Laptops Which Netbook to buy - Asus Eee PC 1000HE or Samsing NC10?

Corleone

Adept
Hey,

After using my Acer Aspire One for sometime and then giving it to my uncle I am in need to buy a new one for myself.

I have finalised two and need your help in picking one:

1. Asus Eee PC 1000HE
2. Samsung NC 10

I am leaner towards the Asus for the better battery life but, I feel the Samsung looks better and is sleek.

Anyone having first hand experience or any suggestions, opinions, anything!

Regards.

I finalized the same two as well, but I'm buying a 1000HE over the Samsung NC10 this week or the next. My main reasons are.

1) Battery life (1000HE lasts longer than the NC10)

2) Looks are subjective - I like the chiclet style keyboard of the 1000HE, but the NC10 does look very good as well.

3) The NC10 DOES appear to be a bit sturdier than the 1000HE in terms of materials used, but the 1000HE does not seem to creak or flex either - so it comes down to price

I got quoted 23,500 for the NC10, while I was quoted 25K for the 1000HE, the dealer came down to less than 24K for it finally which makes it a very good buy in my books.

Another positive for both - both don't have glossy screens. I checked out the new Acer D250 at the croma store. I'm not a fan of glossy screens. With light coming from behind you, it reflects terribly on the glossy screen, I didn't like that at all, and for day to day usage, its a definite no-no.

Whatever you buy - they're both great netbooks!

The Asus. Battery is awesome. I'm using a HE battery with my 1000H. ( approx 9 on XP and 7+ on win 7). Swapped with my cousin's HE :p. The wifi is better on the HE (N speeds) compared to the N on mine.

AK3D said:
I finalized the same two as well, but I'm buying a 1000HE over the Samsung NC10 this week or the next. My main reasons are.

1) Battery life (1000HE lasts longer than the NC10)

2) Looks are subjective - I like the chiclet style keyboard of the 1000HE, but the NC10 does look very good as well.

3) The NC10 DOES appear to be a bit sturdier than the 1000HE in terms of materials used, but the 1000HE does not seem to creak or flex either - so it comes down to price

I got quoted 23,500 for the NC10, while I was quoted 25K for the 1000HE, the dealer came down to less than 24K for it finally which makes it a very good buy in my books.

Another positive for both - both don't have glossy screens. I checked out the new Acer D250 at the croma store. I'm not a fan of glossy screens. With light coming from behind you, it reflects terribly on the glossy screen, I didn't like that at all, and for day to day usage, its a definite no-no.

Whatever you buy - they're both great netbooks!

Right. Glossy screens are ok for movies but, for work they aren't that good.

Hmm... Good reasons u mentioned. Also, Draft N Wifi is a plus.

Naga said:
The Asus. Battery is awesome. I'm using a HE battery with my 1000H. ( approx 9 on XP and 7+ on win 7). Swapped with my cousin's HE :p. The wifi is better on the HE (N speeds) compared to the N on mine.

You actually reached 9 hours on XP with this?

Also, I hear Windows 7 has better power management features but, 7 hours - that's two hrs down! How does it make Win 7 Power Management better :p

Also, since you have access to 1000HE any cons you'd like me to be aware of? I hear touchpad is slow and is NOT synaptics?

Also, Can someone tell me if Asus One Year Warranty is International or Domestic?

MohitPreet said:
Asus Eepc 1000he Is The Best Netbook Option Imo!!

I guess Asus Eee PC 1000HE it will have to be. Any GOs around here for that? Haven't seen any.

But, exams hain. I will be buying in June end only :p

What about Aspire One AO 751 for 26k :D

5200 mah battery, 11.6 HD screen (1366X768), Z530 CPU + Poulsbo chipset (4W TDP of both), hardware video decoding, larger kbd :)

Its available in Croma for around 26.5k

Corleone said:
You actually reached 9 hours on XP with this?

Also, I hear Windows 7 has better power management features but, 7 hours - that's two hrs down! How does it make Win 7 Power Management better :p

Also, since you have access to 1000HE any cons you'd like me to be aware of? I hear touchpad is slow and is NOT synaptics?

Also, Can someone tell me if Asus One Year Warranty is International or Domestic?

The track pad is multi touch, much better than synaptics. You'll have to dl drivers from the manufacturer's site, though.

I didn't touch 9 hrs on XP as such, but I did manage to use it for 7 hrs odd with the battery not draining completely (daily office apps+ EVDO). The time left in the status message was still arnd 2 hrs.

Windows 7, I reckon, uses much more processor resources than XP. That's why it's snappier than XP on the same platform, I guess. Now that I'm using 7 regularly, I've noticed it runs less than 7hrs. Enough for me, though.

The only con I can think off for the HE is the glossy lid, a finger print magnet :p

Naga said:
The track pad is multi touch, much better than synaptics. You'll have to dl drivers from the manufacturer's site, though.

I didn't touch 9 hrs on XP as such, but I did manage to use it for 7 hrs odd with the battery not draining completely (daily office apps+ EVDO). The time left in the status message was still arnd 2 hrs.

Windows 7, I reckon, uses much more processor resources than XP. That's why it's snappier than XP on the same platform, I guess. Now that I'm using 7 regularly, I've noticed it runs less than 7hrs. Enough for me, though.

The only con I can think off for the HE is the glossy lid, a finger print magnet :p

Hey Naga - helpful as always! :D

Thank you for your feedback. You say track pad is good so no probs now. How about the keyboard?

OK Great! So you dual Boot between Windows XP and Windows 7?

Fingerprint Magnet OK - that's not an issue for me :p

Anyways, Is the 1000HE available without Windows XP Home - I mean Linux or something? The reason is I got XP Pro Retail and I thought I could save some bucks choosing for the Linux Platforms. Drivers I can get from Asus Website.

Anyways, a bit off topic. Since you mentioned EVDO - you are using BSNL EVDO? If yes, how the performance and does it support Roaming? Monthly charges are Rs. 500 for Unlimited right?

The kb on the HE is much better. The keys are spaced out like the KBs on the Sony Vaios.

I'm running solely 7 as of now. It's just too good. By the time the RC runs out, I'll get either a retail 7 or go back to XP since the OS CD was provided with the netbook.

My speeds on EVDO average arnd 14 KBps as 3G has not been implemented here yet. Rental is Rs. 250/- per month. No idea about roaming as never used it outside my state limits. I normally use Airtel MO when travelling outside my state since my phone is always with me :). In case you plan to use EVDO on 7, u'll have to install the software and wait for it to timeout when it tries to detect the device. Then manually update the drivers from the EVDO program files folder.

I'm not sure about the Linux variants but there should be an option for Linux.

OT - Naga, how long does it take Win7 to boot up? How much space does it take up on the HDD? Is it very snappy on the Atom processor - you mentioned XP was snappier, but is running Win7 a drag? Did you try turning down the graphics options and see what happened (the intel chipset is not exactly a speed monster when it comes to graphics).

I love the keyboard layout on the HE as well.

Linux isn't an option on these netbooks unless you install it yourself.

AK3D said:
OT - Naga, how long does it take Win7 to boot up? How much space does it take up on the HDD? Is it very snappy on the Atom processor - you mentioned XP was snappier, but is running Win7 a drag?

Nah, 7 is much snappier than XP :eek:hyeah: ! I'll edit this post about the boot up time later on. I normally just let it sleep. Space no idea as I have quite a few apps installed as of now.

Back