Which LED TV to go for?

Since my current LCD TV is deteriorating day by day, and I do not want to spend on repairing the same, I am planning to buy a new LED TV. Since I only want a basic TV from a decent brand, I have zeroed on following two options:

1. Philips 40PFL5059
2. Philips 42PFL4150

Since these are not available in local shops here, I am unable to check in person. I am planning to order online.

40-inch one is about 4500 rupees cheaper and 42 inch one uses IPS panel vs. VA panel of 40-inch. Refresh rate of 42-inch one is also better.

Anyone has any ideas about these models? Is the 42-inch model worth extra money? Should I consider another 40-inch model apart from these? I am not looking for Vu, Haier, Onida. Want to spend lesser than 35k.

The question you need to ask is: Is Philips worth the extra money? They are just rebranded Videocon LCD TV's, Videocon pays just 3% royalty for Philips brand name and the rest is pure profit for them.

My current TV is a Sony model that has a known problem with LCD screen developing blisters which have spread over almost the full screen, making the picture appear blur in case of dark scenes. It can be repaired by replacing the screen costing about 15k.

I don't intend to use it with PC, so that is not an issue for me. Anyone has any suggestions to choose among these or any other 40-inch led TV?

Better get a 50 inch TV from smaller brands like Micromax, VU etc for the same price, the performance is good and the reviews are nice and the price paid is so low that you don't even need to care about using the same TV for 10 years, buy from Flipkart as you get 30 days Replacement Guarantee.

Thanks for suggestion for a larger TV. I would have gone for a Vu model, but it is available on flipkart only and unfortunately flipkart does not deliver TVs to my PIN code. So have to use amazon or snapdeal only. Local price of Vu TVs is much higher.[DOUBLEPOST=1439127527][/DOUBLEPOST]
What do you watch on the TV?
Mostly used by my wife to watch serials. Occasionally I watch news and sports and movies from pen drive. Kid watches her cartoon sometimes. No games or plans to connect as external monitor

I have the Philips 40PFL4958. was bought for 26,500 7 months ago. The sound quality is so so and volume is low when using an HDMI. I have used it only to connect a laptop to watch H265 stuff and my PS3 via the component cable. It's VFM.

42 is better. Due to thickness constraints most TV's sound will sound tinny.
Few models like LG 5820 offer decent sound.
You can always use external speakers. Check out the sound on the showroom. That would give reasonable idea. Remember sound behaves differently in the showroom and in your home.

I had a Sony 32 inch LCD which developed blisters on screen within one year . Sony service center asked me 12k to replace the panel but with no guarantee . I exchanged it with a sharp 40inch led tv which offers three year guarantee. I got just 2k for sony .I would suggest to go with a set which offers at least three year guarantee.[DOUBLEPOST=1439312128][/DOUBLEPOST]
PicsArt_1439312077921.jpg

Last edited:
@madhukannan, my TV also has same problem. But it appeared after 3 years.[DOUBLEPOST=1439313217][/DOUBLEPOST]LG 5820 seems to be a good choice, but it is beyond my budget of about 40k. But I will still keep it as one option.

I bought my Videocon 39 incher full hd with integrated DDB service for 29k from Vijay Sales earlier this year. This is the model :Videocon VJU40FH 98 cm (39) Full HD (DDB Technology) LED Television (http://www.snapdeal.com/product/videocon-vju40fhhx-40-inches-full/703327930).
It plays most formats from my harddrive or usb thumb drive. I got a year's worth of Videocon DDB subscription - all channels SD & HD with it. I have connected my HTPC to one of the 2 hdmi ports. The tv comes with 3 years of warranty. I have been happy with Videocon's over enthusiastic response to the initial setup and constant customer satisfaction calls. The tv seems to be well made because it fell 2 feet onto wooden cabinet from its wall mounting while I was fiddling with the ports (my fault completely) nothing happened to the tv. The panel is not an IPS panel the colours look a bit washed out with the htpc playing content on it but playing around with brightness and contrast settings resolved it to a acceptable degree. SD & HD content playing on Videocon's DDB service looks fine I am extremely happy with the tv.

I guess Both Videocon/Philips is better, I have Philips 40" model, and I'm fully satisfied with the Picture quality. for sound obviously one has to spend atleast 1.5k to get some external speaker in any LED models nowadays.

Thanks for your inputs guys. I bought the Philips 42 inch model. Got it delivered but not yet got a chance to get it installed. Possibly the Philips guy will come tomorrow for installation and demo.

Could not wait any longer, as the current one was spolit too much to take chances with eyesight of my family.

Back