Which laptop - t6600 vs core i3-330m vs p8600

kidrow

Adept
Hi all! I need some help in deciding which laptop will be most suitable for using Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash & related graphics apps. [maybe 3ds Max?] etc. simultaneously [read multi-tasking].

So the laptops currently under consideration are-

1. An Asus K50IJ

C2D T6600 2.2 GHz,;Operating System Dos; 4GB DDR II (2GBx2); 15.6" HD (1366x768) LED; Video Graphics & Memory - Intel; Hard Drive 320GB, 5400rpm; 2 Years Warranty

2. Another Asus model which is the same as the above with the exception of -
Proccesor: i3-330/350m; 2GB DDR II; 1 Year Warranty

3. The MSI GX620, a deal for which has been listed here, thanks to Rahul.

C2D P8600 2.4GHz; 4GB Ram; 320 GB HDD; Gfo9600M GT 512MB DDR3; 15.4" WXGA(1280*800); Vista Home Premium; 2 Year Warranty.

So which of the 3 would best suit my needs? All of them are around the 31k mark.

Would any advantage that the i3 has over the 6600 be offset by the increased RAM? Where does the p8600 fit in? Considering multi-tasking, is the i3 [4 threads?] better?

I'm not really considering the gfx card seriously, cos 2d programs would not really require it. Correct? On the other hand, the card could potentially lead to overheating & shorter battery life. Or is that just nonsense?

My thinking is that it's between whichever is the better processor and the RAM, with the warranty in the background.

TIA.
PS: I'll be using the machine for hours at a stretch [6-8 hours].

kekerode said:
Now Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash comes with hardware acceleration enabled ... so they can take advantage of good GPU

Would you then say that the MSI is the best option? What would come next in the hierarchy? - the i3-330m with 2 gb ram or the t6600 with 4 gb ram? TIA.

EDIT: The MSI is out of contention. The deal is no longer available,

So which of the 2 are better: i3-330 with 2gb RAM n 1 year warranty or t6600 with 4gb RAM n 2 yr. warranty?

Guys, need your input on the better config. Usage is typically going to be Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash n other 2d graphics programs. Also, will probably be using 2 or more of these programs simultaneously, so multi-tasking is important.

Again, the MSI is out of question. So it leaves the Asus k501j with a t6600 n 4gb ddr2 ram n 2 yr. warranty; & the Asus a52f with a core i3 - 350m n 2gb ddr3 ram n 1 yr. warranty. I've been promised both for the same price i.e. 30.5k

Also need to know, typically, how is the Asus build quality [compared to the Dell Inspiron 15]. If someone's has a previous experience with an Asus, then probably you could shed some light.

Thanks.

Back