Which language/platform to use?

techygeek

Adept
I am starting work on my final year project.

It involves 2 parts a server application that runs continously and connects to a GSM modem.

The app checks for incoming SMS and performs appropriate databse transactions and then replies to it.

Also i have a web-portal.

both the web-portal and app access the same central database.

I need your suggesstions to how to implement these.

my current thoughts are

VB.Net for the server app

PHP for web-portal

MS SQL server for dtabase

Is it fine???

if not then please suggest changes.

I am more incline towards .net coz in that way i can learn vb.net too in the process of developing my project.

Why not pick an entire stack rather than a mix and match. I mean you could swap PHP for ASP, that way you get the entire MS stack. Alternatively you can use JSP/PHP + JBoss + MySQL

was thinking about ASP only.

so fine if i go with ASp.NET VB.NET ad sql server

what tools to use?

web matrix is good? and visual studio for the server app right??

my this project is a banking related service.

any idea on how i can approach banks with my idea.

the project would be a bigger success if a bank associates with it?

any banks that do such kind of things and how?

Banks are lucrative deals and you will need contacts and moolah to get something through to them. You might try your luck with some of the sarkari ones though. Also need to add that security plays a big factor in banking.

yea security is the main focus of my project.

also i can make my project without any banks help... but just thot that a bank's association would be added advantage.

Generally banks do not give such projects to individuals. Don't get me wrong, but their perspective is companies are more easier to deal with since they offer better security and stability. But theres no harm in pitching your idea. Shoot an email as a proposal for their system with high level business terms and not the nitty gritty stuff regarding your code.

You never know
<

If your project is centered around GSM and messaging, I'd recommend looking at http://www.asterisk.org/ and writing scripts for the remaining functionality. You can probably look at Python/MySQL for other functionality. Also as others have pointed out, it doesn't make sense to mix and match you stack. Either stick to a MS stack or a Open source stack.

Back