WiFi Router + Modem solution for GTPL

aKp1

Disciple
Hey Grey matters!
I have got GTPL broadband.
It has got this small white modem having two RJ45.
1 is the Cable (what is this called, WAN cable?) which is the source coming from somewhere outside.
2nd is a LAN cable which goes to my PCs RJ45.

Now I am thinking to get a WiFi router.
But I am skeptical, that I'll have to keep this modem and the LAN cable has to be then inserted into the WiFi router and from there to the PC. Am I right?

If this is not the case and the white box modem can be completely removed, then is it OK to get any decent WiFi router?

Or if this is the case, then is there any solution like modem + wifi router so that I can totally eliminate that white box modem!
I don't want two boxes clinging around!

But I am skeptical, that I'll have to keep this modem and the LAN cable has to be then inserted into the WiFi router and from there to the PC. Am I right?
If your PC supports WiFi then the LAN cable will terminate at WiFi router.

Or if this is the case, then is there any solution like modem + wifi router so that I can totally eliminate that white box modem!
Ask your ISP the kind of router+modem your connection supports. If that modem is something proprietary then you'll have to buy WiFi router only and the original modem will stay.

...It has got this small white modem having two RJ45...

Post a clear pic of the label of the white box. Without knowing what kind of device it is, we can't really tell you if you need to keep it or can replace it with a wifi router.

Also, a pic of the back of the box, where the wires go in would also help. You've said it's 2xRJ45 but sometimes they use coax or OF cable...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back