Which 3G USB Stick to go for? UMG1831 or something else?

Nolasco

Disciple
Well ive been going through the threads looking for a 3G Usb modem and was looking at getting the Huawei UMG1831 but have seen some users have issues with is as mainly, mainly with heating and no connectivity. Any idea if these issues still persist and whether the UMG1831 is the best buy or something more value for money and realiable available.

UMG1831 is available on Ebay for Rs2690 so with a couple should be able to get it for about Rs2400. Look forward to your comments.

using UMG 1831 since april and all i can say that its awesome. Yeah it heats up but almost no disconnections (1-2 /day).You can just setup a automatic dial up connection if it disconnects so new connection will be established in under 5 sec.

Downloaded 100 gb in 5 days with mtnl 3g.The signal strength stay around 97-98 % if the placement of the 3g usb stick is correct. It best works out on the monitor facing in up direction(vertically).Signal decreases if you place the 3g usb stick close to wall..you can buy it ASAP.Its a very good 3g usb stick. :)

I am using the Huawei E122 modem and its also very good. I am facing disconnection every 4-6 hours, but that is the network's problem and not the USB modem's.

Thanks guys. Phoenix I dont think the E122 is available any longer so im left with either the UMG1831 or the E173 which is available on Ebay for abour 2.2k

In that case I think the UMG1831 would be the best bet considering gamingstill has not had any problems except heating which is manageable. Any idea if the E173 which

reliance world sells for rs2599 comes unlocked? In that case, I think it would probably be better to get it from Reliance since they offer a 1 year warranty as wel, else

its the UMG1831 unless anyone suggests anything better.

I am using UMG1831 and since last 4-5 days it is continuously connected to BSNL 3G network (long download queue :lol:). In my case it does not heat much and it is very much acceptable. Disconnections do occur but they are like 2-3 times in 24 hours period. But i have set it to automatic dialing using some application and hence torrent downloading does not get affected, it just restarts in a min or so.

Ok, so guess UMG1831 it is then! Now the next thing is, which would best the best operator to go with. Would mainly be using it in Mumbai and Goa. Was looking at Reliance, Vodafone and MTNL/BSNL. Any unlimited plans that these guys have? Had a look at their respective websites.

Vodafone has 18GB usage for 6 months for Rs4255 which comes to Rs710 per month however data charges on roaming apply unless used only on Vodafone network. Vodafone network isnt great in Goa and will most likely switch to Idea for which I would be charged hence not too keen on Vodafone.

As for Reliance, they have a 3Gb plan for Rs899 a month which I think should work in Mumbai and Goa since Relian have pretty good conectivity in Goa as well but not sure if it will be 3G or 2G in Goa.

As for MTNL, the Rs750 2GB plan seems the only viable option, which should work on BSNL in Goa. Anything else that I could get? Maybe a BSNL Sim in goa and use that in Mumabi? Any good unlimited offers? Do let me know so can take a call accordingly.

no unlimited plans from BSNL or MTNL as their promotion offers have expired.

Best bet in this case would be Airtel for 1.25GB --> Rs. 625 or you may go with BSNL 2GB for approx Rs. 800

raksrules said:
I am using UMG1831 and since last 4-5 days it is continuously connected to BSNL 3G network (long download queue :lol:). In my case it does not heat much and it is very much acceptable. Disconnections do occur but they are like 2-3 times in 24 hours period. But i have set it to automatic dialing using some application and hence torrent downloading does not get affected, it just restarts in a min or so.
4-5 days without disconnection...thats great!!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

phoenix844884 said:
I am using the Huawei E122 modem and its also very good. I am facing disconnection every 4-6 hours, but that is the network's problem and not the USB modem's.
There are users who have confirmed that their disconnection problem is gone after replacing the modem or after upgrading the firmware. It cannot be only network problem alone. Have you tried different modems?

raksrules said:
raks, u seem to be on UL plan of BSNL 3G.. Which one ?

dipen01 said:
raks, u seem to be on UL plan of BSNL 3G.. Which one ?

I am on the BSNL UL plan that i had taken way back in January 2011, valid for six months and i had paid Rs. 4200 for that (Effectively Rs 700 per month)

Well so I ordered the UMG1831 from Ebay for Rs 2690 and just received it today. Connected it to my system and the drivers

got automatically installed. It came with T Mobile Web Connect Manager and that installed as well, however now after getting installed when I try to launch the application, i am getting the error message:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022) Click OK to close the application."

I uninstalled and reinstalled but the same error message again. Any idea what I am doing wrong and has anyone faced a similar issue? Suggestions please on how to resolve this?

^^Go to page no 126 on the BSNL 3G thread and check Supra's post, there will be a link to download latest mobile partner. Just install that, put in your modem in USB port, it will ask u to remove a currently installed app, ignore this (press cancel) and you will be able to use the modem. Use mobile partner to connect.
Everytime u put modem later on it will ask you same query to remove the currently installed application, just press cancel there.

Hi, yes was going through that thread itself. Downloaded the Mobile Partner and its connected now. Seems it was an issue with the T Mobile web connect manager. Anyway, any idea how to replace the T Mobile web connect manager that is pre installed on the device with mobile partner. Deleting it and copy pasting Mobile Partner seems out of the question as I cannot delete the T Mobile web connect manager. Any idea if Supra or anyone has done that?

Nolasco said:
Well so I ordered the UMG1831 from Ebay for Rs 2690 and just received it today. Connected it to my system and the drivers

got automatically installed. It came with T Mobile Web Connect Manager and that installed as well, however now after getting installed when I try to launch the application, i am getting the error message:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022) Click OK to close the application."

I uninstalled and reinstalled but the same error message again. Any idea what I am doing wrong and has anyone faced a similar issue? Suggestions please on how to resolve this?
goto DC Files and select your datacard manufacturer and then model to download the dashboard updater.

Note : do not disconnect or power off during dashboard update process

Back