Why should I not buy a HTC One S?

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
One possible reason.. it is not available on most websites and almost costs 25K on the ones it is available on.

As for my hunt for the next phone. My Samsung Focus is almost as good as dead as it has stopped charging. I may or may not get it repaired, it may or may not get repaired. :p

Up until last week I was so certain that I will be moving on to a Windows Phone 8 device, most likely Nokia 820. The premature death of the current phone forced me to scramble but it is too soon as the WP8 devices are not available yet. What a disappointment it was as I was certain that WP8 was the OS to get since I already love my current phone. That was until I saw how far Android has come since I used my Froyo device.

Google Now, Project Butter, usability improvements etc make it a much better choice I believe. Not to mention that the app store has always been stellar compared to WP. I will finally be able to use a real Google Maps app. :yahoo: But for all that I must get a phone which is most likely to get updated to 4.2

Now some of you might say that I should get the Google Nexus 4. However I think it will be too costly when it launches here and it has too large a screen for my liking. I don't want to hold a brick to my ear and certainly not one on which I cannot reach the far end of the screen when using in one hand. Don't like the size of GS3 at all. Moreover if I were into that budget then One X would have been a decent contender too. The HTC One S seems like the balanced phone to get. Not too costly, decently powered, fairly sized and looks stunning too.

So is there any reason I should not buy the One S? If no, then what else and why?

PS: For all you know I might end up living on with my Nokia E51 till the time Key Lime Pie is launched. I am generally that confused. :23:

would you be rooting your phone and installing custom roms and playing with them ??
I ask this because indian version of oneS is different and different in terms of inferior processor. Also it has chipping off issues which may have been sorted out. ATM more valuable phone will be xperia S. Give it a look.

Thank you both for pointing out the issues. Kind of what I wanted to know.

I feel Xperia S looks like an uncarved block and not very classy. Maybe I need to have a look at it in person. Though the more important concern is that it will most likely never get an Android 4.2 update. Even 4.1 is "planned" as of now.

aquaticbullet - No I do not intend to root the phone. However I know that one day these indifferent manufacturers will stop pushing the updates. Then I will need to install the custom ROM to enjoy the other improvements that might come with Key Lime.

- - - Updated - - -

@manucitc - Where can I get this for 20K. I looked around but post the conversion, shipping and customs they all come up to ~24K.

Why not get the Prime ? It already has received the 4.2 update - gmano has it and I used it earlier today. Exceptionally smooth with 4.2. Agreed there is no warranty but for about 18k new and I do see one for 16.5k in the TE Market, you cannot go wrong with it!

Why not get the Prime ? It already has received the 4.2 update - gmano has it and I used it earlier today. Exceptionally smooth with 4.2. Agreed there is no warranty but for about 18k new and I do see one for 16.5k in the TE Market, you cannot go wrong with it!
what is prime ? samsung nexus mobile ?

Freaky is referring to the Google Nexus Prime. That has a few drawbacks as I read. Poor battery life, poor contacts management and social integration as comapred to HTC, poor camera.

How much of a difference will the S3 and S4 processor on One S make? I believe they acknowledged/solved the paint chipping issue back in May itself.

The difference is as clear as day and night.
Krait has more battery life and performance, not to mention the availability of custom ROMs are more for it.
But, I seriously feel it is not worth 25K, maybe 20K. Not more. If you can get one for 20K, get it!

The difference is as clear as day and night.
Krait has more battery life and performance, not to mention the availability of custom ROMs are more for it.
But, I seriously feel it is not worth 25K, maybe 20K. Not more. If you can get one for 20K, get it!
Just when I thought I had found my perfect phone, I realize that I am living in a third world country. :(

Look here op...

UNLOCKED HTC ONE S 4G T-MOBILE GSM BLUE ?? MINT 9.9/10 ?? 6548 (Rs. 23157)

Its not exactly 20 k but keep looking and you will have your luck..
Yeah those I had seen earlier. Another problem with these carrier unlocked phones is that they tend to get updates even later.

One possible reason.. it is not available on most websites and almost costs 25K on the ones it is available on.

As for my hunt for the next phone. My Samsung Focus is almost as good as dead as it has stopped charging. I may or may not get it repaired, it may or may not get repaired. :p

Up until last week I was so certain that I will be moving on to a Windows Phone 8 device, most likely Nokia 820. The premature death of the current phone forced me to scramble but it is too soon as the WP8 devices are not available yet. What a disappointment it was as I was certain that WP8 was the OS to get since I already love my current phone. That was until I saw how far Android has come since I used my Froyo device.

Google Now, Project Butter, usability improvements etc make it a much better choice I believe. Not to mention that the app store has always been stellar compared to WP. I will finally be able to use a real Google Maps app. :yahoo: But for all that I must get a phone which is most likely to get updated to 4.2

Now some of you might say that I should get the Google Nexus 4. However I think it will be too costly when it launches here and it has too large a screen for my liking. I don't want to hold a brick to my ear and certainly not one on which I cannot reach the far end of the screen when using in one hand. Don't like the size of GS3 at all. Moreover if I were into that budget then One X would have been a decent contender too. The HTC One S seems like the balanced phone to get. Not too costly, decently powered, fairly sized and looks stunning too.

So is there any reason I should not buy the One S? If no, then what else and why?

PS: For all you know I might end up living on with my Nokia E51 till the time Key Lime Pie is launched. I am generally that confused. :23:

Three drawbacks according to me:

Only 16gb memory with no sd card slot, pentile display and non-removable battery.

I have a T-mobile one s !
The phone is absolutely brilliant . battery goes for about 30-32 hours with moderate use . 24hrs with heavy-ish usage .
Ive used iPhone and many other androids and nokias . By far this has been the smoothest experience .
The camera is not that good though .
Id suggest you to got for it if non removable battery and limited storage is not an issue .
If you are willing to use a used one. PM me . I'd be selling it in a month though , not now . I want bigger screen . probably NOTE 2 :D

I feel Xperia S looks like an uncarved block and not very classy. Maybe I need to have a look at it in person. Though the more important concern is that it will most likely never get an Android 4.2 update. Even 4.1 is "planned" as of now.
With all that Sony has been doing, contributing to the AOSP project etc. the Xperia S has a much better chance of getting 4.2 and future updates as opposed to the One S. Read this and this. If you can overlook the looks which you don't like, the Xperia S is a pretty decent choice. IINM, it has the highest pixel density among all phones currently selling in India. Decent camera as well.

Three drawbacks according to me:

Only 16gb memory with no sd card slot, pentile display and non-removable battery.
I don't use the phone as a PMP so even 8GB is sufficient for me. Non removable battery is fine though I don't know what will I do when I need to rip off the battery to hard boot a phone. As for the pentile display, I have read that it is noticeable only if we hold it closer than a foot from the eyes. Is it true?

If you are willing to use a used one. PM me . I'd be selling it in a month though , not now . I want bigger screen . probably NOTE 2 :D
Not really keen but a good price might sway me away.

With all that Sony has been doing, contributing to the AOSP project etc. the Xperia S has a much better chance of getting 4.2 and future updates as opposed to the One S. Read this and this. If you can overlook the looks which you don't like, the Xperia S is a pretty decent choice. IINM, it has the highest pixel density among all phones currently selling in India. Decent camera as well.
That all looks promising on paper but I still don't see a 4.1 upgrade yet. So I wonder how fast things will move. But yes I can overlook the aesthetics a bit. :p

A question about availability of One S globally. Why is it that only the blue gradient phones are available everywhere.

Has the Indian one X got the jellybean update yet?

Sorry I meant the One S. i have the One X and it hasn't received the official 4.1 update as of now. That's why I am running CM10.

Was at the airport today and stepped into a Croma store. Held a One X in my hand and was sold instantly even before I could power it on. Apparently the large screen is not that much of a drawback for this handset. Have not bought it yet but would most likely be buying it online from Infibeam on EMI. :p

Was at the airport today and stepped into a Croma store. Held a One X in my hand and was sold instantly even before I could power it on. Apparently the large screen is not that much of a drawback for this handset. Have not bought it yet but would most likely be buying it online from Infibeam on EMI. :p
one x has got great built - the ceramic body feels much premium to s3 and price is also a bit lover around 28-30k

Back