Storage Solutions Which Under $100 SSD to buy ?

raksrules

Elite
Continuing with my earlier thread where my Laptop performance is getting bad and I want to install a SSD, I am now searching for a SSD. I am looking for something under $100 and I know that I can only get 256GB capacity in this. So here are few questions...

1. Which 256GB SSD should I buy, brand with good ASS and warranty ? I have seen samsung evo 850 and crucial BX100 to be top rated on amazon. But personally I have no clue.

2. 7mm vs 9.5mm. Does this thing matter ? I know that usually the laptop HDD are 9.5mm and 7mm fit using spacers but not all companies provide one. But I read somewhere that probably since my laptop has a caddy for holding the HDD, the SSD will fit without needing any spacers.

3. Not related to SSD but I will be installing windows 7 (legit key available, not sure which version though pro or home premium), how should I create partitions (as in sizes) when installing windows, to finally derive best performance ?

PS: Prefer to buy from amazon.com for ease of returns if need arises.

Samsung EVO 850 is a good choice. My Crucial SSD came with spacers which I used to install it in my Dell XPS which also implemented a caddy.
You can use any partition arrangement you like. I have a 1TB SSD and I only have one partition. It is also nearly filled. There have been suggestions that SSD performance degrades after it gets filled 50%. But I don't find any issues with my daily usage.

Hi @raksrules

Continuing with my earlier thread where my Laptop performance is getting bad and I want to install a SSD, I am now searching for a SSD. I am looking for something under $100 and I know that I can only get 256GB capacity in this. So here are few questions...
1. Which 256GB SSD should I buy, brand with good ASS and warranty ? I have seen samsung evo 850 and crucial BX100 to be top rated on amazon. But personally I have no clue.
The choice of the SSD, it all depends on your budget, because SSDs are expensive; however they are worth every penny.
The difference between cheaper SSDs and more expensive ones that have similar capacity is their write speeds. Expensive ones are usually 540MB/s write speeds while cheaper ones go up to around 250MB/s write speeds only. Read speeds however, are the same.

2. 7mm vs 9.5mm. Does this thing matter ? I know that usually the laptop HDD are 9.5mm and 7mm fit using spacers but not all companies provide one. But I read somewhere that probably since my laptop has a caddy for holding the HDD, the SSD will fit without needing any spacers.
The upgrading of storage part, it's all depend on the HDD thickness and compatibility with the system. Mostly, all mobile 2.5 inch HDD models come with 7mm thickness, Larger capacity would be thicker, as with most other manufacturers.

3. Not related to SSD but I will be installing windows 7 (legit key available, not sure which version though pro or home premium), how should I create partitions (as in sizes) when installing windows, to finally derive best performance ?
In my opinion, the partition space is all depend on the user and his requirements. For me, I'd like to create the big space partition for my software and games installation, virtual space and many more things in it.

He is in US.
Oops...My bad..Since you prefer amazon here you go
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-I...id=1445537942&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+850+evo

IF you wait for Black Friday then I think you will get better deals also.
850 s are all 7mm so please check your lappy.I hae the 850 and it didn't come with 9.5 mm adapters.(In India though)

Better keep a big fat C drive so that all your installations fit on that without worrying about swap space etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1445538299][/DOUBLEPOST]
He's asking for customs + sns
You are making the same mistake as me.That isn't the OP :p

Didn't want to create a new thread since my laptop's issue is also similar to @raksrules. I too am looking to replace my laptop HDD with an SSD.

I have a Sony Vaio EPCB26FG model. Not sure what model/type of SSD should i take. Is there anything that I have to look on the current HDD to ensure i buy the right model of SSD to fit in?

The HDD can be easily removed on my laptop.

Didn't want to create a new thread since my laptop's issue is also similar to @raksrules. I too am looking to replace my laptop HDD with an SSD.

I have a Sony Vaio EPCB26FG model. Not sure what model/type of SSD should i take. Is there anything that I have to look on the current HDD to ensure i buy the right model of SSD to fit in?

The HDD can be easily removed on my laptop.
Get the hard drive out and check its Serial no./Part no. on the internet for the following info.
Height(i.e. 7mm or 9.5 mm)
SATA port capable or not.If yes then check the SATA version II or III)
If it is 7mm and SATA capable then the 850 EVO will work without a hitch.In case it is 9.5 mm then you will have to scour amazon/ebay etc. for the adapter

Get the hard drive out and check its Serial no./Part no. on the internet for the following info.
Height(i.e. 7mm or 9.5 mm)
SATA port capable or not.If yes then check the SATA version II or III)
If it is 7mm and SATA capable then the 850 EVO will work without a hitch.In case it is 9.5 mm then you will have to scour amazon/ebay etc. for the adapter

But won't a SATA Capable 7mm fit fine in a slot where a SATA 9.5mm HDD is there? I am pretty sure the HDD would be SATA (may be old SATA Version).

But won't a SATA Capable 7mm fit fine in a slot where a SATA 9.5mm HDD is there? I am pretty sure the HDD would be SATA (may be old SATA Version).
Depends.On my old Lenovo x201 a 7 mm fit easily after adjusting the screws in the caddy but on a hp model that my cousin had the 7 mm didn't quite fit and rattled around sometimes.However since in this case we are looking at an SSD a wee bit rattling would be of no issue or else a little bit of jugaad might be needed.:p

I guess both are well within $100 and I am in US so I don't need to worry about SNS and India shipping so I guess both can get obtained well below the prices you quoted.
Check if you are have any fry's store close to you, or I guess black friday is worth waiting for. Alternatively check jet.com with their first time code of 15 off on 50 will sweeten the deal. Also check if your place has amazon prime now, you can avail 20 off on 50 using the code "tryitnow" on the prime now app (again depends on the availability of the ssd in your location).

Check if you are have any fry's store close to you, or I guess black friday is worth waiting for. Alternatively check jet.com with their first time code of 15 off on 50 will sweeten the deal. Also check if your place has amazon prime now, you can avail 20 off on 50 using the code "tryitnow" on the prime now app (again depends on the availability of the ssd in your location).

No Frys around so not an option.
Anyways will wait for black friday, I am not in hurry anyways.
Jet.com I have already used the coupon once (one one account) for diapers lol. I know I can create more accounts but disadvantage with them is they are new and do not even allow cancellation once 30 minutes have passed. Not sure how returns would be.
No Prime now where I am.

No Frys around so not an option.
Anyways will wait for black friday, I am not hurry anyways.
Jet.com I have already used the coupon once (one one account) for diapers lol. I know I can create more accounts but disadvantage with them is they are new and do not even allow cancellation once 30 minutes have passed. Not sure how returns would be.
No Prime now where I am.
There returns are super easy, but then again black friday is your best bet. Have on eye on slickdeals.net sometimes there would be good deals for ssd's on tiger/newegg. Cheers.

Edit- soon after I posted found this
http://slickdeals.net/f/8180770-jet-com-30-credit-for-12-with-code-hury

But make sure that code is applied on a new account, because once the code is used it can't be used again on any other accounts. Make a new account on a different machine with some vpn just in case.

Back