Windows 7 End of Support - KDE Plasma - W7 Replacement.

soulweaver

Offending Sensibilities
Adept
Sep 2, 2005
Now that Windows 7 is reaching end of support soon (Jan 14th 2020), the Linux community (more accurately KDE) is drumming up hype for KDE Plasma. The community is looking for ways to help people migrate to a version of KDE with a theme that makes it appear and function quite similarly to Windows 7.

1578659793893.png

These are the configurations that will make KDE mimic (not entirely though) Windows 7

• Plasma Theme: Seven Black
• Window Decorations: Seven Black
• Application Style: gtk2
• GTK Theme: Windows Se7en by Elbullazul
• Icons: Darkine
• Colors: Breeze Light
• Cursors: DMZ White
• Splash Screen: Feren OS
• Panel: 38 height
• Widgets: Default Apps Menu, I-O Task Manager, Stock System Tray, Feren Calendar or Event Calendar, Win7 Show Desktop

Take a look at the video here

If you are already on KDE - you can download plasma here:
https://kde.org/plasma-desktop

6pack

ex-Mod
Sep 19, 2005
Only xfce comes closest to looking like windows. I have Xubuntu installed and kids from my building thought it was new version of Windows 10 :D

They were thinking how file explorer is all black since i had used a dark theme. Told them it's Linux and not Windows. I guess in school, only Windows is taught to children.

• Haha
Reactions: netant

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Pune, India
I don't know why these people want to mimic windows UI (just to attract windows users) - the KDE UI is pretty awesome and windows-like anyways and plenty of stuff (behaviours) can be customised in the settings. Most windows users are not going to download KDE and start installing custom themes and plugins, they should make it simpler for windows users to just install and run KDE with minimal effort.

One of my OS in multi boot on my PC is KDE Neon ( https://neon.kde.org ) and it is very good.

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Pune, India
Then there are Adobe apps too. Also various obscure accounting software which prevent people from ditching Windows.

soulweaver

Offending Sensibilities
Adept
Sep 2, 2005
Also, to be fair, windows is awesome. I have been using Mac, Windows, and Linux, and I find windows to be the least painful of all for general use.

Adding printers in Mac is a proper pain. Even reasonably popular printers never work plug and play in Mac.

And for linux, like @6pack said, there's the office incompatibility. And integration of cloud drives is also not easy.

Adding to that is the adobe replacement issue, goddammnit why doesn't anyone comeup with a proper replacement for Acrobat?

And as far as hardware hotswappability is concerned, Windows will remain king, or so it seems. With Windows X, and arm support, it won't be a surprise if it comes to older mobile and tablet devices as well!

Last edited:

Chaos

Veteran
Jan 29, 2005
The UI is the last thing why people stick to windows. For anyone working, its all about applications, workflow, hardware being used for it and a load of other things. Windows UI is garbage and there are a whole heap of better UIs available in other operating systems.

lucytaylor01

Disciple
Nov 26, 2019
tweaklibrary.com
Yes this is true After January 14, 2020 if you still have Windows 7 on your PC, it isn’t that you won’t be able to operate it. You will still be able to operate it, but you wouldn’t receive any free security patches for Microsoft. Apart from that Microsoft will also not provide for the following –
  • Any further software updates
  • Any upcoming security updates or fixes for any security and
  • Technical support for any kind of issues
Note - Please update your windows 7 to 10, How? click on it https://tweaklibrary.com/how-to-get-windows-10-update/

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Pune, India

Nice video:

netant

Adept
Oct 12, 2012
People will come to linux only when MS releases MSOffice for linux.
Possibilities are slim but given Microsoft’s recent inclination towards open source. This would be possible in future.
Also, office is now subscription based, I don’t see any harm for ms to not do it.