Which plan for intense, but infrequent use

IdiotNRI

Disciple
I am a NRI making about 4-5 trips per year to India (mostly Kolkata, but also Delhi, Mumbai and some mofussil places). When I am in India, I tend to use the net for about 8-10 hours every weekday, less on weekends. Which ISP/plan can you ustads recommend for me?

I had a time-based plan with Tata, but their service is poor (frequent downtime, no repairing during weekends and an absolutely awful customer service). Is there anything similar with another provider?

I am reluctant to sign up on some kind of a monthly plan, since it will be wasted during 8 out of 12 months, with no usage at all.

Thanks

If your coming to Kolkata get Alliance Broadband....Cheap and very good.....256kbps Unlimited at 560 bucks pm.

How about going with Airtel itself and their monthly plans. Once you are out of India you can send an email to customer care and ask them to park/deactivate your account till you get back and just before you return to India another email can reactivate your line.

Btw are you looking for a wireless or wired line ?

bottle said:
How about going with Airtel itself ...
Btw are you looking for a wireless or wired line ?

Wireless would be ideal, since that would allow me to connect at multiple locations. Plus, hopefully, activate my account and get going quickly - without waiting for an installation-chacha to come along

BTW, someone told me that Airtel Broadband will soon be phased out. Is that fact or fiction? [Presume with Airtel you mean Vodafone now?]

H2O said:
If your coming to Kolkata get Alliance Broadband....Cheap and very good.....256kbps Unlimited at 560 bucks pm.

Thanks for pointing out this provider; I was unaware of them.

But it seems they have a lot of unhappy customers - please see here

Alliance has 1 of best customer service. But at the same time they are worst in delivering promises regarding speeds. They will give you half of what they promise. But on positive note they will give that service in few hours times as against few days of other ISPs.

Do you need high speed connections?
Do you need to do huge uploads of hundreds of megabytes?

If you answer is yes then do not go for alliance.

p_sam21 said:
Alliance has 1 of best customer service. But at the same time they are worst in delivering promises regarding speeds. They will give you half of what they promise. But on positive note they will give that service in few hours times as against few days of other ISPs. ....

Thanks very much for your comment.

It is interesting that your remarks are exactly the opposite of most comments I have read - usually people find Alliance's speeds to be good, but customer service to be terrible!

Possible. Since the broadband (thats what they call it !!) they offer is distributed via cable operators, it might differ from area to area. And what they called 56 kbps was 32 kpbs of downloading + 24 kbps of uploading. That was 3 years back, when i didnt have too many options of "always on" internet. But service wise they were very co operative, call them and they are at your house within 30 mins, they used to roam around in area and run wherever called :rofl:

Back