Why are PC parts so costly in India?

Kyrie

Recruit
So consider the Founders Edition RTX 3080, it is priced at $699 in the U.S., that's roughly 51k INR, but when you look at India, it is priced at 71,000 in India, which is the equivalent around $965. I've not been able to pinpoint what's causing the price discrepancy, is it VAT, is it GST, can anyone please help me look at sources which explain how the prices for these things get a 38% upscale in India? I'd appreciate this a lot.

699+10% vat dear so it already makes it 770+state taxes. It might range from $800-825 depending upon the state you are living in US.
Now add customs+import duty to it and you can get Indian price

1$ = ₹100

For a rough estimate, this has held true for PC parts prices in India. You'll get the price as close to what it would cost with all the taxes (custom, gst, etc) would be. The reason PC parts are really costly here is it attracts high customs, GST, and luxury taxes (High end PC Parts are considered Luxury). Also sellers form groups to inflate prices just like how it was for telecom before Jio.

My take: Its a luxury item. May not seem to those who can afford it though.
India is heavily tax dependent. For example defense. We buy so much hardware from abroad. That needs $$$. Govt is gonna tax the shit out of luxury items. Maybe forex reserves also plays a part..

Auto makers are crying themselves hoarse for a reduction in gst on two-wheelers which are basically essential and utility vehicles not luxury items. Yet the gst is 28% on them. Even the fm is now agreeing with them.

For example, a motorcycle which cost 85k earlier was around 100k recently and with the bs6 updates went even higher to 115k.

This govt. doesn't care about looting people as long as their pockets are filled.

Indirect taxes have ever increased and govt knows its their main source. Be its petrol/diesel or anything sold. Indirect taxes itself is fine but corruption and ever increasing need for more, they keep taxing more. As usual public has to pay.

My take: Its a luxury item. May not seem to those who can afford it though.
India is heavily tax dependent. For example defense. We buy so much hardware from abroad. That needs $$$. Govt is gonna tax the shit out of luxury items. Maybe forex reserves also plays a part..
Nope, with WFH mandated by the govt. till Dec 31, PC/Laptops/Cellphones/Tabs are essential items; a person's livelihood now depends on that.

I can somewhat understand higher taxes on premium items like very high-end gfx cards for example, but it's not just those is it?

This govt. doesn't care about looting people as long as their pockets are filled.
Well was there any govt. who really cared and will there be any which will?? Not until the earth is reborn!
Post automatically merged:

Nope, with WFH mandated by the govt. till Dec 31, PC/Laptops/Cellphones/Tabs are essential items; a person's livelihood now depends on that.

I can somewhat understand higher taxes on premium items like very high-end gfx cards for example, but it's not just those is it?
Dont be amused if tomorrow govt. says any ram above 8gb will attract more taxes/custom etc.
Same goes for processors like they have zero knowledge and will simply say anything above i5 will be considered luxury.
Govt. can fine grain to any cheap levels to loot & make sure Indians stands last in global technology affordable queue with access to almost nothing even if its readily available at 50% more cost.

Well was there any govt. who really cared and will there be any which will?? Not until the earth is reborn!
Maybe a few in the EU and maybe Canada to a certain extent. USA maybe 50% good and bad each so it can't really be called good but still way better than here.

Maybe a few in the EU and maybe Canada to a certain extent. USA maybe 50% good and bad each so it can't really be called good but still way better than here.
We were talking about India. As for US it is where its all cheap and affordable.
If for the current prices we need to buy such luxuries stuff then govt should have a policy of min 3-5lacs p.a. package for everyone as the bare min.

Last edited:
Auto makers are crying themselves hoarse for a reduction in gst on two-wheelers which are basically essential and utility vehicles not luxury items. Yet the gst is 28% on them. Even the fm is now agreeing with them.

For example, a motorcycle which cost 85k earlier was around 100k recently and with the bs6 updates went even higher to 115k.

Not only the 28% GST. An individual earning more than 10 lacs a year as taxable income has to pay 30% income tax. With 70% of what an individual earns, he pays for the vehicle which again has 28% GST. Both income and expense of an individual is taxed at a very high rate in India. The car industry don’t get much money after reducing GST and that’s why we have poor performance vehicles at the sub 20 lacs segments in Cars whereas US or Canada gets better vehicles

1$ = ₹100

For a rough estimate, this has held true for PC parts prices in India. You'll get the price as close to what it would cost with all the taxes (custom, gst, etc) would be. The reason PC parts are really costly here is it attracts high customs, GST, and luxury taxes (High end PC Parts are considered Luxury). Also sellers form groups to inflate prices just like how it was for telecom before Jio.
Not that bad dude, $1= ₹60-65

Back