkill RAM) and after experiencing the convenience of a de-cluttered, minimalist desktop, the ol' 17 incher feels out of place with my new NUC. Hence my interest to upgrade.

Now, coming from a CRT size, I feel that a 19 inch LCD itself is an upgrade in terms of screen size but I believe that 21.5-22 inches is the minimum size at which one can hope to purchase a decent IPS panel.

I was considering the HP 22es and LG 22MP68VQ 22 inch monitors but then I came across the 16:10 aspect ratio. Given the fact that I really hate the 16:9 aspect ratio (watching movies is not the only function of a PC) I feel that the 16:10 aspect ratio really gives the user some much needed vertical height.

I'm now considering the Asus PA248Q and Dell U2415 24 inch 16:10 monitors. I'm considering the Asus model simply because the Dell U2415 does not have a VGA input which I may need to connect my old desktop for the odd requirement when it arises.

I want to know if there are any concerns with going with the 16:10 aspect ratio. Also, are there any 16:10 monitors of a smaller size and similar quality? I really don't require 24 inches of display area and I'm only considering this size simply because I can't seem to find smaller 16:10 IPS monitors.

Please share your thoughts and suggestions on this matter. User experiences with the respective monitors are also welcome.

Last edited:
I too use a 16.10 ratio monitor. Its a 24 incher and it definitely is superior for productivity compared to the 16.9 ratio ones which sacrifice the vertical real estate.

Unfortunately, 16.10 ratio displays are few and far in between, and therefore not much choice. Dell should be a good one, their ultrasharp ones are well reputed.

Folks, after many years of using a CRT monitor, I've decided to move on to LCD monitors.

I'd recently replaced my Windows based Desktop with an Intel NUC5PPYH NUC (along with installing a Samsung Pro SSD and 8GB of DDR3 GSkill RAM) and after experiencing the convenience of a de-cluttered, minimalist desktop, the ol' 17 incher feels out of place with my new NUC. Hence my interest to upgrade.

Now, coming from a CRT size, I feel that a 19 inch LCD itself is an upgrade in terms of screen size but I believe that 21.5-22 inches is the minimum size at which one can hope to purchase a decent IPS panel.

I was considering the HP 22es and LG 22MP68VQ 22 inch monitors but then I came across the 16:10 aspect ratio. Given the fact that I really hate the 16:9 aspect ratio (watching movies is not the only function of a PC) I feel that the 16:10 aspect ratio really gives the user some much needed vertical height.

I'm now considering the Asus PA248Q and Dell U2415 24 inch 16:10 monitors. I'm considering the Asus model simply because the Dell U2415 does not have a VGA input which I may need to connect my old desktop for the odd requirement when it arises.

I want to know if there are any concerns with going with the 16:10 aspect ratio. Also, are there any 16:10 monitors of a smaller size and similar quality? I really don't require 24 inches of display area and I'm only considering this size simply because I can't seem to find smaller 16:10 IPS monitors.

Please share your thoughts and suggestions on this matter. User experiences with the respective monitors are also welcome.
https://www.infibeam.com/Monitor/i-DELL-Monitor-U2412/P-CA-MO-Dell-U2412.html

Last edited:
^How does that help? It is a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor - check the resolution, 1920*1080.
OP - Either of the two, or if you can get your hands on an older Dell 2209WA, 22 inch, 16:10, 1680*1050.

I too use a 16.10 ratio monitor. Its a 24 incher and it definitely is superior for productivity compared to the 16.9 ratio ones which sacrifice the vertical real estate.

Unfortunately, 16.10 ratio displays are few and far in between, and therefore not much choice. Dell should be a good one, their ultrasharp ones are well reputed.

Thanks. I also think that the 16:10 aspect makes more sense when compared to 16:9 from a productivity and even a movie watching stand point :).

^How does that help? It is a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor - check the resolution, 1920*1080.
OP - Either of the two, or if you can get your hands on an older Dell 2209WA, 22 inch, 16:10, 1680*1050.

Thanks. I think it would fit my requirements. Let me see if I can find one for sale.

Thanks. I checked the monitor specs. The U2412M does not come with an HDMI i/p. And, the U2415 which I'm considering does not come with a VGA i/p.

I think that the U2415 might be more future proof but it's really sad to see that Dell decided to drop the VGA i/p on this monitor.

Back