Windows 7 End of Support - KDE Plasma - W7 Replacement.

soulweaver

Nice is Free
Patron
Now that Windows 7 is reaching end of support soon (Jan 14th 2020), the Linux community (more accurately KDE) is drumming up hype for KDE Plasma. The community is looking for ways to help people migrate to a version of KDE with a theme that makes it appear and function quite similarly to Windows 7.

1578659793893.png

These are the configurations that will make KDE mimic (not entirely though) Windows 7

• Plasma Theme: Seven Black
• Window Decorations: Seven Black
• Application Style: gtk2
• GTK Theme: Windows Se7en by Elbullazul
• Icons: Darkine
• Colors: Breeze Light
• Cursors: DMZ White
• Splash Screen: Feren OS
• Panel: 38 height
• Widgets: Default Apps Menu, I-O Task Manager, Stock System Tray, Feren Calendar or Event Calendar, Win7 Show Desktop

Take a look at the video here

If you are already on KDE - you can download plasma here:
https://kde.org/plasma-desktop

Only xfce comes closest to looking like windows. I have Xubuntu installed and kids from my building thought it was new version of Windows 10 :D

They were thinking how file explorer is all black since i had used a dark theme. Told them it's Linux and not Windows. I guess in school, only Windows is taught to children.

I don't know why these people want to mimic windows UI (just to attract windows users) - the KDE UI is pretty awesome and windows-like anyways and plenty of stuff (behaviours) can be customised in the settings. Most windows users are not going to download KDE and start installing custom themes and plugins, they should make it simpler for windows users to just install and run KDE with minimal effort.

One of my OS in multi boot on my PC is KDE Neon ( https://neon.kde.org ) and it is very good.

Then there are Adobe apps too. Also various obscure accounting software which prevent people from ditching Windows.

Also, to be fair, windows is awesome. I have been using Mac, Windows, and Linux, and I find windows to be the least painful of all for general use.

Adding printers in Mac is a proper pain. Even reasonably popular printers never work plug and play in Mac.

And for linux, like @6pack said, there's the office incompatibility. And integration of cloud drives is also not easy.

Adding to that is the adobe replacement issue, goddammnit why doesn't anyone comeup with a proper replacement for Acrobat?

And as far as hardware hotswappability is concerned, Windows will remain king, or so it seems. With Windows X, and arm support, it won't be a surprise if it comes to older mobile and tablet devices as well!

Last edited:
The UI is the last thing why people stick to windows. For anyone working, its all about applications, workflow, hardware being used for it and a load of other things. Windows UI is garbage and there are a whole heap of better UIs available in other operating systems.

Yes this is true After January 14, 2020 if you still have Windows 7 on your PC, it isn’t that you won’t be able to operate it. You will still be able to operate it, but you wouldn’t receive any free security patches for Microsoft. Apart from that Microsoft will also not provide for the following –
  • Any further software updates
  • Any upcoming security updates or fixes for any security and
  • Technical support for any kind of issues
Note - Please update your windows 7 to 10, How? click on it https://tweaklibrary.com/how-to-get-windows-10-update/

Nice video:

People will come to linux only when MS releases MSOffice for linux.
Possibilities are slim but given Microsoft’s recent inclination towards open source. This would be possible in future.
Also, office is now subscription based, I don’t see any harm for ms to not do it.

I can tell you the following, for example I have installed Ubuntu on SATA 3 SSD but it doesn't see it as SATA3, but as SSD yes, so there is still big problems with drivers persists anyway, maybe I should need to install something like for example video drivers first and with it driver for chipset.

These sort of problems take some how years to resolve. Which is why I find the mainstream OSes to be better.

After so many years, libre office can sometimes still be bloody painful to install. Throwing up the random 2503 error that has been documented since 2009 or even before!

As hard as I try to convince people to switch, one problem with the software and people are scrambling back to windows because there are no easy solutions, unless you are really ready for mucking about in the terminal.

I can tell you the following, for example I have installed Ubuntu on SATA 3 SSD but it doesn't see it as SATA3, but as SSD yes, so there is still big problems with drivers persists anyway, maybe I should need to install something like for example video drivers first and with it driver for chipset.

There are no drivers to install in linux like windows. Why? The linux kernel is built (compiled) with the drivers itself. The drivers may not ne the latest and support everything but they work well or better than windows drivers.
And most of these drivers are reverse hacked by people to support linux and not given by manufacturers themselves. So if I get a problem with any hardware, I blame the manufacturers for not supporting linux like they support windows.

As hard as I try to convince people to switch, one problem with the software and people are scrambling back to windows because there are no easy solutions, unless you are really ready for mucking about in the terminal.

Imagine if hardware and software in linux was much more supported than windows and people had such problems in windows with hardware having no windows drivers or software having no windows counterparts. Would people shout at microsoft or the hardware manufacturers then? Microsoft has put in a lot of money to make people and manufacturers dependent on them and follow them like a cult. Its easy to blame linux when its not the OS's fault.

People getting problem with linux os is because they think of it as windows when it is not windows. If they use linux with an open mind and as a diferent os and are ready to learn how linux works, then they would fare better.
Many people go on the back foot saying why should i learn anything new? Wasn't it that way when new ms office versions came out or new windows versions came out and you had to change how you worked?

There are no drivers to install in linux like windows. Why? The linux kernel is built (compiled) with the drivers itself. The drivers may not ne the latest and support everything but they work well or better tha.....

But that's not how things work. If it isn't smooth, it simply gets rejected, and if a thing has to survive, it has to mould itself to be wanted, not sit at a moral high ground.

I wish people were more sensible and open to learning, but we aren't. In one way or the other we aren't. Like letting Facebook have our data via WhatsApp or... you know the story.

Bottom line is a polished software gets used. VLC, MPCHC, Firefox, open and successful.

Back