Win 7 Desktop appears 2 mins after login

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Hi,

I have 2 logins on my system
TIMINGS
System PowerOn to Windows login screen : 39 secs
Daughters Login - No problem as desktop comes up in 2 to 3 seconds !!
My User Login (also Administrator) - takes 1 minute & 54 seconds (after loging in and about 35 secs later - the screen goes black and only mouse cursor is visible - it moves when we shift mouse)

Other Details:
Windows 7 - 64 bit; OS is on OCZ-Vertex 128GB (45.6 GB is free); Norton 360 premiere edition.
Intel 3770K; 16GB-RAM;

I installed System Mechanic Prof 12.5 to see if it could clean up junk .... but this has not made a difference.

Do you need any further details?

Thanks
Terry

Press "Windows" + R
Run command window will pop up. Type "msconfig" and switch to the startup tab. Here you will find the programs that are triggered to run during Windows start up. Disable the programs that you do not require. See if that helps!

^ Even this won't help much. Install Ccleaner and edit startup programs from it.

Done all that - msconfig & CCleaner - It did identify further junk. However no changes in timings
After I login - Blue Welcome Screen remains for 29 secs ..... then shifts to Black Screen ..... Desktop appears after 1 min 56 secs !!

Try creating a new user account. I faced the same issue when i created a separate account for my brother on the pc. His account used to login immediately and mine used to take about a minute.

Thanks @6pack & @Faraz .... Will check both these options by evening.

Just 1 querry @6pack - I randomly skimmed through the ocz link. This procedure appears a wee bit scary to me. If I screw up things I cannot dream of re-installing OS & everything else. BESIDES - Why is that for my daughter's login there are no problems ?

Last edited:
Must be definitely one of the startup entries that is causing the problem. You need to look at the startup entry list more carefully. If you cannot figure out those entries on your own, then post the list here, and we will help.

HiJackThis is also a useful tool to list startup entries.

And CCleaner, as suggested by someone else, was not suggested to clean junk. It was suggested because CCleaner has a Startup tool in its Tools section, where you can look at the list of startup entries, and delete or disable or enable them quite easily.

Done all that - msconfig & CCleaner - It did identify further junk. However no changes in timings
After I login - Blue Welcome Screen remains for 29 secs ..... then shifts to Black Screen ..... Desktop appears after 1 min 56 secs !!

Edit these but I have a feeling it has something to do with admin account.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Recently I subscribed to Adobe's creative cloud Photoshop CS6. This required, among other things, to install Adobe Creative Cloud service manager as well as Adobe Updater. After this my log in time increased from under 30secs to above one minute. Also if you have Google drive/mail/tasks installed with synchronization on then these also add substantially to your log in time.

Try creating a new user account. I faced the same issue when i created a separate account for my brother on the pc. His account used to login immediately and mine used to take about a minute.

Second that recommendation. I have seen similar problems which were traced back to a corrupted User Profile. Had to create a new account and then copy over the required stuff from the bad profile to fix the problem.

Second that recommendation. I have seen similar problems which were traced back to a corrupted User Profile. Had to create a new account and then copy over the required stuff from the bad profile to fix the problem.

+2, try creating a new Admin account. Also try to log in from the hidden/default Administrator account in Windows and see how much it takes to log in.

Another thing is, did you try disabling internet, uninstalling Norton 360 and then logging in?

Rather than making a new admin account, I would suggest to first look for other issues.

In an earlier post, @6pack had provided a link for black screen... that should be read. Some posted there that a network drive could be a problem. Worth looking into.

@manoja2k also provided a suggestion, which is also worth looking into.

From CCleaner's screenshots, your startup list looks OK. You have disabled the unnecessary Adobe programs, and that's good. However, the process USB3mon should be enabled, as it's the Intel process which controls the USB ports, and it should be left running.

The scheduled tasks seems like quite big though. I have never seen such a big scheduled task list. That needs some looking into. Many of the tasks there seem to be related to Windows Media Center... those are the ones with ehome folder, and ehPrivJob.exe process. Are you making use of it? If not, then that can be disabled I guess. I have never used it though, and I don't know if it can be disabled, or not. So, if someone else can provide their input on that, it would be great.

I would suggest that you first take a look at what programs you have installed on your computer, which are really unnecessary. Uninstall those unnecessary programs. That would be beneficial in many ways. First, it would free up a lot of space, and also reduce clutter. It will also be beneficial in case of scheduled tasks from those programs, or startup processes.

From the programs list, also take a look at which programs or Windows features you don't use. Do you use Windows backup? sdclt.exe in the scheduled task is related to Windows backup. If you don't use that feature, remove that task from there, and also if the service runs in background, stop it from Services in Control Panel.

Similarly, wsqmcons.exe is another Windows process, which runs if you have participated in the Customer Service Improvement by Microsoft. You can opt out of that, and so that scheduled task and process will go away too.

Lpremove is related to language pack removal. So, look into that too.

So, look into all such things, and see if uninstalling, or disabling such programs/services has any effect.

Also, look into your antivirus. Check its settings. Look if there might be a setting which might be interfering with normal booting.

OP you are the first person I know using pro version of Ccleaner. I am no expert but the images display a ton of scheduled tasks/startup items.

Thank you so much for all these inputs - especially @CapriAnupam - I will have to carefully check and disable quite a few things :mad:

And the problem seems to be getting worse - now it's more than 3 minutes to - Desktop.

Wifey thinks all this has worsened after getting the new wi-fi router [Asus RT-N14U] o_O

And no @6pack I have not yet checked safe-mode timings.

Earlier - after desktop appears. My system "Windows-Network" would also display all available computers in the neighbourhood. ... (I am using Pacenet Broadband & earlier was using a gigabyte PCI-E based wifi-card). Now this is resolved (I do not see anyone else's systems)

Thank you so much for all these inputs - especially @CapriAnupam - I will have to carefully check and disable quite a few things :mad:

And the problem seems to be getting worse - now it's more than 3 minutes to - Desktop.

Wifey thinks all this has worsened after getting the new wi-fi router [Asus RT-N14U] o_O

And no @6pack I have not yet checked safe-mode timings.

Earlier - after desktop appears. My system "Windows-Network" would also display all available computers in the neighbourhood. ... (I am using Pacenet Broadband & earlier was using a gigabyte PCI-E based wifi-card). Now this is resolved (I do not see anyone else's systems)
If possible hard wire your desktop to the modem.

If possible hard wire your desktop to the modem.

It is hardwired (RJ45 ethernet cable).

QUERRY:

Why is my USER Profile/Login file data so heavy [7.56GB] vs my daughters [just 4.42MB]

See attached screenshots
the following folders have max data
C:\Users\Terence\AppData - 6.75GB >>>> C:\Users\Terence\AppData\Local\Microsoft (5.16 GB)
C:\Users\Terence\Documents - 636 MB

Is this too necessary - C:\Users\Terence\AppData\Roaming - 401 MB - I do not need/use any Roaming profile
User_Info001.JPG User_Info002.JPG

Back