Android why phones heating so much ?

I have a galaxy S7 and it heats up a lot. Sometimes even on normal use of insta, facebook browsing after some time it heats up. Battery life is ok as i have recently got battery replaced. I dont use any case of cover as well. When phone was new i remember it never used so heat so much.

Heats up means its doing work. What ?

You need to track what that work is and what is causing it. For facebook people recommended facebook messenger there are alternate clients.

Insta must just be some big hog. Glad i'm not on it.

Like @blr_p mentioned, there is probably some background application that is not allowing your cpu to sleep, identify the application and uninstall it, or uninstall all your apps see if the issue goes away and install apps one by one while monitoring. No need to go for a custom ROM or hardware hacks for this.

Also if you can enable "Developer options" for your current ROM, you can see the list of currently running app services in "Running services" option, and force stop the apps you don't need accordingly.

Like @blr_p mentioned, there is probably some background application that is not allowing your cpu to sleep, identify the application and uninstall it, or uninstall all your apps see if the issue goes away and install apps one by one while monitoring. No need to go for a custom ROM or hardware hacks for this.
Ok, actually galaxy s7 already has a feature in built. if any app consumes lot of background battery the phone itself suggests to put it to sleep.

I have the same phone. Using it since almost two years. I had the several issues like phone was performing slow with stock ROM and severe over-night battery drain (almost 30% to 40%).
The heating problem is also weird. Sometimes it will heat up like anything with normal browsing and usage. Other times while doing the very same things, it will remain cool.
So around 4 to 5 months back, I decided to give custom ROM a try.
I have tried 2 ROMs since then - Lineage OS & LightROM

First I tried Lineage which is very light weight and gave me good battery life. But it had major flaws like no VoLTE support, bad camera & audio cracking sound over headphones.
Then I decided to try the other one - LightROM which is kind of stock Samsung ROM but with almost all bloatware removed. They give you option to choose which Samsung apps you need and want to install.
This one did not have the drawbacks of the Lineage ROM and also had no bloatware. So it did perform good and even battery life was acceptable with my choice of Samsung apps like - Health, Pay etc.

However recently again I noticed that performance is not what it used to be in the initial days of the ROM installation. I have been observing the battery drain again like it used to be with the stock ROM.
I have tried apps like greenify, GSAM monitor & wakelock detectors to find out the culprit but no success yet. Upon re installation of the custom ROM again, the problems will disappear for few days and then will be back again in a week or so.

As per my analysis I feel that the real reason of this could be due to Google apps itself. Things like google maps work-to-home & home-to-work traffic and timing suggestions, google home's news article suggestions, google play's app updates suggestions etc take a toll.
I will test this theory soon in the coming weeks when I will reinstall the ROM again and not install the gapps packages.

In the mean time I'm also waiting for the K20 launch and considering an upgrade.

@^^ mine is mainly heating, battery drain isnt as much as yours as i recently replaced battery. Only thing stopping me from testing ROMs is that the camera goes really abd in them. I had a samsung phone before on which i tried cynogen and camera suffered. I cannot do without a good cam :(

@^^ mine is mainly heating, battery drain isnt as much as yours as i recently replaced battery. Only thing stopping me from testing ROMs is that the camera goes really abd in them. I had a samsung phone before on which i tried cynogen and camera suffered. I cannot do without a good cam :(

Exactly. The ROMs like Lineage OS/Cyanogen screw up the camera pretty bad. Their default camera app is useless. Even if you install 3rd party camera apps like OpenCamera, Footej, GCam etc still the image/video quality is no where near the stock samsung camera quality.
However with LightROM, as I mentioned before, everything is stock Samsung. Hence the pics are the same quality like in case of stock ROM.
The ROM just helps to get rid of all bloatware and you decide what you want to install.
May be you can give that a try.

In my case battery is a big concern to me. I'm not sure if my battery is degraded or not since if you see my battery graph, I will usually charge the phone to 100% before going to bed at around 1:30 to 2AM.
Then I will use it for about an hour watching youtube/twitch on bed till around 3AM. This one hour of screen time and WiFi usage will consume only about 10 to 15% battery. Then I will sleep and wake up around 9:30 to 10AM.
But as per the graph, the battery usage will remain minimal till 8AM and then all hell breaks loose. I will lose almost 20 to 30% battery between 8AM and the time I wake up.
After that it just drains whether I use the phone or not it doesn't matter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190612-162439_GSam Battery Monitor.jpg
    Screenshot_20190612-162439_GSam Battery Monitor.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 133
Exactly. The ROMs like Lineage OS/Cyanogen screw up the camera pretty bad. Their default camera app is useless. Even if you install 3rd party camera apps like OpenCamera, Footej, GCam etc still the image/video quality is no where near the stock samsung camera quality.
However with LightROM, as I mentioned before, everything is stock Samsung. Hence the pics are the same quality like in case of stock ROM.
The ROM just helps to get rid of all bloatware and you decide what you want to install.
May be you can give that a try.

In my case battery is a big concern to me. I'm not sure if my battery is degraded or not since if you see my battery graph, I will usually charge the phone to 100% before going to bed at around 1:30 to 2AM.
Then I will use it for about an hour watching youtube/twitch on bed till around 3AM. This one hour of screen time and WiFi usage will consume only about 10 to 15% battery. Then I will sleep and wake up around 9:30 to 10AM.
But as per the graph, the battery usage will remain minimal till 8AM and then all hell breaks loose. I will lose almost 20 to 30% battery between 8AM and the time I wake up.
Nice, i may just try LightROM as samsung camera will be there.

Tonight just before you are about to go to bed. Turn off wifi on the phone. You don't need wifi to be on when you sleep, right?. See if you can go without it during the day tomorrow if not then switch it on. Otherwise keep it off only when you are asleep

Post your battery graph tomorrow at the end of the cycle

It happens due to overuse of wifi Android users are susceptible to apps running in the background and drawing on resources, such as CPU, Wi-Fi, or mobile internet. If apps run in this way, your device can heat up

Back