Which Programming language is like PHP?

First of, I know basics of C, C++, (both used in old TurboC), PHP, javascript, mysql, VB (very little).

Though I am much computer savvy, I am a mechanical engg student. For my final year project, I need to write a big program to simulate something (a physical phenomenon) and do calculations.

I am most comfortable with PHP as I have used it most.
I love php for the following reasons: (I'll compare with C as C is what I prefer after PHP):

1) There is no headache of variable data type conversions, or no declaration needed
2) The convenient C like syntax
3) All the similar functions are much easier compared to C
For example: String manipulations, File handling (need it for outputting results),
4) User inputting and outputting is userfriendly (with the help of html forms) in contrast to taking input 1 by 1 in the DOS console for C.
5) The Immensely helpful php manual (proper documentation)
6) Large no. of built in functions for petty but irritating tasks, For example: trim()

However it isn't wise to use PHP for my program as it is a scripting language, intended for web development and requires a webserver running. More importantly, its execution time is limited.

So, I am looking for a programming language which is like PHP and can serve my purpose well. Please suggest me suitable some language.
Also it would be a bonus if the language has good support for graph plotting like how MATLAB does. I dont want to use matlab coz its not C-like, its slow, and its more of a software than a programming language.

The first language comes to my mind after reading your whole post is Python. And I guess 90% of the members here will suggest you Python :D It does everything you said above.

Well, one more thing, as you said, using PHP you can take input from HTML forms, there is nothing like you need to run PHP only in web server. You can also run it from console.

And you can also use C as your backend in web server using CGI concept. This also holds for all other languages too.(Others please correct me here if I'm wrong)

So basically you can run any languages on console(client side) and web-server(HTML forms). Ya if you want to take inputs and show outputs in HTML then you need to run that backend code on webserver.

Your other options are VB.NET, C#.NET, Java, if you are looking for "PHP like thing" in your words ASP.NET, JSP etc. There are other languages also like Ruby, Perl etc. etc.

But I strongly recommend Python over everything. It's the best programming language I've ever learnt. You'll find it easiest and more optimized than others(if you know other languages too).

Python rocks in all aspects. :D

I know python as well as php. First of all, get it clear that php can run without a web server. php is mostly used in web applications.

What I think is, for your application, you should consider python, because it has excellent math capabilities in the standard library itself, and it is easy to learn python.

There are no C-like brace system, all is by indentation, the best feature of the language.

Back