Audio Will a DAC like Topping D30 improve my Edifier S1000MKII's audio quality?

Casual Gamer

Disciple
Hello,

Being a noob in the audio world, this is my first post on the consumer electronics section. I recently bought an Edifier S1000MKII at 26,500 Indian Rupees. I am using it with my TV and Computer simultaneously. I am very happy with the sound I am getting from these speakers.

I connected it using an optical cable to my My Samsung NU7100 TV. So, it is a digital connection.
In case of my computer, I connected it via RCA cable to the motherboard's built in audio chip. So, it's an analogue connection.
This speaker has the option to change the input type using the remote control.

My question is if I use an external DAC like Topping D30 between these connections, will the sound quality of Edifier S1000MKII be noticeably improved? By improvement, I mean more clarity, lessening of distortion and more crispness.

Topping D30 accepts USB, optical and coaxial inputs. I plan to use it like
TV >Topping D30's optical input (via TOSlink cable)>Speaker (via RCA cable)
PC>Topping D30's USB input (via USB cable)>Speaker (via RCA cable)

My target is to bypass the speaker's built-in DAC in case of the TV and Motherboard's built-in DAC in case of the PC. And using the external DAC for the conversion in both cases.

I am specially asking this question because I heard Edifier speakers have something called DSP built in which converts the analogue signal into Digital within the speaker. This means whatever DAC is used for the conversion becomes useless and it sounds same even with a super expensive DAC.
Thanks in advance :)

I am specially asking this question because I heard Edifier speakers have something called DSP built in which converts the analogue signal into Digital within the speaker. This means whatever DAC is used for the conversion becomes useless and it sounds same even with a super expensive DAC.

Yeah, I saw that info on Edifier's site too. BS claim if they really do that since speakers cannot play back digital signals and only play back analog signals. I also cannot see what they would get doing the double conversion - from analog to digital and back to analog. I doubt their chip could beat a dedicated DAC in conversion. This is why i stay away from their speakers.

Even if they do have some dac on board, then no use of you buying another dac to put in between then. Just throwing money on something that will convert audio signals for nothing.

Looking at the teardown of another Edifier speaker (R1700BT), it reminds me of my Altec Lansing speaker from inside.

Edit: Had to strike out my previous reply. On thinking again, maybe they have optimised their onboard DAC for their particular speaker config. I have seen difference in putting a Fiio dac between my old AL speakers and a phone or pc, so probably, if your speakers are similar, then there could be a difference in sound quality.

Last edited:
Edit: Had to strike out my previous reply. On thinking again, maybe they have optimised their onboard DAC for their particular speaker config. I have seen difference in putting a Fiio dac between my old AL speakers and a phone or pc, so probably, if your speakers are similar, then there could be a difference in sound quality.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I need to be sure about this before investing for the DAC. Otherwise, the money will be wasted if it sounds the same. How can I be sure about this?

I would've never asked this question, if I bought a well-known speaker like audioengine a5. I could buy the DAC then without any hesitation.

It will change. DAC outputs analog signals, so any low or extra bass etc is already there in output of DAC before it is sent as analog signal to the speakers.

Example, many phones come with a good onboard DAC now. You get music apps that can playback bit perfect (or not) by using an equaliser in the app.
Try changing bass, mids and treble in the music app during playback and see if it changes in the speaker.

Try Neutron player from play store. It has 64 bit output. Use it to playback stuff to your speakers directly from phone. It has a few days free trial.

In my opinion, you are speaker limited. upgrading a DAC will not give you any significant gains. for your speaker, anything above an $100 DAC is overkill (heck, a topping D10 is overkill)
to hear the difference between a D10 and a D30, you probably need a setup well north of 1L and a keen ear

true digital amps are very expensive. the edifier probably has a class D ("digital") which takes analog inputs and probably has only a DAC.

how is the sound via optical vs RCA? if optical is better, then your pc soundcard is crap, and see if you can get a cheap USB to optical adapter. else there is not much you can upgrade

Back