Whole House Connected Audio

ankz

Disciple
Hi guys,
Just got a a new audio setup so i thought i will post about it here. I have a 2 zone Sonos setup running the following equipment :

2 Zone Player 90
1 Zone Bridge
1 CR 200 Remote

The zone players dont come with a built in amp (for that you want the 120) so they are suited for rooms where you already have sound setups. The 120 is for rooms where you just connect the speakers directly to the Sonos. For my setup one room has a Bose Lifestyle 25 connected to the Sonos and on the other room i have a Yamaha YAS 71 sound bar with an optical connection to the Sonos. I have the zone bridge connected via an ethernet cable to my network so thats how the Sonos setup accesses my network storage and also the internet. I have a Sirius internet radio (SIRIUS Satellite Radio - Everything worth listening to is now on SIRIUS) account on the Sonos that gives me access to all the Sirius satellite radio stations coming in at 128k, really awesome. Also my music is on the network in a Buffalo Linkstation mini system.

Atleast 1 sonos equipment needs to be connected to your network physically, the others form their own wireless network between themselves. Its expandable to 32 zones, so i have a long way to go :).

All in all its the best product you can get if you are looking for a connected audio setup. The installation has been amongst the easiest i have ever seen on a seemingly complicated product.

I didnt include pictures as you can get all the details at Sonos - Home

Would be happy to answer any questions that anyone may have.

I give it a 10/10 for connected audio, just cant find anything wrong with it, except maybe the price. I dont think it is available in India so i bought it from Amazon. Oh and its dual voltage so running it in India is no problem.

cheers.

Hey,

I dont have pictures of my actual system and most of the components are concealed anyway so i am pasting some official pictures :

The first item is the Zonebridge, this was purchased through KMD for Rs. 6,000

ZoneBridge_BR100_Left_Small.jpg

The second item is the ZonePlayer 90. They have 2 players, the 90 and the 120 with the difference being that that 120 has a built in amp so you can plug in speakers straight into the unit. I chose the 90 as i had music systems where i wanted to place these, that fact that it was cheaper than the 120 didnt hurt either :), it costs $350.

SONOS_ZP90_left_Small.jpg

Finally, the controller. The Sonos system has a variety of ways to control the system, easiest is to use the Windows or Mac software that comes with the system. You can also use a free app for ipod/iphones or for the best experience their NEW CR 200 remote. It is amazing in the way it lets you use all the features of Sonos through a touch screen experience. The CR200 costs $350.

sonos_controller_family_small.jpg

A close up :

sonos_CR200_angle_Small.jpg

My music system in my lobby which was also purchased recently is the Yamaha Soundbar YAS 71, as i needed something compact. Costed me around $300.

yas71_small.jpg

Hey blr_p,

I have tried various other products in the past, i still use a Roku Soundbridge radio in my bedroom and some squeezebox devices they are mostly suited to independent listening zones and are not that user friendly. The Sonos is a whole other ballgame. Its components work very well with each other for the multi zone experience and the user experience is brilliant. In areas where other people may be using the system you want something that is easy to use.

cheers.

Sonos Demo is a nice intro to what this system is about.

It seems very good for selecting what plays where and how loud but thats about it. Ease of use and thats the biggest plus i feel here :)

Only downside appears to be battery life of the remote. Can you get these kind of batteries here ?

Battery: High density rechargeable 1850mAh Li-ION Polymer battery; User-replaceable through battery door on back of Controller

Curious also as to the processor & OS it runs. User comments for that article indicate that you can download the Sonos software to an ipod Touch which costs half the price and does the job just as well, maybe not quite as responsive tho.

Is it possible to rate tracks, or do any other tag modifications say with the remote ?

Is it true that Sonos can only handle about 65k files ?

Its nice how they integrate all those radio stations, he gives the impression they are all free !!

Must say i'm surprised Sonos are not available (yet) in india, when a system thats 10x more expensive is !!

Back