Which inverter to go for?

mumble

Disciple
I am in need of having computer backup (apc powerchute shows around 200W usage) for at least 8-12 hours for my work + a fan + a fluoroscent tube.

(planning to get a pure sine wave one)

What inverter rating and battery rating should I go for the above setting?

Stay with sukam/luminous battery or get amaron, etc? Suggestions needed in battery.

Sukam or Luminous?

regards

Do not buy Amaron... They may be good for automotive use but not for inverters. You should get a tubular battery with heavy plates. They seem to work best with inverters..

I've Amaron SHIELD ULM battery & have to get it replaced after 12 months since its water was turning black & backup reduced to 45 mins (160Ah battery).. they cannot withstand deep discharge for which you need a battery with heavy plates (thicker)...Exide is preferable here but its also most expensive..

By the way why do you have two threads for same topic...

You need backup for 8-12 hours for total wattage around 300 watts? ( there is no external graphics card in ur PC, right)

Even a 600 VA inverter can output 300 watts.

I never checked how much max backup my 155 mH Exide Inva Red can give but I do recall working (not gaming ;) ) for about 6+ hours and it was still going on fine. Though Fan was not on at that time.

in very simple words, For each 100 wts, 10 Amps approx are required from battery

So consider you need 300 watt / hour = 30 Amps approx, A 150 aH battery will last for approx 5 hours for your usage. Do the maths.

want to read more, check this http://www.batteryweb.com/pdf/inverter_battery_sizing_faq.pdf

good luck. :)

adi_vastava said:
You need backup for 8-12 hours for total wattage around 300 watts? ( there is no external graphics card in ur PC, right)

Even a 600 VA inverter can output 300 watts.

I never checked how much max backup my 155 mH Exide Inva Red can give but I do recall working (not gaming ;) ) for about 6+ hours and it was still going on fine. Though Fan was not on at that time.

in very simple words, For each 100 wts, 10 Amps approx are required from battery

So consider you need 300 watt / hour = 30 Amps approx, A 150 aH battery will last for approx 5 hours for your usage. Do the maths.

want to read more, check this http://www.batteryweb.com/pdf/inverter_battery_sizing_faq.pdf

good luck. :)

yes, dont have gfx card. yes 300 watt ll do, but planning for future too in case addition of gfx card and upgrade, so is an Sukam 800va sine wave + Exide 150 ah fine?

can a 600 va/800 va inverter charge 150/200 ah battery? in other words, is higher inverter rating needed for higher battery rating?

which one to go for in exide? could see a lot of variants plz suggest.

sukam, they are asking 6.8k for 800va sine. does that cost that much?

is it wise to go for local inverter makers? (as an ups repairing shop told he could make it :))

>>so is an Sukam 800va sine wave + Exide 150 ah fine?

As I said 150 aH will only give around 5 Hrs backup, so you may need higher capacity battery or two batteries. 800 VA definitely sounds good, even I am planning to upgrade mine to 800.

My 600 VA can charge 155 aH, though it takes time for that but its few year old now and there are chances that some new inverter may charge it faster.

>>which one to go for in exide?

I am no expert in this Bro, Search for reviews. Sorry. :(

I can tell you about Inva red + though, it comes with 3 years warranty (generally its 2), AMC guy keep visiting every quarter but it does not need anything till date. Not even water change. Obviously it depends upon duration of power cut.

>>sukam, they are asking 6.8k for 800va sine. does that cost that much?

Yeah they do, an economic but equally good option will be Genus, check it. Make sure its Sinewave. You need to check with few shops and bargain and than take best price + AMC in consideration.

Genus after sales is good but do check it in your area.

>>is it wise to go for local inverter makers?

Nope not at all for sinewave, square wave, yes; you can go if you know the person well otherwise no for that as well.

Go for Sukam. I had terrible experience with Luminous.

In any case, don't even think of buying anything other than a Pure Sine Wave, else your gadgets will be in danger (if running on inverter)

what about microtek??

does su-kam comes to customer house if something goes wrong??? and in how many days????

anyone have any experience with su-kam/microtek please share.....

Why don't you check on Crompton Greaves home ups,its a sine wave with two year warranty.
I have been using one for about two years & have no issues.
Invest on a tubular battery as they have a min life span of 5 to 6 years.A normal plate type of battery will last about two years.
Just ensure that you top up the battery with distilled water every two to three months depending on use.

Hi ,

I m using Luminous (tez) and Luminous tall tubular batteries for around 2 years now. I got a warranty for 3 years (there are some charges as you go in last year of warranty).
But over all i get a very reliable power backup. I am getting backup for 8hrs = 4Tubes+4fans+TV and moreover I dont have to call them for regular service they come every six months by themselves.

rgds
prm

Back