Will 4GB RAM give a better gaming performance? vs 2GB

You'll get more performance by switching to Vista 32bit as 64bit video card drivers are immature. There is no benefit of 4GB in gaming as of now. You'd probably get way more performance if you dump that 8600GT and get something like an 8800GTS/GTX/Ultra

Chaos said:
You'll get more performance by switching to Vista 32bit as 64bit video card drivers are immature.

wrong info ... i get better or same performance on Vista 64bit

Chaos said:
There is no benefit of 4GB in gaming as of now.

wrong again ... on Vista 2GB is not enough in quite a few scenarios ... not just gaming

in gaming it will only help if you use resolutions above 1280x1024

Chaos said:
You'd probably get way more performance if you dump that 8600GT and get something like an 8800GTS/GTX/Ultra

ya that is true but changing the gpu now is not worth it

so eXcesscaLIBER if you use resolutions above 1280x1024 while gaming then buy 4GB RAM

Ya Vieeeeta 64-bit better off with a Dual Core/Quad core & 4 GB of RAM. Tried playing some latest games(COJ,LP-EC) on Vista 32-bit with 2 GB & it was swapping as if there is no end even with the latest Vista patch applied which was supposes to fix the memory drain.

Vista here u go to dustbin :rofl:

Btw getting 2 GB more of RAM nw was not a bad idea considering the price & the thing that the new 80nm memory chips(from Hynix, PSC, Micron) are ocing quite good :)

RiO said:
Udit, if those statements are true, Vista has a long way to go and I'll probably never switch to it even for DX10. No wonder Microsoft is allowing PC makers switch to XP instead (I refuse to call that a downgrade lol).

ya vista does have a longggggg way to go :(

i switched due to it's better ease of access (accessibility) features :)

i'm using 2GB page files & 2GB RAM until my 2GB more Ram arrives by October 15th :D

Well, 4GB of RAM will utilized only by 64bit Vista, since 64bit drivers are not that good as of now, its better to wait for a while before upgrading to 4gig of RAM!!

hellrider said:
Well, 4GB of RAM will utilized only by 64bit Vista, since 64bit drivers are not that good as of now

who said so???

64bit drivers are perfect now as i use vista x64 ;)

Chaos said:
You'll get more performance by switching to Vista 32bit as 64bit video card drivers are immature. There is no benefit of 4GB in gaming as of now. You'd probably get way more performance if you dump that 8600GT and get something like an 8800GTS/GTX/Ultra

Ummm, No. Vista x64's gaming performance is more-or-less same as XP x86. Notwithstanding the slightly lower score in 3DMark, everything plays at exactly the same frame rate. with 163.xx Series, nVidia's Vista driver support is in it's best shape and keeps on improving.

Well, 4GB of RAM will utilized only by 64bit Vista, since 64bit drivers are not that good as of now[/QUOTE]

People seriously need to check their facts before rambling off. No wonder Vista gets so much hatred. did you even use Vista x64? or are you saying that just for the sake of it?

I guess most people switched to Vista because it "looks" better, and some for DX10

Vista has many features that once you get used to, you can't go back to XP. there's more than what meets the eye, DX10 is just a gaming feature. Vista's kernel is written from scratch and is anyday more secure than Linux or Mac (hah!) plus the Start menu search function, SuperFetch and Individual volumes for each programs are an awesome addition. FYI, I won't switch to a New OS just for cosmetic reasons. My WinXP Installation on the second PC already looked like Vista thanks to VistaInspirant pack. again, After using Vista for so long, degrading back to XP is impossible.

The same question creeps up again...

Planning to upgrade a few components to play games like FarCry2, GTA4 at 1280 x 1024 on DirectX10 ultra quality..

I got 2GB DDR2 (max mobo can support) and Nvidia 8600GT overclock edition. I am thinking between going in for a new mobo and additional 4GB DDR2 (total of 6GB Ram) OR SLI mobo and another 8600GT video card OR simply upgrade my video card on the current system to like 8800 or something. What should be the logical first step to experiment?

(Current system key specs - Core2duo E6300, ASUS P5LD2-VM SE mobo, 2X1GB ram, nvdia 8600GT 256MB DDR3, 17" LCD, on Windows7 64bit. I am not keen on spending too much at the moment in anticipation of directX11 video cards and DDR3 and Quad core prices falling to a reasonable level before doing a full system revamp)

Cheapest and best option (for you): sell your 8600GT, add around 5K more and get 9800GT. Also, please play a little with your CPU and pump it up by at least 600 to 700 Mhz. At lower resolution CPU matters a lot.

Before buying more RAM, buy a better PSU (if you don't have one already).

Rest of your PC specs are fine for the resolution you are aiming at.

PS: BTW, 4GB memory is indeed *advisable* for gaming nowadays. I am playing Crysis warhead and memory usage on 64-bit Vista is around over 60% (2.5GB) on my PC when Warhead is running.

For many games like crysis and GTA there is lot of memory required to load textures ...

So drfinately increased in RAM will improve performance

Back