Windows 7 Problem??

antz123

Adept
I am using Windows 7 64Bit, with 6GB of RAM

However in my properties I see 6GB RAM installed with 4GB usable. 2gb is Hardware Reserved.

I have tried Maxmemory option in msiconfig too.

Plus BIOS shows all 3 sticks however it says 4gb as memory.

My config in my Signature. Read similar problem on google with no answers I have sent problem to Gigabyte too incase its a Mobo fault.

Have swapped sticks and DIMMs

Any ideas?

>>Plus BIOS shows all 3 sticks however it says 4gb as memory.

Which is not correct in general, it should report whole 6 GB. My BIOS reports 8 GB installed.

>>However in my properties I see 6GB RAM installed with 4GB usable. 2gb is Hardware Reserved.

In my win7 64 bit with 8 GB of RAM, it shows me whole 8 GB installed. Where did you checked this information that 2 gb is with hardware?

Start >> type msconfig in the Search box and press enter.

Click 'Boot' tab >> Click advanced options... >> Uncheck 'Number of Processors' and 'Maximum Memory'. >> OK >> OK

restart computer. That should solve the problem.

ravi - that option i tried. Maximum memory i put in as 6122 n restart it goes back old counter once again

adi - msinfo32 gives you those details. My computer>my properties is showing 2gb unused so i went to msinfo from there i found out

memtest86 also done no issues.

sorry i meant 6144..

plus it was unchecked already.... so i checked it raise to maximum with no result... then unchecked with no result

you also said that the bios is showing 4 gb, that should not happen. Check the manual as to how to setup the ram in the slots. I know it may sound noob but whats the harm. The bios should show 6 gb till that doesn't happen its not windows problem. Also use only 1 stick at a time on all the slots to see whether it is getting detected in all the slots. Then try the combination of 4 gb with all the rams i.e. Use ram 1 and ram 2, then use ram 1 and ram 3, and so on. If some combination shows 2 gb then there could be problem. Also i beleive you must have the latest bios.

prashant done that before posting....

strange part is BIOS has one entry for Total Memory that is showing 4gb. where as in DIMM slot readings for voltages etc it is detecting all the 3, now that was weird.

the problem is with the board or ram, os problem will only arise if the bios shows the correct value. have you tried restoring the bios to default/optimised value. reset the ram values to a lower clock.

you should take it to the dealer or try the ram in the same board or try a different set of ram. has gigabyte replied back?

yes boss ... BIOS optimised, safe defaults and also its upgraded

attaching an image which shows resource monitor and properties etc.

No Gigabyte not replies

Attachments

• Memory.jpg
    Memory.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 127
antz123 said:
yes boss ... BIOS optimised, safe defaults and also its upgraded

attaching an image which shows resource monitor and properties etc.

No Gigabyte not replies
Verified this on my computer and these are the details,

resource monitor,

Hardware reserved - 2 MB (yes I rechecked it, its 2 MB not GB)

Installed - 8192

Total - 8190

MSINFO32,

Installed is 8 and Total is 8 as well.

So there clearly exist some problem with your setup, Now as BIOS is also showing 4 GB, could it be a problem of a specific dimm or the socket. Obviously I expect you might already have checked this, but in case not, you may try with individual sticks on different sockets. Though I believe GB should better answer this.

If BIOS is showing total memory as 4GB, then one of your RAM chip or RAM slot may be faulty.

You should try all 3 RAM chip on different computer.

Hey but if Windows is able to see 6GB then the probability of failure at BIOS is less... Have you tried a different OS ? Say UBUNTU Live ???

i dont have another set up to check the rams, nor i have another set of rams to chk. anyways googling is still on. And strangely similar problem is there with many others. Strangely many problems with Gigabyte UD5 so hope it is not a mobo issue. would try n get new set of rams thanks.. anyways

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

if Windows was even seeing all 3 sticks with all voltages and frequency etc as the resource monitors and system info is showing , I was eliminating the faulty RAM option.

Are you sure the setup is correct? I've heard of cases where motherboards sometimes don't support certain combinations of RAM sticks (3 sticks aren't allowed for example), so one of the sticks is unusable. It can still show up, but it'll be marked as unusable.

it is an ddr3 mobo .... which have set of two set of 3 DIMMs. e.g. the dims are like 1|4 2|5 3|6. And manual clearly says to put in 4,5,6 in case of 3 Ram sticks.

So that is not a possibility

Back