Win7 Boot drive format

Amien

Skilled
Hello. I'm in need of some help. I recently built a PC for a friend, but due to being short on time I could not install an anti-virus program after installing the OS and running basic stability tests, so i left that up to him. Long story short, he tried using some removable storage and got infected. The virus eats up 70-80% of the CPU's processing power via random miscellaneous .exe's as soon as the system boots and does not allow opening the task manager, system restore, msconfig... basically anything that can fix the issue. Moreover, on trying to format the drive using the Win7 disc, the system directly boots from the HDD despite changing boot priorities in BIOS to the CD/DVD ROM. I'm beginning to wonder if there is any way to format the OS partition w/o physically re-locating the HDD to a different system. I'm confused as to how the BIOS boot priority setting is being ignored.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

try the boot menu ... like for MSI we have F11 ..which when pressed during the boot time gives options of booting through pendrive / HDD /DVD drive :) hopw ths helps ..

^Try Pen-drive boot!

You can also try to boot with Linux / Win live CD and confirm whether the virus has indeed blocked the CD / DVD.

deathgoddg said:
try the boot menu ... like for MSI we have F11 ..which when pressed during the boot time gives options of booting through pendrive / HDD /DVD drive :) hopw ths helps ..
Does not register, no matter what the setting it boots directly from HDD.
demonic said:
^^^+1 to that...
u can even try to format using pendrive,by selecting boot from removable storage...
I'll give it a go, thanks. Although I'm quite sure it'll end up the same way as with the CD ROM boot...
ayanavish said:
^Try Pen-drive boot!

You can also try to boot with Linux / Win live CD and confirm whether the virus has indeed blocked the CD / DVD.
The problem is that even with the only boot option set to CD/DVD and all other options disabled it still boots from HDD. In that case other discs may not make a difference.
Thanks a ton for all the suggestions though, I'll give them all a go, re-check and then post back. Please post if you have any other suggestions. Thanks! ^^

if the lappy if out of warranty, open that bustard, remove the hdd and attach it to a pc and abut the virus....i think you know what to do

disconnect the hdd and see if it can boot from cd/dvd just to make sure it is not some bios level issue with bootup.

^^madnav is asking to remove the hdd and try booting from a cd.
And yes it will boot provided the cd/dvd is bootable

Try other OS like Win xp.

Usually if DVD drive or disc is corrupt than system bypass it and boots from HDD.

Check that DVD drive is correctly connected or OS disk is not scratched.

I have even installed Win7 from USB stick without problem(handy with netbooks ,as no DVD drive)

He said all other options are disabled except for dvd.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

virus not allowing bios to function properly does not sound correct but who knows. As already asked what if you remove the drive totally and boot from dvd. Additionally Try downloading gmer or icesword and see what it says.

[quote name='adi_vastava']He said all other options are disabled except for dvd.

There is difference between disable by OP or disabled (in the sense that system is not offering choice).
What I get is OP disabled all drives except DVD drive from BIOS settings.
He needs to check that DVD drive and/or OS disk is correct.

I bro had same problem. I advised him to put the CPU disconnected to power and kept out the mobo battery away from motherboard for a while and then did a fresh install It worked like a charm.

Secondly, I dont think its a laptop but as someone here has writing something like that you can still try updating bios of system *but it can be risky thou*

Try first option and all de best..

Back