Which Wordpress commenting system is the best?

Hey guys,

I have my own site which is a Wordpress-powered blog. It's been operational for one year now and I've been using Disqus all this while. I am in the process of revamping my blog now (new theme, logo etc.) and have decided to rethink which commenting system to use as well.

It's not like I've any specific complaints with Disqus. It has a variety of options for logging in, is clean & pretty, has features like replying via email and liking comments too. Plus, so many blogs use Disqus and it amalgamates all your comments and likes <-- which I like.

But recently, someone on this forum replied to a thread I had made asking for suggestions to improve my site. This user said that I should use Facebook comments on my blog because what with the Facebook connection, the comments are more "seen." When people comment or like another comment, their Facebook friends see it and all this leads to a little more traffic. I get that point and appreciate it but I have one question - What if a prospective commenter doesn't have a Facebook account? As in, am I cutting a few people (however few they may be) from my comments section? How big a deal could this be?

What about the default Wordpress commenting system? I thought it was quite rudimentary until recently but they've revamped it now and it's actually quite good. The multiple login options, the cleaner interface and the option for tweaking/modding with extra plugins seems quite attractive. I've heard complaints from people using Disqus that if you login using Twitter/Facebook, it doesn't track to your own blog/site and for some people, that's a big enough turn off that they don't comment. The default system will have that issue too but I just need to know which system suffers less from it. Also, not replying via email is kind of a bummer omission, right?

I am not listing some other commenting systems because I figure these three are the big ones. Anyway, if you do feel that Intense Debate or something else is also worth considering, do let me know. Please reply and tell me which system you prefer, both as a commenter and as an admin. It would be a huge help!

Intense Debate was super buggy when i tried it earlier. Its Disqus all the way for me. WP Comments looks tacky with certain custom themes. And i'd never use Facebook Comments and tie myself into an ecosystem. AFAIK they don't even allow comment migration <not-verified> , infact i'm in the process of migrating one of our blogs from WP Comments to Disqus. We have over 14000 comments on that site and migration to Disqus worked flawlessly when checked on the test website.

Back