Which Blood Glucose meter to buy?

Punker

Skilled
Guys i want to buy blood glucose meter for my mom.... She's a diabetes patient and normally her sugar is high....Please suggest me a good reliable meter which shows accurate results and do let me know from where should i buy.....
TIA,
Punker

Re: Which Blood Gluscose meter to buy?

1) Accu-Check Active : I will be available in any of the Prominent Medical Shops - Ships with a 1 year warranty afaik , pretty accurate - and most important the strips and lancets are widely available - Pricing dont know , purchased mine 1.5 years ago for about 1.8k ..still going strong .Its made by a company called Roche.

Purchase it from some of the reliable guys like appolo pharma or something , where you can be sure its genuine and the shop wont disappear if you end up with troubles in your device.

2) One-Touch Ultra : Made by life scan , not sure about its availability but its a very accurate , got more features han the accu check , monitoring / graphs of the blood sugar levels etc, There is another compact model called One touch mini , but the only problem in this is the availability of lancets and strips.

Punker said:
i was thinking to buy it from here - Online Store for Accu-chek Glucometer, Diabetes Glucose Monitor, Blood Glucose Meter, Blood Glucose Monitor

and please tell me whats the difference between Accu-Chek Active and Accu-Chek Integra....

From what I know , accucheck integra does not require loading of test strips where as active requires you to load the strips , between the two I would stick with accucheck active since the design is a bit newer when compared to the integra and the availibility of test strips is better in the active than the integra , 1-1.5 years ago the active package used to have a slim design , iinm the guys changed the casing but not the h/w in the new one.

I'm pretty sure the integra's test strips are costlier than that of the active , so in the long run a/c active becomes more effective and vfm while providing the same results. Last time i purchased the strips it was around 750 rupees for 25 strips , the same goes with one touch ...

Buying - Its your preference , I stuck to a shop since if there are any problems I can go pester the guy at store if the machine acts weird , e-Buy doesnt seem to be a bad choice either.

I bought a One Touch HORIZON, which is a very basic model costing about Rs 950. It includes 10 test strips and 10 lancets. Since I don't have diabetes but very close to the "diabetes-welcome' age, so just bought it for the time being. I check once in a while .

But if your mother is already diabetic then invest in better model which will be accurate and also test strips are readily available. Also once in a while please visit the diagnostic labs to have manual testing done. Sometimes these meters are approximate and depends on various factors.

rajndra said:
I bought a One Touch HORIZON, which is a very basic model costing about Rs 950. It includes 10 test strips and 10 lancets. Since I don't have diabetes but very close to the "diabetes-welcome' age, so just bought it for the time being. I check once in a while .

But if your mother is already diabetic then invest in better model which will be accurate and also test strips are readily available. Also once in a while please visit the diagnostic labs to have manual testing done. Sometimes these meters are approximate and depends on various factors.
^+1 to that , I heard i d k for sure , that the test strips when aged , become less accurate since the test strip comes with some enzyme/ Stuff like extra humidity and dust can lead to a lot of inaccurate results.

ya thanks guys for your valuable suggestions.... will go with Acc-Chek Active.... Try to get it locally first if not then will buy it online only.... Thanks l33t and rajndra.....

Bought a AccuCheck Active yesterday incidently for my father.It's a little tricky for the needles to be inserted initially but good enough.The one I saw at the hospital last week had a much smaller device and the blood drop for the test could be smeared at the end of the strip unlike the one I have now where the chip or whatever is at the center.

I have been using an accu-chek active at my home ,for the past 2 years for my grandparents.. the strips and needles are easilt available even at the medical shops at the village they stay! pretty much accurate and easy to use !

I got Accu Check Compact for my father. He found it very easy to use, as there is no need to load strips separately.

However, machine and the drums(that hold the strips) are not available in India. You will need to procure them from US.

In case you can do that, you can get the machine for virtually free. Refer to my thread here

Back