Which Mobile Os to consider for career perspective

hello guys, I am thinking of either ios or android os as my platform to build applications. I wanted to know which of these technologies would be more relavant from career perspective. AFAIK, TCS dosent recruit mobile apps developers for android but only for ios.(Correct me if i am wrong). While infy does hire android appliacation developers(dont know about ios apps developer).

So which of these would bear more fruit? Apple is known for its rigidness while google supports open source technology. Can anyone working on either technologies within the industry can throw more knowlege on it? Btw, i am a complete noob for either Objective C or java for that matter, have started with hello world app for android, just wanted to know which would be the right platform.

I don't have concrete info, but my guess is that iOS should have better prospects as companies looking to earn from mobile app sales would have better chances of making money on iOS based devices as opposed to Android based ones. It also helps that due to lack of segmentation in the iOS space, apps app designing becomes easier (not talking about complexity of Objective C vs Java here).

There is a huge demand for both iOS and Android developers in the market especially in India where a lot of outsourced work comes. You can choose any of those and be successful.

The market keeps on changing rapidly based on the technological advances, so you have to be flexible enough to adapt and change if required. This choice between iOS/Android is not going to be the last one you make in your career.

Android's range of devices/tablets is much larger than iOS and so is their growth rate. None of this matters for an individual developer as the demand is much more than the current supply.

I cannot suggest you any one of these two but can say that your decision of going into mobile/tablet development is a very good one.

Welcome to the industry and good luck.

Surveys have found that Apple app store gives more chances for an app to be sold. Also once you learn Objective-C, you can also develop apps for Mac app store.

Another platform to consider is WP7. C# or VB are damn easy when compared to all of other languages, MS's development tools beats all other hands down and when Nokia starts releasing WP7 phones, there will be a huge demand of WP7 apps. Also WP7 store has low number of apps, so it can be a good chance to get yourself noticed.

I am no expert but I think Android would be a better choice because there is a chance that Dalvik is ported to other platforms apart from Android. It would be a cold day in hell before we see iOS on an device other than Apple branded ones! Why no tr your hand at both and see which you like better?

AFAIK ios is better, because apple pays a large amount for devs and with app store so many apps came to light and shine...

For android, even it conquers the market it does not match with ios..

my vote goes to ios...

start learning and start earning...

go for ios , they have been before android and even after android exploding the market their app demand is high , it will better market wise ..

Can i be the odd one out and say go Qt and target S40 / S60 / MeeGo and Android ?

Personally developing for MeeGo Harmattan / S^3 and planning to work on stuff for desktop MeeGo as well. Intel and Nokia's dev support is top notch.

dhruvrock2000 said:
Can i be the odd one out and say go Qt and target S40 / S60 / MeeGo and Android ?

Personally developing for MeeGo Harmattan / S^3 and planning to work on stuff for desktop MeeGo as well. Intel and Nokia's dev support is top notch.

just as i expected from you...

+1 for QT. Not only you can learn to make mobile, app with the same code you can build Apps for desktops for all O.S alike.

Among those two, I will say both are very platform centric. Learn a toolkit / language that can fetch as many platform for app development. Qt + Cpp/Java/Python fits the bill.

I'm just thinking and I may be wrong but how will developing apps from TCS/Infy make more money than being a freelancer? I mean TCS/Infy have fixed packages right? and doing well will mean promos not extra, extra cash.

The app that will be developed will be fixed by client, so it won't be your "own" app and it will be the companies and client's property?

@OP Are you choosing between 2 companies or projects in the same company?

dhruvrock2000 said:
Read the reply from Dark Star. I'm not some blind fanboy.

hey dont take that way.... i said cause (i think) you are a QT/Memeo Nokia developer... thats what i said, no offense here...

Having worked on both these platforms , what I can tell you iOS is getting a lot more traction from mobile app developers. This is because most of the iOS users spend on apps. This ensures better ROI (Return on investment). Also , the adoption rate for iOS is high among corporates. Take ceo of any company , he more likely to have an iPad /iPhone for work . Because of these reasons,currently there are a lot more opportunities in the iOS space than in Android. But the mobile space is rapidly changing and iOS may not leader in the coming years.

Developing for mobile device is completely different ball game compared to developing for desktop. Its doesn't matter which platform you choose for learning. As long as you got your foundations right , you should be comfortable working any of these platform. Please don't choose Qt. Developing for iOS has a advantage in the sense that it is easier to move to mac development. But you would need a mac and this means some additional investment. On other hand , android is free and can be installed in your existing machine.

quixand said:
I'm just thinking and I may be wrong but how will developing apps from TCS/Infy make more money than being a freelancer? I mean TCS/Infy have fixed packages right? and doing well will mean promos not extra, extra cash.
wrong. With promotion does come rise in package. With serving in tcs you have a grading-point system. depending on your grade the hike is revised.
quixand said:
The app that will be developed will be fixed by client, so it won't be your "own" app and it will be the companies and client's property?

@OP Are you choosing between 2 companies or projects in the same company?
I am not choosing between either. During my tenure with tcs i did see corporates and their projects tending more towards ios/ipad applications. But i guess there were none for android. Perhaps it may have changed now. Guess anyone currently working in tcs can throw some light on this. While one of my colleague is in infy and he works as an app developer on android os.
sandy453 said:
Having worked on both these platforms , what I can tell you iOS is getting a lot more traction from mobile app developers. This is because most of the iOS users spend on apps. This ensures better ROI (Return on investment). Also , the adoption rate for iOS is high among corporates. Take ceo of any company , he more likely to have an iPad /iPhone for work . Because of these reasons,currently there are a lot more opportunities in the iOS space than in Android. But the mobile space is rapidly changing and iOS may not leader in the coming years.
I see what you mean.. i have seen the same thing from the VP's and ceo's. Its like apple is the EOV(end-of-view). No looking at other technologies.

sandy453 said:
Developing for mobile device is completely different ball game compared to developing for desktop. Its doesn't matter which platform you choose for learning. As long as you got your foundations right , you should be comfortable working any of these platform. Please don't choose Qt. Developing for iOS has a advantage in the sense that it is easier to move to mac development. But you would need a mac and this means some additional investment. On other hand , android is free and can be installed in your existing machine.
Any special reasons for not going for Qt??

a simple question,

which platform(OS) have more and better apps,,, and have more income, more developers support, fastest way to crack the charts,,,

Its IOS dude...

think a game like angry birds, fruit ninja, slice it,, a simple and addicting games have more profit...

And remember each OS have different SDK such as Xcode, Android SDK, Qt... a basic knowledge in python/java/C++

hope this help,

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

a simple question,
which platform(OS) have more and better apps,,, and have more income, more developers support, fastest way to crack the charts,,,
Its IOS dude...
think a game like angry birds, fruit ninja, slice it,, a simple and addicting games have more profit...

And remember each OS have different SDK such as Xcode, Android SDK, Qt... a basic knowledge in python/java/C++
hope this helps,

Tejas01 said:
wrong. With promotion does come rise in package. With serving in tcs you have a grading-point system. depending on your grade the hike is revised.

Dude. Everybody knows the perks and benefits of promotions. My point is that Service Oriented companies will have fixed tenures/cycles before you can actually get one. If I'm a freelancer and develop an app and charge for it, it goes into my pocket. When working for a company the company and client owns that product, so how is it going to make you richer (by the same amount) ?

Are you suggesting that an iOS dev in TCS etc. will have a steeper growth curve than any other dev working on other technologies?

I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask? Developing a client's app will generally won't fetch you runaway cash in a service oriented company compared to Startups/Freelancing.

quixand said:
Dude. Everybody knows the perks and benefits of promotions. My point is that Service Oriented companies will have fixed tenures/cycles before you can actually get one. If I'm a freelancer and develop an app and charge for it, it goes into my pocket. When working for a company the company and client owns that product, so how is it going to make you richer (by the same amount) ?

Agreed.misquoted your statement.

quixand said:
Are you suggesting that an iOS dev in TCS etc. will have a steeper growth curve than any other dev working on other technologies?

No I wont say entirely. It cant and should never be a one sided battle. But if the current scenario continue where ios platform is given more preference than others then, atleast in our country, ios dev will have more growth because of the exposure they would be getting. Android has caught up in a big way to ios and after going throu their i/o videos, any dev should feel confortable that android is here to stay for long.[/quote]

quixand said:
I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask? Developing a client's app will generally won't fetch you runaway cash in a service oriented company compared to Startups/Freelancing.

yes agreed. but working for such service oriented company would give you the much needed foundation i.e. not money but exposure, experience.

Can anyone suggest some good books for android development for novice/newbie developers? Want to start from scratch.Besides i am also learning java but still much is left to be covered.

Back