PC Peripherals Which PSU to buy?

Hi all, my friend has an old PC running P-IV. He was using Frontech 450W PSU, which failed recently. Now, we are looking to buy a new one.

My friend plans to buy a new PC later in the year. That PC will be latest with all branded and quality hardware. So, we were thinking of going for a branded PSU like Cooler Master, Corsair, etc. Wanted to ask which PSU should we buy, and of what wattage?

He is a professional videographer/photographer, and shoots wedding videos. He will soon buy a full HD camera, and will also need a video editor to edit those videos. So, somewhat powerful enough PC will be required with good processor, minimum Intel i5, good graphics card, with minimum 2 TB hard drive, and a PCI card to capture the video from the video camera.

So, what wattage should we go for, and which PSU? Preferably, bronze certified.

The current PC has an old ATX cabinet. Wanted to ask if the new PSU will fit in that cabinet or not? Will the new PSU will be compatible with the old ASUS motherboard?

Oh, and I saw the sticky about APC UPS not being compatible with some PSUs. We will be buying APC UPS for the new PC. So, please tell about PSU from regards too.

Will it be good to buy a new branded PSU for this old PC, or should we just buy another local one, like Frontech?

If we go for local PSUs, which are the good brands? Please tell (please tell this anyway irrespective of branded PSU, as will need this info for other PCs of family/friends.)

It would depend on what hardware you plan to run on. people will be able to suggest you better if you post more details on - processor, video card, SSD, HDD etc and maybe future plans for any upgrades.

I have already mentioned these details.

The configuration isn't decided yet, as there is still quite sometime in buying a new PC, but I posted what we would go for.

Processor would either be i5 or i7, most probably i5, because i7 is very costly.

I don't have much idea about video card.. most probably will go for NVIDIA one.

Already posted about hard drive, 2 TB SATA, with maybe 2 other older SATA drives.

RAM will be minimum 8 GB.. as planning to run 64-bit Windows, probably Windows 7.

A good 650w from corsair should be able to handle most components well considering the power consumptions of today's hardware. It will give you enough room to explore. If you are going to upgrade within 6months i suggest get a vs650 should be enough for you, If you are not planning on upgrading for next 1-1.5years i suggest get a basic 300w unit maybe under 2k and use it till you upgrade, There are more expensive options in corsair but vs is best budget psu one can buy.

A good 650w from corsair should be able to handle most components well considering the power consumptions of today's hardware. It will give you enough room to explore. If you are going to upgrade within 6months i suggest get a vs650 should be enough for you

Thank you for the suggestion :).

How about Cooler Master PSU with the same wattage?

If you are not planning on upgrading for next 1-1.5years i suggest get a basic 300w unit maybe under 2k and use it till you upgrade, There are more expensive options in corsair but vs is best budget psu one can buy.

Basic 300W is suggestion for brands like Corsair and Cooler Master, or any local ones like Frontech, etc?

In local ones, any suggestions, which are the "good" PSUs?[DOUBLEPOST=1495887631][/DOUBLEPOST]I didn't get any email notification for the new replies in this thread, since I last posted. I wonder why.

I had actually used this link before. I came across this link on one of the PSU sites.

When I went to choose processor and GPU for the above link, there are so many choices, for i5 and NVIDIA cards, it's quite confusing which one to choose, specially the GPU, as I have really no idea about it.

To run the latest version of Adobe Premiere Pro, or video editor from Avid, which GPU will be required, and which processor?[DOUBLEPOST=1495974115][/DOUBLEPOST]OK, I got some basic idea of the processor and GPU, based on which I submitted the data on the outervision site, and got the recommended PSU wattage to be 482 W. So, based on this, which PSU should we go for?

Still Corsair VS650 will be recommended? Or, a PSU of lower wattage like 550 W or 600 W can be used?

Also, will this PSU fit in the old ATX cabinet? The old ATX cabinet had a Frontech 450 W PSU being used till now, which was bought 4-5 years ago perhaps.

Last edited:
OK, I got some basic idea of the processor and GPU, based on which I submitted the data on the outervision site, and got the recommended PSU wattage to be 482 W. So, based on this, which PSU should we go for?
The second link has a list of PSUs. You can pick a tier 3 or better rated PSU. For a start, 482W requirement you can pick Seasonic S12 II 520W.

Buy from one of the reputed brands only. Check the review of the psu you have chosen before buying. As it will help you understand what you are getting.

OK, thank you. I will do that.

My preference is to go for a reputed brand only.

But, for the time being, we may go with a local PSU for now. As my friend needs the PC as soon as possible, and I think I need sometime before deciding which branded PSU to go for.

There is also the question of whether the new branded PSU will fit in the older ATX cabinet or not. Also, if it will be compatible with the old motherboard or not.

Considering such things, we may decide to go for a local PSU, and leave the branded one to buy with the new PC when we assemble it. Let's see.

If we do go for a local PSU, which one is better? I have asked this question quite a few times now, and haven't got a reply yet.

I am also asking this, because often, there is requirement to assemble a PC for general home usage with a limited budget, and there the local PSUs, like Frontech are good to go.[DOUBLEPOST=1496167946][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW, I am not getting email notification for the new replies to the thread. I was getting until recently. I think there has been some change in forum recently, because of which this problem is occurring? I checked in the Options, and the option to receive email notification is on. Can a moderator please look into this?

I have to login here to check for new replies.

Hi guys, we decided to go for a cheaper power supply this time, for the old PC. We bought this PSU from Frontech.

http://www.amazon.in/Frontech-JIL-2...1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1496862147&sr=1-3

from a local shop.

I wanted to go for a branded one, but was still confused, as stated in my previous posts. It would require a bit more of thought and research to get a good branded PSU, and therefore, I left it for later.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will definitely keep them in mind.

Strangely though, I asked for price of the Corsair PSU which was suggested, and these shops which are considered quite good, didn't have any branded PSUs. It's really surprising. Maybe these PSUs just don't sell a lot, and so they don't keep them.

The one shop where we went showed us an Excess PSU... a brand I never heard of before. It was 450W and price was 450 Rs. We asked for a better quality PSU, and he showed some PSU named Huntkey for 2000 Rs and 2 years warranty. I later searched and it is some Chinese company.

He showed another middle range PSU from Circle, and it was priced at Rs 850. I don't remember the wattage... maybe 450W or 500W... I am not sure. I later checked, and saw that Circle PSUs have 80 Plus Bronze rating, which is surprising. Anyways, I didn't know it that time. The PSU looked good, and we had kept it in our mind... before we looked for other choices. However, its wiring was just normal.

We went to another shop, and they had Frontech and Zebronics PSU. We asked for a good quality PSU, and he showed the Frontech 600W PSU, priced at Rs 850. What impressed me was its wire build quality, which looks like the wiring in branded PSUs with external covering. Plus, it was 600W at the same price as the Circle PSU, and the PSU itself looked good. So, we opted for this PSU.

It is quite a silent PSU, and being 600 W, it is working fine with 2 SATA hard drives and a SATA DVD-RW optical drive... so it seems good for an old PC.

We will try to buy the new PC as soon as possible, and I will need to research for it. I will post the query in this forum, for guidance on the new PC, and for that, we will choose all branded and quality products, including PSU.

I read an article which said that Corsair, Seasonic, and Antec were the best brands.

After that were listed Cooler Master, Thermaltake and one another brand which I don't remember, as second choices.

So, I will try to go with the brands as the first choice.

Once again, thank for the suggestions.

Yes, I actually came across a forum thread while searching for Corsair VS650 ... where it said that VS series was not that good. That's what made me think again. Otherwise, it looked like a good option for PSU.

Thank you for the suggestion. I am thinking about Seasonic definitely. Will decide that time when we think about assembling the new PC.

Back