Storage Solutions Which 500GB HDD to get?

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Planning to get a 500GB SATA 2 HDD. Which one to get and whats the current prices like. I had usually had excellent experiences with Seagate HDD's and bad experiences with every non-Seagate HDD I bought. So should I stick to Seagate?

I for one would say NO... Go with WD... As of now if your Seagate HDD dies you have to go thier customer care centre... Wait in a que for almost 2+ hours and deposit your HDD for almost a week and then go back again after a week and wait in a que for another 2+ hours to take back another piece which is a Dead piece by 50% chance...

Atleast that has happened with me almost 10 times now with my Seagate 40GB Notebook HDD which has gone for replacement and has come back dead atleast 4 times... Its still with seagate as i am typing this...

While WD guys come up to your place and pick up your dead HDD and deliver it back to your doorstep... I would rather pickup something which does not give me headques rather then perform that .025 % faster from a product whose RMA service is a breeze to use...

I agree with switch, got the WD500AAKS recently and it's really good, the temps are same as the seagate and hdtach score is close to 70mbps, plus it's cheaper than seagate or hitachi at 5.4k, though I dunno anything about WD's ass

thexfactor said:
I dunno anything about WD's ass

It better be good as according to a couple of people from USA online stores, who posted in forums, the WD HDDs have the highest rate of RMA's. According to them Seagate was the lowest. But HDD failures do depend a lot on their handling during transport from the factory to your local store. So if their handling locally is better then in USA then WD HDDs will have a lower failure rate in India.

thexfactor said:
I agree with switch, got the WD500AAKS recently and it's really good, the temps are same as the seagate and hdtach score is close to 70mbps, plus it's cheaper than seagate or hitachi at 5.4k, though I dunno anything about WD's ass

:lol: rofl!!

Switch said:
I for one would say NO... Go with WD... As of now if your Seagate HDD dies you have to go thier customer care centre... Wait in a que for almost 2+ hours and deposit your HDD for almost a week and then go back again after a week and wait in a que for another 2+ hours to take back another piece which is a Dead piece by 50% chance...

Atleast that has happened with me almost 10 times now with my Seagate 40GB Notebook HDD which has gone for replacement and has come back dead atleast 4 times... Its still with seagate as i am typing this...

While WD guys come up to your place and pick up your dead HDD and deliver it back to your doorstep... I would rather pickup something which does not give me headques rather then perform that .025 % faster from a product whose RMA service is a breeze to use...

I agree. For a market leader, Seagate's RMA service is quite shoddy. I was not impressed by the WDs performance (I have the PATA version i.e. the WD5000AAKB) and it runs 3C hotter than my 320GB Hitachi PATA HDD. But it's very quiet and I haven't had anything to complain about so far.

Guy's, the thing is out of the 14 odd HDD's I bought in the last 10 years, only one seagate HDD has gone bad till now (It too after 4 years and out of warranty, so no RMA) and at the same time I had three non-seagate HDD (IBM, WD, Samsung) and all of them gave me problems in about an year, two of them had to be RMA'd and the Samsung one conked off just a few days after warranty period ended. But this was a long time ago and I am not sure how things are with other brands as I did not get a HDD other than Seagate since.

For me, the more important thing is reliability of the drive more than the performance or ease of RMA. I had almost made up my mind to ge the WD till Eazy mentioned the failure rate. So is this WD as reliable as the seagate?

no matter what +1 to the Seagate , the WD is a NO NO ......high RMA fails as EAZY Sir said......pals WD crashed 3 times in the past 1 yr.....well whats the big deal u waste a lot of system down time if ur WD dies ....on the other end the seagate failing is low ..........

Look for the Seagate 7200.11 drives and tell us how the performance is :D I haven't had any problem with Seagate PATA or SATA drives ever, so I'd recommend Seagate without attempting to compare them with WD.

If you've not had an issue with Seagate HDDs, then I suggest that you go for Seagate only. It'll go a long way in giving you peace of mind.

Only thing I'd be concerned about is if there were reports of a recent batch of Seagate HDDs not being good. If 7200.11 is out in 500GB, there would be no contest in deciding which one to get. It would be Seagate all the way.

Seagate = A complete peace of mind. Their RMA is good..and on top of that nothing ever beats their reliability. I have owned almost 7-8 seagate drives till now. Two of them have been 8 years old & none of them have ever failed on me till now. But seriously my vote goes to seagate. I would'nt really trust wd or hitachi.

Seagate for me. Bought a HDD from zhops, came for RMA. Just gave the HDD, guy didnt ask for bill.

Best part is, they notified me thru email and SMS when the HDD has arrived, and is ready for pickup. Had given for replacement on a friday, got it back Wednesday.

I really like and love hitachi, but my current 120gig lappy drive has failed, and I have to wait a week to give it for RMA coz i dont have the bill with me now. Plus I have to go back to the original dealer, too much hassles.

RiO said:
Look for the Seagate 7200.11 drives and tell us how the performance is :D I haven't had any problem with Seagate PATA or SATA drives ever, so I'd recommend Seagate without attempting to compare them with WD.

SunnyBoi said:
Seagate for me. Bought a HDD from zhops, came for RMA. Just gave the HDD, guy didnt ask for bill.

Best part is, they notified me thru email and SMS when the HDD has arrived, and is ready for pickup. Had given for replacement on a friday, got it back Wednesday.

I really like and love hitachi, but my current 120gig lappy drive has failed, and I have to wait a week to give it for RMA coz i dont have the bill with me now. Plus I have to go back to the original dealer, too much hassles.

Am with these guys. So far, I have dealt with 6 hard disks, 4 of them were Seagates and Absolutely no problem with them. My latest one is 7200.9 and even though its 750GB (which i thought would run hotter) the temps are as good as the 250 gb one. I would have taken a seagate eyes closed if I was in ur place. But then, its also true that i dont know anything about its RMA procedures coz i never went through one

i hav had a terrible exp with seagate...3 hdd failures within one year...thts why i am trying WD now...have 4 of the 5000AAKS...hopefully they wont go the seagate way for me...

I aint saying Seagate HDD's are BAD but at the same time there RMA service is pathetic atleast here in Delhi...

Sunnyboi... Yes they have started doing what you just mentioned
(SMS Service and all) but you still gotta go and deposit & collect the HDD... That for me is a pig pain in the ass...

P.S. I have used Seagate, Samsung,Maxtor & Hitachi 3.5 Hdd and till date none of them have crashed on my desktop... its just that particular Notebook HDD is what i am troubled with :\...

Back