Windows Windows 10 should DIE !!! Microsoft experts ruined it. ?

Windows 10 WORST/BEST OS for YEAR 2018 by MICROSOFT ? WHY ?

• Yes, Its BEST.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • LOL. Its Worst, since last many years..

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • I am fine with this version works well... (KINDLY elaborate where in reply) :)

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I always loved Microsoft, no matter.. its best or worst.. (i Love it)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • What is Microsoft Windows 10 ? Never heard !

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Microsoft was good/best, not anymore.. I have options but cannot switch..

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • What is OS.. New to industry (kindly reply too) ;)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If your updates are eating 15-20gb of space then you are doing something wrong. A properly maintained win 10 installation(excl installed softwares) should not need more than 50gb under any circumstances with or without updates.

If your updates are eating 15-20gb of space then you are doing something wrong. A properly maintained win 10 installation(excl installed softwares) should not need more than 50gb under any circumstances with or without updates.
48 max.. issue is windows 7 automatically gets upgraded to 10.. however nice i try..
THIS SUCKS.. and Windows 10 fails on everything..

Its just not me.. search around and there are millions..

realise that it rebooted for updates even thought you've set the alternate hours for installing upd
I have used many versions of win10 and right now im using latest version because i did clean install and creation tool installed that one.
You can stop windows from automatically installing/downloading updates. Just change settingr from group editor and choose manual download+installation of updates.
Only problem that i face on this OS is that if you don't download updates, after a certain time I'm not sure how many months it will automatically bring a screen to you which will tell you to download updates.
That screen gets priority and will force any program you are using to get minimized untill you click 'view updates'.

it will automatically bring a screen to you which will tell you to download updates.
That screen gets priority and will force any program you are using to get minimized untill you click 'view updates'.
That can be very well blocked permanently via group policy settings.

its weird that no one sees any problem in going through a registry editor or group editor or do ten other steps in order to get their machine to work. and people say linux is bad for noobs when they are doing more than that on windows just to get their OS to work. lol.

its weird that no one sees any problem in going through a registry editor or group editor or do ten other steps in order to get their machine to work. and people say linux is bad for noobs when they are doing more than that on windows just to get their OS to work. lol.
So you mean going through registry or group policy is a problem? If you have ever worked in a windows infra you must have came across AD. And unless you have Group policy what would have you done in such environment? Simply log on log off in domain. GP serves a great purpose and so does registry. Its not to make the machine work but to alter some in-depth low level settings to bypass the usual high level settings. This wasn't a complex case until win 10. But what Microsoft has done is good considering the current scenario of ransomwares and other attacks. If it simply goes on keeping all such options open for the end user imagine what can happen. The user will disable everything and in the end will miss all important updates & definitions and screw up himself and blame MS. Right?

Some tweaks are best kept on expert level or unless you know what you are fiddling with.

And comparing linux and ms is illogical here. Both are good in their own way.

So you mean going through registry or group policy is a problem? If you have ever worked in a windows infra you must have came across AD. And unless you have Group policy what would have you done in such environment? Simply log on log off in domain. GP serves a great purpose and so does registry. Its not to make the machine work but to alter some in-depth low level settings to bypass the usual high level settings. This wasn't a complex case until win 10. But what Microsoft has done is good considering the current scenario of ransomwares and other attacks. If it simply goes on keeping all such options open for the end user imagine what can happen. The user will disable everything and in the end will miss all important updates & definitions and screw up himself and blame MS. Right?

Some tweaks are best kept on expert level or unless you know what you are fiddling with.

And comparing linux and ms is illogical here. Both are good in their own way.

why are you taking it out of context? home users do not need to go into registry settings or group policy. If you are a network admin you should know that group policy is meant only for network admins and not for normal users. even registry tweaking can cause the os not to boot properly if something was deleted or something.

everyday users shouldn't be messing with these settings just to stop windows updating or to stop nag screens etc. that was my point.

comparing ms windows and linux is not illogical here. in linux we don't have to do such things to stop updates or any such forced malware type behaviour from the os.

when it comes to vulnerability, it does sucks because you must be done with windows 10 updates time to time. But in term of user experience i think its best so far...

group policy is meant only for network admins and not for normal users. even registry tweaking can cause the os not to boot properly if something was deleted or something.
I already mentioned "Some tweaks are best kept on expert level or unless you know what you are fiddling with." Thus somebody having no registry kb messing with the registry is his responsibility.

everyday users shouldn't be messing with these settings just to stop windows updating or to stop nag screens etc. that was my point.
Where are users deprived? And they dont have to everyday do any settings. They can very well simply pause updates. May be after some months a nag screen popsup for forceful updates but this is to remind the user that it has been quite a long time windows was update and this is with good context Ms is forcing for an update at that time as updates are released almost every day and over the period user has very well missed tons of loop hole fixes already. This is to safeguard the user and his data.

comparing ms windows and linux is not illogical here. in linux we don't have to do such things to stop updates or any such forced malware type behaviour from the os.
Coz linux is anyways secured and virus free so pausing or disabling updates wont harm the end user. But thats not the case with windows so initiative by Ms is a welcomed one.

While the thread title is a bit harsh, there is some degree of truth to the pointer that windows in general has gone south from the days of XP which felt built to a purpose.
Case in point - I have been using OS X for personal computing for past decade.. At the same time, I have been using windows for office and various flavour of Linux for my home server needs..
As stable as Linux (at least the flavours I tried, and I tried a lot) may be when it comes to a cli (or web ui) based setup, the regular GUI has way too many complications for it to be suitable for anyone but users at extreme ends (casual users who have basic needs / super geeky users who actually enjoy sifting through forum posts to accomplish something that a Windows or OS X user could do in a far simpler manner)

Coming to Windows, although I had no love for the disjointed UI (e.g.settings app vs traditional control panel co-existence), I still wanted to give it another chance for home usage
Given that a major reason OS X feels so well put together is Apple's full control over the hardware stack/lackof hardware fragmentation), I chose to buy a surface pro 4 under the assumption that being a MS hardware , it should be niggle free...
No such luck - Microsoft's own flagship hardware is plagued with the same niggles that make me prefer my MacBook so much more over my office Dell..
Most of the issues are fairly random and have no pattern - but they aren't rare and do happen with a fairly regular frequency
Random slowdowns/inexplicable delays in app startup -
Sometimes wifi will fail to connect after resume from standby (till you disable and re-enable wifi)
Sometimes the type cover will fail altogether (requiring a restart)

Note that none of them are real deal breakers- and if I didn't know that non flaky options also exist (like each MacBook Air or 12 that has lasted me years and probably still continue to run for the OLX/forum users who brought them used), I would have actually liked the surface system for what it's worth

My surface woes don't end there unfortunately (and none are hardware related - which is ironically quite good)
After a year of these random issues, I tried using the Surface recovery drive to reinstall the OS
As unbelievable as it may sound - creating the recovery drive requires the end user to a) Create a recovery drive using windows (which keeps failing)
b) Unzip the recovery contents into the said drive - which did not work for some reason, so I used windows explorer to extract contents - which for some reason was taking 2 hour + to extract 8GB.. so I eventually extracted using the MacBook
c) The unintuitive recovery process kept failing for no rhyme or reason - nor would it provide any helpful details on the error code

Eventually I grabbed a Windows 10 cracked version off torrents , installed that and then got the drivers from the MS site to make the device functional again

Adding screenshot of step #3 of the total 7 steps you need to take to reinstall the OS on a Surface device - each step of course comprising several odd convoluted sub-steps

Attachments

• surface_recovery.jpeg
    surface_recovery.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I am glad I stopped using Windows 15 years back.
I can't imagine how much time i saved and how much frustration i avoided.

The only version of Windows that I had any serious issues with is Windows ME. It was the only version that was so bad that I had stop using it after a few days. I have used Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Windows 8.1, I have used only for a very short duration at work and it was worse than the others, but nowhere close to Windows ME.

The last decent version of Mac OS that I have used is Mac OS 10.3 Panther. Every release after that is rubbish and roughly around the same level as Windows ME in stability.

Also used various flavors of Linux since 1997 starting with Slackware 3.x and later all other major distributions, but they all still have their own set of problem's to prevent mainstream adoption. Under the hood of Android is the only way Linux will see any mainstream success.

Currently, I am using Windows 10 Pro on Surface 4 Pro and without entering license key on my desktop rig as well and have had no issues on either.

All original Macs at work (iMac, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro) from multiple generation over a 14 year period. I used Panther on a PPC based Power Mac G5. After that I used 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 on both Power Mac G5 and Intel based hardware. Incidentally, at one point, I was running a 20" iMac with Mac OS 10.4, 10.5 and Windows 7 (through Boot camp) as my main development machine. Windows 7 ran much stable on that iMac compared to Mac OS.

The main reasons for this.

1.Tiger saw a massive rewrite of the graphics API from Quick Draw to Quartz and deprecation of Quickdraw, It was done in such a uncontrolled and haphazard manner that it left the entire GUI layer and API unstable. Merely installing a few font's can result in issues ranging from screen corruption to app and system crashes. It was barely usable till 4-5 updates were released.

2. Apple no longer focused on Mac OS X. My company had close ties with Apple since the 80's and generally used to get OS builds way before they reached the public or even the developers. During Snow leopard development, Apple pulled all the OS X development team to work for iOS. They clearly conveyed that Snow Leopard has no importance before iOS and because of that, Snow leopard was released with may bugs, broken API, font support and stability issues. It was so bad that may tools used by desktop publishing professionals were broken and our company had to put out an advisory asking customers to avoid updating to Snow Leopard till apple decides to fix it. Many enterprise and freelance customers had also started ditching Mac's in favor of windows workstations since there was nothing to be gained anymore from going for Mac's.

Most normal users who use Mac's for regular everyday work might not face problems, but this is no longer the case when you have to use it for professional work. Your apps can stop working or run into issues even with a minor update to the OS. Getting apple to fix bugs promptly is an exercise in futility. It is up to their whims and wishes.

Windows is not flawless, but the experience for me so far has been vastly better than Mac OS. I appreciate the fact that despite having to cope with so much diverse combinations of hardware compared to Mac's and their selective hardware, it remains fairly problem stable. Performance and professional software compatibility were the main reasons to prefer Mac's over windows in the 80's and 90's, but this is no longer the case.

SOME SOLUTIONS FOR WINDOWS 10 crap:
1. Use windows 8.1 (WITH AN OPEN MIND). I do not understand why win 8 gets hate. Yes metro apps are terrible, but one can just ignore. I have used this for years and never bothered with the whole metro interface.
- some (rare) win 10 specific stuff won't work. But Good option for a few years IMO
- Just ignore metro apps.

2. https://www.ntlite.com/ - Remove crap from windows BEFORE installation, to the iso file itself.
- use to remove unwanted crap, customize windows 10 iso
- has free version
- Nice guided GUI, but user still has to be careful to not remove stuff that might be needed.

3. Windows 10 LTSB
LTSB does not include Edge nor any Microsoft Store (Universal Windows Platform, or UWP) apps, whether Redmond-made or third-part, because the browser and those apps constantly change and need updating. Also AWOL: the Cortana voice-activated digital assistant and access to the Microsoft Store.

linux is anyways secured and virus free so pausing or disabling updates wont harm the end user.
That's completely false. With known vulnerabilities and no security updates, your OS won't be able to help you.

Back