Storage Solutions Which 2TB drive?

CRACING

Disciple
Hello Friends,

I have 2x 1tb hdds in my desktop since several years and now I'm running out of space so I would like to upgrade one of them to 2tb and handover old hdd to my brother.

In my desktop, I'm using Samsung EVO 860 250GB SSD for Windows and Softwares. 1TB WD Black (7 years old) for important data and 1TB Seagate Barracuda (4 years old) for multimedia.

Before 1TB Seagate Barracuda I had 1TB WD Green which developed bad sectors soon after warranty expired. Recently my Seagate Backup Plus hdd (Out of warranty) also developed bad sectors ; thankfully I was able to backup most of useful files before it almost died.

Now I'm confused which brand hdd to buy and my budget is 6k max so performance hdds are out of reach. I have come across these drives, please advice which one is good or if there is any better then these:

WD Blue 2TB 5400 RPM (WD rebranded green drive as blue and some say blue drives is degraded now)
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 5400 RPM ST2000DM005 (Is it new or old model?)
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM ST2000DM006 (Only Amazon and some online stores have this hdd. Popular online stores like PrimeABGB, MDComputers and etc don't have it in stock. Isn't it the newer then above said drive?)
Toshiba P300 2TB 7200 RPM

BTW; 5400 vs 7200 RPM, does it make any difference for data storage? Looks like 5400 RPM has ~150MB/s R/W whereas 7200 RPM ~200MB/s R/W but my WD Black hdd has speed less then 130MB/s R/W!

Thanks...
Best Regards

Seagate or WD both perform the same equally good or bad now. Get what suits in your budget. If the hdd is for OS and data get the 7200 rpm disk. Low speed hdd is for storing data in a NAS or saving power.
DM005 is old model. DM006 is newer. There is a SV series drive from Seagate too which is meant for 24/7 video recording in dvr of cctv. You can buy that if you want 3 years warranty compared to 2 years warranty of regular desktop hdd's.

Seagate or WD both perform the same equally good or bad now. Get what suits in your budget. If the hdd is for OS and data get the 7200 rpm disk. Low speed hdd is for storing data in a NAS or saving power.
DM005 is old model. DM006 is newer. There is a SV series drive from Seagate too which is meant for 24/7 video recording in dvr of cctv. You can buy that if you want 3 years warranty compared to 2 years warranty of regular desktop hdd's.

Thank you for your kind reply. I have same feeling about Seagate and WD now. My experience with both brands is also same.

My existing Seagate is performing good since 4 years so I might go for Seagate again. Just that I have to decide DM005 or DM006. I have SSD so HDD is for data storage only. Old model is available almost everywhere but DM006 in Amazon India and few other stores only. PrimeABGB, MDComputers say its not available with vendor and there is no estimate time for it.

Last edited:
Update: After spending lots of time, I have got Toshiba P300 2TB HDD from kharidiye website and seller delivered it promptly. It costed me 5k including shipping and DOM is July 2018.

P300 similar as or updated version of Toshiba DT01ACA*** Series and Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 0F12115. It feels solid and heavy like my WD Black whereas my Seagate 7200.14 is thin and lightweight. As per my research, it has 4 heads and 2 platters.

I have been using it since 3 days without any issues and I have cloned some important files incase one of the drive fails. Full scan didn't find any bad sectors and SMART log is clean.

Last edited:
Back