whois data info privacy

lounge

Disciple

ooops: mods please shift this thread to networking & internet... i accidentally managed to post it here.. sorry for the same..

i have couple of domain names registered.. but i did not opt for private registration.. now i got an email from my registrar that ICANN has given notice that every domain name should have accurate and current information regarding its owner.. which includes phone number, complete address, email id etc.. failing to submit correct and current info can be a bases of cancellation of the domain registration..

simply, complete information is available at whois data now.. i have around 14 domain names with me, i can't buy private registration or ask from my client for the same..

Also, i have updated and given correct information at whois data.. lol, i am worried.. is that going to be a problem as the information is vulnerable and available at whois data??

anyone, if can throw some light on this will be helpful

Which domain registrar are you using? Many provide privacy protection for a fee and few do it free. There is no problem as such with you're details being listed. But its good to have data protected rather that out there in open.

I once dug down the phone number of this guy who was spamming me matrimonial mails. Called and asked him to remove my name from the mailing list. That kinda thing may well happen :p

Namecheap providing data protection free with registration for 1st year and than with nominal fees like $4 a year some others provide it for $8 per year depends.

yeah.. my registrar is godaddy.. i guess currently the charges for private registrations $1.50.. but i guess some discounts are on it this time..

actually, i am not worried about my info as such, just the postal address & phone number.. thats kind of freaking me out.. i have provided my correct email though..and i am fine with it.. but address is dangerous.. not that i involve in spamming or illegal content.. i guess, i need to buy private registration, no other way..

btw, which hosting company & registrar do you guys prefer?

I have a directi reseller account. Gives much more control. It gives me free whois protection too. Its cheaper than godaddy If you have so many domains.

well spam is dangerous when people use your email ids to spam other people. It will result in your address being blacklisted by some spam blocking service

so how would one check that no one uses our precious domain names for spamming?? what can be the ways?

does the solution lie in private registration? i don't see that..

lounge said:
yeah.. my registrar is godaddy.. i guess currently the charges for private registrations $1.50.. but i guess some discounts are on it this time..

$1.50 monthly? or ...

Godaddy, Namecheap & Enom

Arya said:
I have a directi reseller account. Gives much more control. It gives me free whois protection too. Its cheaper than godaddy If you have so many domains.

Free Whois Protection to all Domains under your control (reseller account) or allow you to provide it to every registration under your account?

lounge said:
so how would one check that no one uses our precious domain names for spamming?? what can be the ways?

does the solution lie in private registration? i don't see that..

To some extent...yeah! At least they cant use the same email which you used to register the domain, which happens in many cases. I had to move all my domains to a different mail id once the spam started.

Free Whois Protection to all Domains under your control (reseller account) or allow you to provide it to every registration under your account?

Its a free service from Directi, and its available to both reseller and individual accounts.

Got my own servers so I dont use anything else. I've used Jodohost in past and they are very good. As for domains, I'm pretty much used to Directi, so as far as I see, both Godaddy and Enom are expensive and not to my liking. Low on features as well. Moreover its easier to manage if all your domains are at one place.

Arya.. i got a static IP.. i was thinking lately to have my own hosting server.. i got spare n good pc with me.. as you said you have your own servers.. can you please tell me what are the pros and cons of having own hosting servers.. especially in Indian conditions. slow internet speed etc.. cos i like to give it a shot.. i got static ip, spare pc, good electricity backup, can buy windows server edition if needed..

Dont invest anything in India. I have rented servers in US. Advantage Multi-homed networks, power backup, security, good admins. Disadvantage, gotta spend lotsa time securing things, stay up to date with patches. Gets irritating when some one picks your server for DOSing.

there are many problems you could have hosting in India ... bandwidth first and foremost. Power, hardware failure etc come later. If you are thinking about a business website, dont even think about running it from here.

Back