Graphic Cards Which GTX 1080 card from US?

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Planning to get a GTX 1080 from US. GTX 1080 Ti seems to be far way as its not going to be announced till CES 2017 and my sister comes here next month.

Since I loved the triple fan Windforce design of my Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 , My immediate choice is the Gigabyte GTX1080 Windforce OC. Gigabyte XTreme series is way too costly and so not going for that.

Is there any other custom cooled card worth considering?

Planning to get a GTX 1080 from US. GTX 1080 Ti seems to be far way as its not going to be announced till CES 2017 and my sister comes here next month.

Since I loved the triple fan Windforce design of my Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 , My immediate choice is the Gigabyte GTX1080 Windforce OC. Gigabyte XTreme series is way too costly and so not going for that.

Is there any other custom cooled card worth considering?
dude that card sucks,u are purely wasting money on gigabyte.

better buy a evga 1080

EVGA Has NO and i mean it Absolutely NO competition when it comes to GPU in this case.
U will get 3 years International warranty(works in india) and also Liquid cooling warranty,Overclocking warranty and if that is not enough they are throwing almost 100$ freebies and their liquid cooled cards are hardly 50 usd more then fan versions.

also their customer support is the best i have seen.they come in action within minutes not weeks!

^^ The Gigabyte Windforce design definitely doesn't suck since I am presently using a stock overclocked GTX 980 variant of it and it was one of the best cards in the 980 era.

Still, I am fine with EVGA too. I am thinking about EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 but interestingly, I see a lot of negative feedback for the EVGA cards on Amazon especially for the FTW cards.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...wpoints=1&filterByStar=five_star&pageNumber=1

45% of the reviewers have rated it 1/5, but somehow the ML based rating system used by Amazon gives it an overall 4.3/5.

Are the issues associated with the FTW cards already fixed?

^^ The Gigabyte Windforce design definitely doesn't suck since I am presently using a stock overclocked GTX 980 variant of it and it was one of the best cards in the 980 era.

Still, I am fine with EVGA too. I am thinking about EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 but interestingly, I see a lot of negative feedback for the EVGA cards on Amazon especially for the FTW cards.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...wpoints=1&filterByStar=five_star&pageNumber=1

45% of the reviewers have rated it 1/5, but somehow the ML based rating system used by Amazon gives it an overall 4.3/5.

Are the issues associated with the FTW cards already fixed?
its fixed already,here is the statement from evga.
EDIT BY EVGA
We have identified this and can confirm that this occurs on a small number of 1080 FTW cards. We have found the root cause and have corrected it. If you are experiencing this problem please contact us directly at 888-880-3842 or at support@evga.com.

Avoid FTW 1080 - it has severe issues with its power delivery. There is a 30+ page thread on EVGA forums.

Even after their so called fix, there are still buggy cards in the channel. Check the latest updates in their forums.

^^ Yeah, looking at the EVGA forums, it definitely looks like the issue is not completely gone and some users are reporting some Super Clocked cards having similar issues. So, it doesn't look like any of the EVGA cards are safe to get.

Any other brands, specific cards worth considering?

I would advise against getting any GPU from abroad if you don't have friend or relatives who travel frequently.
If you still want to save money EVGA is still your best bet since they have international warranty but keep an eye out for what @Chaos has already mentioned.
My month old RX 470 conked off last week, lucky for me it wasn't such a big investment and I have a friend who's leaving for the US next month and another who returns in December so RMA isn't an issue either.

I also recommend holding off your upgrade for a bit until Vega and the rumored Pascal refresh come out, 6 months isn't that long of a period and I think your 980 still has some legs if you can let go of your ego and lower the settings a bit.
Since you'll already be spending upwards of $500, you might as well get something with HBM (not sure if it has been delayed yet again).

^^ Yeah, looking at the EVGA forums, it definitely looks like the issue is not completely gone and some users are reporting some Super Clocked cards having similar issues. So, it doesn't look like any of the EVGA cards are safe to get.

Any other brands, specific cards worth considering?
MSI is the best bet easily unless you care about warranty. I have a 1070 Gaming X and its whisper quiet running at full tilt.

PS: 1070 cards with micron memory also some instability issues due to the way the memory voltage is delivered.

Not sure if such issues exist in the GDDR5X 1080 cards too cos they also have micron memory.

Tentatively asked by sister to get the Gigabyte GTX1080 XTREME Gaming Premium by end of this month

EVGA seems too risky at the moment and I don't see any other compelling alternative. Asus ROG STRIX seems to have its fair share of issues and MSI doesn't offer anything over the Gigabyte.

I would advise against getting any GPU from abroad if you don't have friend or relatives who travel frequently.

I would much rather prefer the prospect of losing 30~40k on a US purchase than have to deal with the (mostly non-existent) after sales support in India. The last time I had to get a graphics card replaced, they took nearly 3 months time and I must have spent a few thousands on phone calls and running around. In any case, my sister travels to India once a year.

I also recommend holding off your upgrade for a bit until Vega and the rumored Pascal refresh come out, 6 months isn't that long of a period and I think your 980 still has some legs if you can let go of your ego and lower the settings a bit.
Since you'll already be spending upwards of $500, you might as well get something with HBM (not sure if it has been delayed yet again).

I thought I would skip this generation and I am still in two minds about it, but if I do, I will probably have to wait 1 year (or more) to get the card from US by which time there will be something else just around the corner. I will also have to hold off the plan to get a UHD display. HBM by itself is not any compelling reason for me without the numbers to prove that it adds significant value. Further, the cost of 1080Ti is expected to be around the $800 mark and I highly doubt vega would be significantly different.

I will also have to hold off the plan to get a UHD display.

This is the main reason I'm sticking with 1080p mainstream cards for the foreseeable future, when are we ever going to get some reasonably priced good monitors I wonder.
Why not get sell the 980 and get the 1070 instead in that case ? Won't be that big of an investment and should last easily for 2 years with all the bells and whistles turned on right upto QHD, there aren't any demanding games on the horizon either because of the stupid parity publishers try to maintain with consoles.
Pascal wasn't even supposed to be a real thing if you see older Nvidia slides and the moment Volta comes out they'll file it under legacy, I don't know about you but I'd be pretty pissed if they dropped optimizations in just 18 months for a $500+ gpu.

I would much rather prefer the prospect of losing 30~40k on a US purchase than have to deal with the (mostly non-existent) after sales support in India.

True that, I accompanied a friend last week to the local Gigabyte service center and was greeted by a guy chewing tobacco who was supposed to handle RMA, the guy was typing with his index fingers ffs.
I was kinda surprised he was able to mount a cpu and turn it on somehow to test whether the mobo was dead, ETA given was 8 days but he still hasn't heard from them.
I've had pretty decent luck as far as my components are concerned but I remember the nightmare my friend had to go through when his 9800 GX2 died in a month, those Rashi guys pretty much drove him mad.

Asus ROG STRIX seems to have its fair share of issues

If my 470 was anything to go by, that 0dB is complete bollocks, those were the noisiest fans I've ever heard on a gpu once they started spinning.

Why?if u cant ship items we cant help

decide yourself will you pay 50k for a 25k product or will u pay 3k to get a new one in 3 weeks......
The card I am eyeing is 6K more expensive in India. But I suspect that even shipping the card to Taiwan will get me better service than what we get here in India. Has anyone here ever got service from Taiwan? Is shipping cost 3k or lower?

The card I am eyeing is 6K more expensive in India. But I suspect that even shipping the card to Taiwan will get me better service than what we get here in India. Has anyone here ever got service from Taiwan? Is shipping cost 3k or lower?
I think the point was rather not communicated properly.

EVGA has international warranty on their GC lineup but they do not have a setup here. The closest is in Taiwan and hence the urge to ship it there for your warranty claims. If its just 6k more in India, I would suggest you to spend the 6k more for hassle free warranty claims.

I think the point was rather not communicated properly.

EVGA has international warranty on their GC lineup but they do not have a setup here. The closest is in Taiwan and hence the urge to ship it there for your warranty claims. If its just 6k more in India, I would suggest you to spend the 6k more for hassle free warranty claims.

The card I wanted was on sale at MDComputers today (EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB) and the cost was just 2K more than USA. So I bought it. I also talked to MDComputers guys and they told me that EVGA now has service network in India. Probably the service people themselves ship the card to Taiwan but at least I will be saving on the shipping.

Just do note that EVGA aren't the best when it comes to card quality (in terms of noise/cooling etc). They are known for the superb customer support.

Back