Budget Above 25K Why old phones are still expensive in India?

Kev1991

Recruit
Why is older phones are still expensive in India? I am in process of choosing a phone for myself and I don't really wanna spend all the money on the latest one so I was hoping to buy a phone which is launched about a year ago but I noticed that Samsung S9 is still selling on MRP 57k on flipkart even when S10s is selling for S10e, not only that, Nokia too is selling its Nokia 7 plus at the launched price, for a while, I decided to buy Pixel 3a but its kinda annoying to know that Pixel 3a is cheaper in the other parts of the world. I remember we used to blame apple for their unfair price policies but seems like they are the most fair here, all their prices are almost equal across the globe. Not only that, Note 9 is still selling for 67k on flipkart when Note 10 is about to launch in August.

My maximum budget is 40k.

You can get a current OP7 in that range.

Older "standard brand" ones : LG G7 & V40 (both for less than 30k) and Samsung S9 Plus (~35k).
Thanks for your reply. But Samsung S9 plus? Everywhere it is more expensive than the newer Samsung S10e. Where can I get S9 plus for the price that you quoted? I only checked online so I don't know if it is available for 35k offline stores.

If price difference not so much, buy the latest. If the price difference huge, buy the older gen.
Welcome to developing market of India
You are right. I better buy the latest.. not because I want to but because they are forcing me to shed some more money and buy the latest.
Post automatically merged:

I think people (who are less aware of tech) are still buying older devices at higher prices so online stores and sellers are making a profit out of it.
Exactly what I thought. What really irks me is same people used to blame Apple for price discrimination and now the same people blindly buying old phone at the cost higher than the latest one. Google launched its Pixel 3a for 583$ in India while it costs 399$ almost all around the world... insane!

Last edited:
You are right. I better buy the latest.. not because I want to but because they are forcing me to shed some more money and buy the latest.
Post automatically merged:

Exactly what I thought. What really irks me is same people used to blame Apple for price discrimination and now the same people blindly buying old phone at the cost higher than the latest one. Google launched its Pixel 3a for 583$ in India while it costs 399$ almost all around the world... insane!
I think Google imports fully assembled units and doesn't have manufacting here. Due to the make in India initiatives the duties add up.
But yes, doesn't make sense that few of the Samsung models are insanely priced. One of the major reasons for oneplus phone success in India. Most flagship features in the sub 35k price range.

And I use to think that everything in India related to tech is expensive [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Back