Windows 7 freezes after a few minutes of booting up.

It's frustrating as hell.Windows 7 32-bitboots up normally.Then after probably 2-3 minutes, it just freezes.NOthing works, no mouse, no keyboard, internet is stuck.It doesn't even work if left idle for half an hour or so, like some other people experienced.Only option is to reboot and then the same story again.

I am runnwing windows 7 on intel GC945 chipset with 2GB ram, Nvidia 6200LE card and 3 hard drives of 500+80+250GB

Now, I googled a bit and found out 2 possible reasons.

1. Windows 7 sometimes had problems with hard drives of more than 500GB.

I have 500+250+80 Gb hdd.I disconnected my 500 gigger but the problem still persists.

2. Updating windows with latest updates has proved to be problematic.Some ppl removed some last few updates and this issue was solved.

Is that really true?In that case I dont know how to uninstall the last few updates.

3. Can I restore to a day when I hadn't updated windows even if there was no restoration point done then?

More so, I am not able to run disk defargmenter fyi.

The computer can run in safe mode.

All help would be appreciated.

run chkdsk in safe mode with repair option for your other partitions. then run for C (where windows 7 is installed). It will say cannot unmount start on startup, say yes. then restart the computer. It will then run chkdsk. Hopefully problem will be solved.

Nope.it doesn't work with instructions I followed in the link.even scroll key hung.I ahve made changes in the registry as instructed in the link.Where is the memory dump created?physical location?

anyone has any other advice?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ok. reinstalled with windows XP again.. but problem still persists.what the hell is going on?

Chkdsk shows 280 bad sectors .Can bad sectors freeze up the computer?

Technician says coz of the bad sector, system freezes.He has advised me to remove the 80gig HDD on which the windows is installed and install the windows on 250gig HDD.Basically never use the 80gig hdd again.

because of bad sectors the HDD will run in PIO mode, you can force it to run in DMA but it will create problems now and then. You should be better off changing the drive if its in warranty or buy a new HDD.

removed the 80gig drive which was supposedly creating the problem.Reinstalled windows XP on the 250 gig(0 bad sectors).Problem still persists.Sick and tired of this. :(

go to device managers, under IDE controllers check whether you are using DMA and not PIO or if DMA option is unchecked. ALso how much free space do you have on each partitions.

It can also be a CPU heating up or bad RAM problem as well. So you need to check them also incase.

option is "DMA if available". not PIO.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Took the computer to a technician.Virus, trojans were one of the rootcause I think.The root cause or a part of the root cause could also be heating up of the graphics card(Nvidia Geforce 6200LE).The capacitors were all bulged.

The system is not getting hung atleast for now.Touchwood :D

Have you yet thought about the RAM. Usually computer freezes happen due to bad RAM sticks.

Can you try changing the RAM or swapping the RAM sticks with a friend. Or, if you have 2x1GB, remove one stick at a time and see if the problem goes.

I suspect the problem to be the RAM. Give it a shot.

i think there can be Heating issues if not the PSU is the culprit nothing i can think of just check the temps n let us know which PSU ur using

Back