Why are people trolls online?

Renegade

The Outlaw
Super Mod
Dec 31, 2004
Pune
Came across an image today which had this question and it left me wondering. We have had our own fair share of trolls on TE and we may know some of them personally too. Surely a lot of them are their different selves offline. So what do think changes them when online, what is it that makes a seemingly normal person a troll when online.

puns

Section Mod
Mar 24, 2005
New Delhi
Apart from what @SunnyBoi said, there are many psychological reasons that I had read on this. It ranges from:

1. A different side of their actual personality - They have this in them and cant express in real world from fear of consequences. Those who dont fear, enagage in bullying or more severe means
2. A false side of their actual personality - They dont have this side yet try to do this to fit in and appear "strong" online while they might not feel "strong" in the real world
3. A thrill or rush from doing it. Getting attention or acknowledged. The reason why famous people are targeted more cause you wouldnt otherwise have access to them in real world
4. A herd behaviour getting encouraged to do it or encouraging others and joining in
5. For many people, its just purely 'fun'.

blr_p

Veteran
Apr 11, 2007
The word "troll" seems to be thrown about very liberally these days. Calling people out is trolling. Arguing is trolling. And then they block you. So i dumped this social media crap and went back to forums.

Reactions: ssslayer and 6pack