Budget 0-20k Which mATX NAS case?

rock_ya_baby

~~~=o=~~~
Adept
Suggestions please

I need something in size/shape of CM Elite 130 but mATX.

Any rackmount 4u options, by the way?

Build:
Intel G4560 + B250M based mobo
4xSAS disks
2xSATA disks
2xSSDs
1xLSI HBA
1x Dual gig Intel NIC
16G DDR4

This will sit in my server rack at home. Looking for decent rack mount cases, if possible, which can hold a full size PCI card with decent amount of space for HDDs. Else anything that's easily available in CM 130 size.

Budget under 7K INR

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_20180626_092737772.jpg
    IMG_20180626_092737772.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 220
Suggestions please

I need something in size/shape of CM Elite 130 but mATX.

Any rackmount 4u options, by the way?

Build:
Intel G4560 + B250M based mobo
4xSAS disks
2xSATA disks
2xSSDs
1xLSI HBA
1x Dual gig Intel NIC
16G DDR4

This will sit in my server rack at home. Looking for decent rack mount cases, if possible, which can hold a full size PCI card with decent amount of space for HDDs. Else anything that's easily available in CM 130 size.

Budget under 7K INR

I have changed my mobo to mITX, now I can get CM Elite 130 case but it will take some DIY to fit that many disks. Wish the Fractal Design Node 304 was available in India :/ that thing can accommodate fair number of disk in cube form factor

There are 4U rackmounts, but expensive. The cheapest I could get was a Chembro chassis, but I need to check rates. However, not in 7K for sure. A 2U used might fit in. It will fit all of the stuff you have, barring the card if full height, which can be done with using risers.

Looping in @cyberwarfare

If you dont need hotswap, look at the Intel chassis. These have 9 5.25" bays allowing installation of 4 HDDs. I am saying hotswap is not needed because I am not sure if its possible.

Cost is about 8K but this is nearly EATX.

P4304XXMUXX

appreciate all the inputs from you chaps.

it's still a sad state of affairs isn't it. all we are asking for is a chasis which can go horizontal in a server rack. Just put provisions to add 2 rack ears already on these big tower cases.

Last edited:
to build my vSphere datastore (think SMB, NAS, JBOD, 2G uplink/bundle to core switch), I've got -

4x 2.5" SAS 10K.rpm disks
-- attached to LSI 9211-8i IT mode card

4x 3.5" WD Blue 5K.rpm disks
-- attached to mobo ports

2x 2.5" SSDs
-- attached to mobo ports

CPU is Intel under clocked/voltage if possible G4560

RAM 8G ballistic DDR4 2400mhz for now

Mobo mITX AsRock model

------------------------------

All I need is a decent affordable horizontal case or whatever simplistic tower EATX that can hold 12 varied size disks, mITX mobo. I'lI shelf it in my rack if it comes to that.

I know the title says mATX case, I was locked onto CM130. But i am now thinking for scalability and future expansion.

Last edited:
There are 4U rackmounts, but expensive. The cheapest I could get was a Chembro chassis, but I need to check rates. However, not in 7K for sure. A 2U used might fit in. It will fit all of the stuff you have, barring the card if full height, which can be done with using risers.

Looping in @cyberwarfare
What are the options available for a 4U NAS chassis though, with hot swap bays? I've been dying to find something similar to the Norco 4220 here in India. The advantage with the Norco apart from the SAS backplane was that the fan wall was replaceable with one having 3 x 120mm quieter fans, as were the fans at the back as well.

Not sure about now, but Prime Source (primesource.in) used to sell some rackmount chassis when I got a regular 4U one from them around 3-4 years back. It was basically a server chassis without the middle fan wall, in which I put a SuperMicro 5 HDD rack in three 5.25" bays. The total came to around 20k at that time.

appreciate all the inputs from you chaps.

it's still a sad state of affairs isn't it. all we are asking for is a chasis which can go horizontal in a server rack. Just put provisions to add 2 rack ears already on these big tower cases.

Well, whiteboxes are still by and far rare here. People still think branded is better.

I think the Intel will do the job, but I am not sure about the rack ears - the chassis has support but who sells, I do not know.

Its the same as @Niks said - 4U with HDD racks.

@Niks Another option is the Chembro 4U tower. I will check the model number and revert. It has 8 HS only though.

Apart from that, the entry level 4U QNAP/Supermicro is 24K plus taxes. B2B only though AFAIK.

Back