Windows 7 'Unidentified network' error!

balashome

Disciple
Recently I setup my home desktop with Windows 7, plonked my new GTX 460 in it and hoped for it to respond to my beck and call. And it did - till I found out no amount of coaxing would allow it to identify the home network. I have a Airtel broadband connection.

And for the past week or so, I have tried out every suggestion out there to get rid of what appears to be one of the most dreaded errors from the time of Vista.

I have even gone out and bought a new NIC (Network interface card), Realtek 10/100. This too gives me the 'Unidentified network' error. I have even tried assigning static IPs to the connection. Still no luck.

Oh and the connection works as does the cable. I have connected this to my PS3 and I am able to browse without issues. And wireless with my laptop works fine as well.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If in a week or so, I am not able to fix this, I am seriously thinking of rolling back to Windows XP. Thats how bad this issue has been bugging me :(.

I've been using Windows 7 for the past 1.5 years now without any issues related to the network. Infact, it is the most effective when troubleshooting errors. :)

When you open Network and Sharing center, there must be cross mark between your computer and the 'internet'. Did you click on that and try to troubleshoot? What result does that give? Leave the adapter settings to automatic when trying this.

Screenshot of your issue would be more helpful! :)

Off late, this has been happening to me too.

I have a workaround if you are willing to try every time you restart the system :

- Right click the Network icon on the system tray.

- Select "Open Network and Sharing center"

- There, you will see two networks namely, Network (Home Network) and Unidentified Network and right in front of them will be their respective local area connections.

- You will have to click on the Local Area Connection for the Unidentified Network.

- You will now see Local Area Connection status, click on Properties.***

- Uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IP) and Version 4 (TCP/IP)

- Click on OK and come back to the "Open Network and Sharing center"

- At this point your internet will look as if its disconnected, but all you have to do is click on the red cross which will be between Network and Internet or right click on Network icon on the system try and click on Troubleshoot problems.

- Basically, you just need to uncheck two options under the Local Area Connection for the Unidentified Network and let the actual network connection function.

Let me know if you got this right, you can pm me or come one teamviewer so that i can have a look.

*** Dont touch the first connection. Only do this if you see two connections and that the 2nd one is Unidentified network.

I am at work now, but Anish your suggestion sounds interesting. I dont exactly recall if I saw two such network entries there. I think I just saw the Unidentified network there. Well now there are going to be two of them as I have got the new NIC as well.

Sei - yes I have done that - thanks.

Krishnandu - I have 3 machines at home. My work laptop, my linux box and this one which is the HTPC cum Gaming PC. The router is functioning well with the other two machines. So, I am not sure if its OK to change anything at the router level. But if there is no other choice, I guess this has to be tried. I would just like to try everything from the Windows 7 point of view before going to the router. Does that make sense? Thanks for the suggestion.

Prashantrana - I have also tried manually assigning static IP address but this still does not work. I dont recall using the DNS values that you have given though. Let me give it a try later on today and report back.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

By the way, I was one of those who was strongly against Vista. Did not ever use or install it. I expected better from Windows 7 and so far I have been pretty frustrated with this network issue. The performance though is not bad at all. Looking through the net, this error seems to be fairly common and MS does not seem to have a fix for this. Is that not concerning?!

balashome said:
Krishnandu - I have 3 machines at home. My work laptop, my linux box and this one which is the HTPC cum Gaming PC. The router is functioning well with the other two machines. So, I am not sure if its OK to change anything at the router level. But if there is no other choice, I guess this has to be tried. I would just like to try everything from the Windows 7 point of view before going to the router. Does that make sense? Thanks for the suggestion.

I suggested this because configuring the Router to PPPoE makes everything easy after that. Because you won't need to do anything on any device that you connect. Your Router will automatically dial the Internet. And you'll be getting internet on each and every device that are simply connected to the Router.

balashome said:
Recently I setup my home desktop with Windows 7, plonked my new GTX 460 in it and hoped for it to respond to my beck and call. And it did - till I found out no amount of coaxing would allow it to identify the home network. I have a Airtel broadband connection.

And for the past week or so, I have tried out every suggestion out there to get rid of what appears to be one of the most dreaded errors from the time of Vista.

I have even gone out and bought a new NIC (Network interface card), Realtek 10/100. This too gives me the 'Unidentified network' error. I have even tried assigning static IPs to the connection. Still no luck.

Oh and the connection works as does the cable. I have connected this to my PS3 and I am able to browse without issues. And wireless with my laptop works fine as well.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If in a week or so, I am not able to fix this, I am seriously thinking of rolling back to Windows XP. Thats how bad this issue has been bugging me :(.
Try one more thing. Rename your adapter, which must be "Local Area Connection" to something else. Like Internet or something. This resolved a similar problem here in office too. :p

OK guys - the modem is in PPPoe mode already. Always was, apparently.

Anish I dont see two networks. I just see two network interfaces. No matter which one I use I see the same 'Unidentified network'. And Sei - I have renamed my adaptor. No luck!

I am almost out of options and patience guys. Any thoughts or ideas?

Do check the Event Viewer for any error or waring messages. Post them here if you find any.
Also check that the Windows Firewall service is started (services.msc).

Another issue could be that you have VMWare installed. (ver 6 in compatibility mode)

No, I do not have iTunes or Photoshop installed.

My ipconfig just shows the static IP I have assigned. Nothing very unique about it.

Please guys - need some help here. Should I do a reinstall of Windows 7? Will that help? Or is it time to go back to XP?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I do not have VMWare installed. I thought it would help if Windows Firewall is turned off. I tried that as well as leaving it on. Does not seem to make a difference. Yesterday I was playing around with home groups. I got it to leave the Public homegroup in which my computer was there and got it to join the Home homegroup. Did not make a difference again.

balashome said:
OK guys - the modem is in PPPoe mode already. Always was, apparently.

Anish I dont see two networks. I just see two network interfaces. No matter which one I use I see the same 'Unidentified network'. And Sei - I have renamed my adaptor. No luck!

I am almost out of options and patience guys. Any thoughts or ideas?
Then provide the username password there in your modem to dial the internet automatically when it turns on.

KingKrool said:
Do you have itunes installed by any chance?

Can you post the output of ipconfig
+1 Do as he said.

^ Like he said. Post an output of ipconfig. And you still haven't provided screenshots. Please post some of your device manager, network and sharing center and of your adapter IPv4 settings dialog.

Same Problem with my Laptop:

Network Adapter: Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
Internet Provider: Airtel

IPv4 Settings:
IP: 192.168.1.2
SUB NET Mask: 255.255.255.0
IP Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS Server 1: 203.145.184.13
DNS Server 2: 203.145.184.32
(DNSs Given by the airtel customer care)

ipconfig in command prompt:
21cz7ev.jpg

Network Devices:
s1q97l.jpg

Kindly advice accordingly, waiting for the answer

I also sometimes get this problem and it is very frustrating :mad:, restarting the modem is the only way I can cure this. Sometimes my network is identified but it says no internet connection when infact I can use my internet from the WLAN of my laptop

In Event viewer I get an error "dhcp-client", The error is :

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x00306712774A. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

There are many such errors at regular intervals of time in my event viewer

The thing is that my adapter is named "Local Area Connection 3" and Im not able to remove the 3 from the name, it says that I already have used that name on some other network adapter but i do not have any other network adapter :(

Back