All OS Why is this crappy 2:1 aspect ratio fad catching on?

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
First of all, its absurdly marketed as 18:9 instead of 2:1. People who know enough to understand aspect ratios would surely not need marketing to put in comparison to 16:9. For those who don't understand aspect ratios, these are numbers just as good as any other.

But leaving aside that, Is there really any merit to having a 2:1 screen on a phone? Why is this stupid fad catching on like this?

In a phone, width is pretty important. too big and you can't hold the phone properly and too small, using the virtual keyboard in portrait mode would be tedious.

I have used a phone with 6" 16:9 display and find the pretty pretty comfortable. Some people might find a 5.5" screen comfortable. Anything lower I would have to shift to landscape for typing onscreen.

A 2:1 display of 6" size has roughly the same width as a 16:9 display of 5.5" size. Of course the former is taller, but why would it make any sense to have a taller screen. I can probably fit one more row of icons on screen, but I don't see any utility in it. For the same diagonal size, I would actually get 7% less screen area.

For instance Mate 10 has 5.9" screen with 16:9 aspect and a resolution of 2560 x 1440. Mate 10 Pro has a 6" screen with 2:1 aspect and resolution of 2160 x 1080. That sounds like a downgrade.

I've not used any such device yet, but for normal 16:9 videos it seems a total waste of space.[DOUBLEPOST=1508257938][/DOUBLEPOST]Posting after about 5 years!!

I guess longer phones are easier to hold than wider phones.
At the same time, longer phones will give marketing bragging rights to higher inches of screen diagonal!

In addition, most of the videos, movies (basically anything that is not work related) is today moving towards ever wider screens.

Back