Which IDE for C++?

dpacmittal

Disciple
I don't know if this is the right question to ask?

But, I've programmed in Turbo C++ for quite a while. I know its ancient but hey, it works! Now, I want to program some GUI programs.

What all do I need?
I mean, I don't know whats needed - an IDE, libraries etc. ??
As, I've always programmed in 16bit, I don't know anything about GUI, so please help me out on this.

Regards

Use kdevelop or anjuta.

If you are making any KDE or QT based apps use kdevelop. And yes it will need loads of qtlibs.

If you are making any gtk specific apps use anjuta or even kdevelop too.

If you want to program for Linux as well, my suggestion would be Qt. I am also trying to learn it.

Nokia has recently launched a complete SDK for it which includes QtCreator IDE, Qt libraries, lot of demos, good documentation etc. Just install it and you are ready to code.

You can get it from www.qtsoftware.com/products.

For cross platform GUIs GTK+ is the way to go. Use Eclipse for cross platform IDE.

If you're Windows only, then Visual Studio .NET basically destroys everything else...

Its extremely to create GUIs in .NET. You can even stick to plain C/C++ without .NET using the Windows API for GUIs or using MFC but this is extremely difficult compared to .NET. The Visual Studio interface, debugging, everything is simply in a class of its own.

huh? GTK for cross platform? not only is that C mainly, i thot there were other better C++ ones.... like QT :p ... but what about others like WxWidgets for cross platform UI?

If you need to create cross platform GUIs in c++, there's nothing better than QT today, atleast after it's open sourced. QT creator is a very good IDE. It's intellisense, if you use templates heavily could be better than visual studio. One issue with it would be it uses mingw on windows which is gcc 3.x. Current versions of gcc(4.4 with fedora 11 eg) are much improved for c++.

Compiling qt sdk for microsoft c++ compiler(comes with visual studio express , 2008 professional for eg) is not hard at all, takes time though. Then you could download visual studio plugin and use it with vs if you so desire.

Remember, QT sdk includes threading, networking, serialization apis, qmake(simpler) build tool.

wxwidgets is also a good option, but with MFC style macros, that's not to my liking. And AFAIK IDEs supporting wxwidgets are not half as good as qtcreator.

Back