Audio Why is everyone throwing away their wired headphones

So i called a top rated ent surgeon nearby, he said he's not consulting because of covid and his wife is doing duty in a general hospital. He said it could be an infection (though doesn't think it's ASOM), and said we can try antibiotics for a couple days first and see if there's a change before deciding to go to a hospital. So we had a video call, he wanted to see if manipulating the outer ear was painful.

When i mentioned the headphones he was actually suggesting the xm3 lol, saying NC helps keep the volume down. He doesn't think it's noise induced hearing loss but then again he didn't know how powerful the beyers are.

I'm trying his prescription now, but I'm pretty sure this is NIHL, even though it's only in one ear, the hyperacusis and prominently deafening tinnitus makes me believe it is.

A certain white noise video on YouTube is helping mask the tinnitus almost 80-90% which is very strange because it's similar to the faucet sound which only aggravates it. I'm not really listening to it because i don't think i should be fatiguing my ears even more now.

Depends on how and where the headphone is used. I mean for desktop usage I'll keep using my wired Beyers for as long as possible, why would I need wireless for home usage at first place, so no point. But, at the same time, I'll absolutely prefer wireless for mobile phones, especially when outside it's so much a cumbersome experience to use wired headphones/ iems with those being plugged in to the mobile and constant drag of the cable, tangling here and there in every place, every time i take the mobile out from pocket it feels just ****ing weird to use it normally with the earphone plugged in, all these just add for a tremendous headache. So while i still stand by their better audio quality over wireless ones, simply for the sake of convenience I'll prefer wireless ones. Obviously not boat, boult, realme piece of crap but at least decent ones, even though for same sound quality the price is like 3 times or more compared to wired ones.

Do you guys have any suggestion regarding a decent wireless earphone, which won't break the bank? It'll be 70% for music listening and 30% for calling, so the mic. should be of good quality. Neckband type will be preferred.

Something just blew my mind..bought the Black album from HDtracks long back and the album was (in a card) in my very old first gen fiio X1.
Since the X3 battery is almost dead, was using the X1 for the time being with HD598 ( it is pretty easy to drive and I like the sound signature compared to HD600 due to the soundstage and easy to drive nature) the first song ( Sandman) started to play, and the intro drums just BLEW ME AWAY. I have listened to the album at least a thousand times over years, but possibly never with this combo.
HD598 is possibly the cheapest headphone I have and after that shock tested with M40X/50X/DT770 (80 ohms) /990 (250 ohms, at highest volume of the little DAP) and nothing sounded that great. M50X were definitely the worst, followed by M40X, 770 was good but 598 was definitely better ( far better than HD600, but it needs an amp). Can not find the HD25 now, if something can beat this synergy, it has the best chances.
We never take the sennheiser 5XX series seriously, but with the right source and genre, it can sound better than 770/990.
If someone is looking for a very cheap open back headphone, please look into the 598 (not the 599, it`s a very precise can, but lacks the width) and match a correct source for it. I do have very expensive headphones from Audeze (recently bought) etc.but honestly, they are not worth it except for strict home use with very expensive amp/DAC.
For now I will be using this cheapest the headphone, DAP combo I have, till I can score a pair of those hard to to find Philips SHP9500.
Sennheiser does know a thing or two about making cheap open back headphones, they are well ahead of Beyer in this department. DT990 is great, but only the 250 ohm and the elusive 600 ohm ones and a decent set up with them can cost a lot. I am not bringing planers and electrostatic ones in this discussion for obvious reasons.

The 598s aren't overlooked, in fact a lot of people bought the beige ones as well as the closed back ones back in the day when it was going on Amazon for 6-7k, several people bought it here on TE itself.
As ugly as the beige ones were they had a warm sound signature that is not available in the price bracket these days, not to forget they were super comfy with those velour pads for long listening sessions, unfortunately they seem to have been discontinued and replaced by the 599 which are much brighter.
I'm looking at sourcing the SHP9500 too if and when someone is returning from the US, costs 79$ there compared to almost $300 on Amazon India.

Edit: Looks like they are still available but cost twice as much.

Last edited:
The closed back 5xx series is really bad. I gave away the one bought to a student of mine.
The 9500 has completely disappeared from this part of Europe!! They were available dirt cheap @ eBay. There are some still listed, but shipping cost from US to Prague is ridiculous now.
They are available @ AliExpress, but I have lost 3/4 packages from China.
For some strange reasons Beyer have always been expensive in India. It's just opposite in Germany. Beyer has always some sale going, but nothing from Sennheiser. We don't have Amazon in Czechia and Slovakia, and no Sennheiser SEs.

Last edited:
So i called a top rated ent surgeon nearby, he said he's not consulting because of covid and his wife is doing duty in a general hospital. He said it could be an infection (though doesn't think it's ASOM), and said we can try antibiotics for a couple days first and see if there's a change before deciding to go to a hospital. So we had a video call, he wanted to see if manipulating the outer ear was painful.

When i mentioned the headphones he was actually suggesting the xm3 lol, saying NC helps keep the volume down. He doesn't think it's noise induced hearing loss but then again he didn't know how powerful the beyers are.

I'm trying his prescription now, but I'm pretty sure this is NIHL, even though it's only in one ear, the hyperacusis and prominently deafening tinnitus makes me believe it is.

A certain white noise video on YouTube is helping mask the tinnitus almost 80-90% which is very strange because it's similar to the faucet sound which only aggravates it. I'm not really listening to it because i don't think i should be fatiguing my ears even more now.

Update: Saw an ENT, he says there's no visible debris or blockage, but mentioned some edema of some part, couldn't hear him clearly, maybe the eardrum itself? He prescribed methylprednisolone for 6 days. But other than that it seems to be NIHL. Funny thing is these docs have almost no empathy towards Tinnitus patients, as soon as they hear the T word they're like done. Also mocking me for asking questions, and making the T seem like hypochondria or a psychological issue.

I have a theory, i have been having chinese food again after a long break, maybe the monosodium glutamate in that plus a diet coke i had (aspartame) had excitotoxic effects and exxagerated the otherwise tolerable volume of the headphones. I have only had diet coke once before in my life.

I did a quick frequency test at home, my left ear (severe tinnitus) cant hear over about 13kHz and my right (mild to moderate T) above 15k.

In any case, take care of your ears people, especially if you have mild tinnitus like i did. No telling when it can get REAL bad.

The closed back 5xx series is really bad. I gave away the one bought to a student of mine.
The 9500 has completely disappeared from this part of Europe!! They were available dirt cheap @ eBay. There are some still listed, but shipping cost from US to Prague is ridiculous now.
They are available @ AliExpress, but I have lost 3/4 packages from China.
For some strange reasons Beyer have always been expensive in India. It's just opposite in Germany. Beyer has always some sale going, but nothing from Sennheiser. We don't have Amazon in Czechia and Slovakia, and no Sennheiser SEs.

The shp9500 is good and comfortable but the sound isn't as detailed as the HD58x (HD598 clone afaict).
Post automatically merged:

Haha, about two weeks ago i had a mild fever, sore throat, dry cough, but loose phlegm in the LRT. Breathing out deep would dislodge it. Last october I had an LRTI, possibly bronchitis, didn't wanna take antibiotics (as suggested by who since it's usually viral) so didn't go to a doctor. It took about 2-3 weeks to clear up with home remedies, but i don't know if this was some remnant of that. Anyway, the two weeks ago incident cleared up the very next day, so it may have been covid, or it may just have been the usual weather change thing, since the rains are starting...

At this point of time it looks like everything from Erectile Dysfunction to Diarrhea is a symptom of covid 19, the news has drilled so much fear that any sign of minor ailment is instantly attributed to CV in people's minds.

At this point of time it looks like everything from Erectile Dysfunction to Diarrhea is a symptom of covid 19, the news has drilled so much fear that any sign of minor ailment is instantly attributed to CV in people's minds.

The thing is, with so many carriers completely asymptomatic, what is probably just a seasonal viral infection could very well be covid. Most probably not, but there is also a strong possibility with all the community tx happening.

The 2nd ENT who i actually saw checked my ear and said there is some edema of some part but i couldn't hear him clearly. He was a total prick so i didn't really even want to talk to him by that point. He said to continue the ear drops the previous doctor prescribed. These drops.

There's a bit of good news, he also prescribed Nicergoline (30mg) BD and methylprednisolone 16mg TDS. The hyperacusis is almost completely gone and the flush and faucet are no longer painful or uncomfortable even. The T is still strong, will probably have to get habituated to it if it doesn't reduce.

The thing is, with so many carriers completely asymptomatic, what is probably just a seasonal viral infection could very well be covid. Most probably not, but there is also a strong possibility with all the community tx happening.

Problem is media is propagating correlations & symptoms that aren't completely proven and generally associated with viral infections to be a sign of Covid as well.
Ones concern is totally understandable if they are having a fever or breathing difficulties but last week some "experts" started listing skin rashes "could" be a symptom as well, so if my balls start to itch do I need a skin ointment or am I dying of covid and require Remdesivir/HCQ etc stat.

P.S. This thread has gone off rails, get well soon bud.

P.S. This thread has gone off rails, get well soon bud.

I know, but i've had tinnitus so long, i thought i was being careful. Never imagined listening at those volumes could spike it. Combination of bad luck and stupidity. If i had avoided either the aspartame or listening to music that particular evening, this probably wouldn't have happened. Now, even if i get open-back headphones i don't think i have the courage to use them now, fearing the T could get even worse. Life without music is unimaginable. It's also unimaginable how miserable this thing can make your life. So i'm just posting here hoping it helps someone. Reddit and other T forums is full of horror stories with people advising others not to risk getting T like they did.

Don`t worry, with steroids, the swelling (edema) will subside very soon.
BTW, my endgame headphones are far more realistic now, have realized, no matter how I justify, buying the Orpheus would be a very bad investment and I will never be able to enjoy the music with them. Next in line was Abyss Diana, but they are also way above my league, and will probably remain so.
HD800/800s are something, I can buy now with some buyer`s remorse, but honestly they did not sound that great to me ( almost every audiophile meet in this part of world has few pairs of them, and I have auditioned them many times)
So I have decided to go with two open back headphones for home: Audeze LCD X and Sennheiser HD660S
Now for the road, think I already have the best (for my ears)- HD25 1-II, have them for many years, after years of abuse the cable has finally snapped from one ear cup connector, and one of my dogs chewed the right cup and it has developed a small crack, will try to replace the wire and cup, if not possible will buy a new one.

This obsession with headphones must end. Bought the PXC 550 II for no rhyme or reason. Some guy at the mall was auditioning the Bose 700, QC35 and XM3. Some people working at the audio section know me personally and requested to help that person (he was struggling with the gestures on XM3) and I happily tried to help him and suggested the PXC550 (as they are on bigger discount compared to XM3/QC35) he tried those and immediately liked the sound (he is into jazz and similar stuff and 550s are significantly better with those genres) and bought a pair within 5 minutes.
The audio section guys were too happy to offload older stock and offered me a very good deal on the either PXC 550 II/ Momentum 3s, and I happily bought the IIs (still have a pair of 550 with dying battery)
I do not like wireless cans (sound quality) but love the PXC550 compared to the QC35/ 1000XM3 (horrible cans). This is going to be the last pair of headphones for this year.
BTW, auditioned the XM4s and no matter how hard I try, just can not tolerate Sony`s DSP correction (it is still there with a massive amount of compression and a mild boost in higher frequencies)

lol .... and here I am selling my bluetooth headphones and trying not to buy a 20k WIRED chi-fi that sounds better than ALL IEMS all over the world costing 5 times more. To hell with bluetooth and wireless:)

Interesting thread OP :)

Last edited:
Which one are you eyeing? I have very limited access to chi-fi stuff..only few KZs and the Blon bl03.
Yes to hell with wireless...I would rather walk like a human bomb in the empty streets... enjoying my music..
BTW Julian, how are your ears now?

Last edited:
Thanks for asking. I'm getting habituated to the tinnitus i think. It usually crescendos after meals, it's either the salt or BP i think. The hyperacusis is mostly gone except when i listen to certain high frequencies for more than 10 minutes, like washing a lot of dishes, when it starts acting up and makes the tinnitus louder. So i try to avoid the dishes after meals and also wash in small batches. I don't really like dishwashers, used one in Dubai, but it seems like an idea now.
I go out and sit at the bus stop, to get my ears accustomed to noise and it's getting better slowly i think. Can tolerate even ambulance sirens. It's just constant sound which aggravates it.
The worst thing is listening to music at even moderate volumes for 10 minutes drives everything crazy. This on the old speakers. Headphones are packed away, can't even imagine using them.
Life has become very dry and boring as a result.

Oh, and the cheap 3m foam earplugs work perfect for the vacuum cleaner which is about 79dBA. Can't hear anything. They're ok to use for occasionally vacuuming but a pain for quick use. For that i have the also cheap 3m silicon plugs. I think if I use those while doing dishes it won't trigger the hyperacusis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back