Budget 10-15K Windows or Android Phone within 15k

pradeep200417

Shunya
Adept
Hi,
Since my 3 years old Nokia N8 screen has given up on me, I have decided to buy a new phone.
Main expectations from the phone are lag free usage, great battery life, good camera performance.
Would not be using much applications as I have my Nexus 7 2013 LTE version for applications.
Also would like the Phone to get the latest Software updates when applicable.
1. Budget?
A: 10- 15 K (can extend slightly)
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: TFT
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Nokia, Sony, Samsung, HTC, ASUS...
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Must be good for photography and may be for video recording too.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Windows or Android
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G, Wifi, Edge and 4G if possible
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, Whatsapp and occasional browsing.
10. Any other requirements?
A: Need the screen size to be under 5". I don't like huge screen phones
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Nokia 525, Lumia 720, Sony Xperia SP

PS: I have heard that there might be a Lumia 720 successor. Lumia 730 or something. Lumia 720 looks perfect for needs actually. My only worry being, would it receive future Windows updates?
I had bought a Lumia 525 for my mother the last week.[DOUBLEPOST=1404187162][/DOUBLEPOST]Any suggestions guys?

Last edited:
I think given your budget Nokia would suit ur requirements. As you already said Nokia Lumia 720 is the phone to go. You might have to be contend with some sacrifices. Android's main USP is apps. But their hardware requirements are way to high to give a breeze experience(seems to be somewhat resolved after Kitkat). About 730 well it depends when would they launch.
With 1GB somewhat becoming a norm, its better to invest in 1GB rather than 512MB.

I think given your budget Nokia would suit ur requirements. As you already said Nokia Lumia 720 is the phone to go. You might have to be contend with some sacrifices. Android's main USP is apps. But their hardware requirements are way to high to give a breeze experience(seems to be somewhat resolved after Kitkat). About 730 well it depends when would they launch.
With 1GB somewhat becoming a norm, its better to invest in 1GB rather than 512MB.
I already own a Nexus 7 2013 32Gb LTE version. So I am not bothered about android apps. I have an iPod Touch 4G for iOS apps. :D
My only requirement is Good battery life, Good Camera and Lag Free UI, with guaranteed OS updates for next 2-3 years. I would need whatsapp and would browse occasionally, as I usually browse on my N7.
Hence I am a bit of a doubt with Lumia 720. Would it get all the Future Windows Updates?
Also the 512 Mb ram was a concern, but then a lot of them said that 99% of the applications don't have high ram requirements, at least the ones which I use.
This is the same reason I got my Mom a Lumia 525 instead of Lumia 520.
I can wait for a month or two if they launch its successor. Its time they launch 720 successor. :([DOUBLEPOST=1404299735][/DOUBLEPOST]How is the Xperia SP camera quality and battery life? Would it get Updates after Kitkat?

Last edited:
Microsoft has said that they would give WP8 all possible updates. So, you should get all WP8 updates barring WP9, since I dont think that will happen. Still, with Cortana, WP is going to explode, IMO.

I already own a Nexus 7 2013 32Gb LTE version. So I am not bothered about android apps. I have an iPod Touch 4G for iOS apps. :D
My only requirement is Good battery life, Good Camera and Lag Free UI, with guaranteed OS updates for next 2-3 years. I would need whatsapp and would browse occasionally, as I usually browse on my N7.
Hence I am a bit of a doubt with Lumia 720. Would it get all the Future Windows Updates?
Also the 512 Mb ram was a concern, but then a lot of them said that 99% of the applications don't have high ram requirements, at least the ones which I use.
This is the same reason I got my Mom a Lumia 525 instead of Lumia 520.
I can wait for a month or two if they launch its successor. Its time they launch 720 successor. :([DOUBLEPOST=1404299735][/DOUBLEPOST]How is the Xperia SP camera quality and battery life? Would it get Updates after Kitkat?

With most Android fones being battery hogers, providing Super Amoled and what not, I don't see major battery life with any of the Android phones. I am telling this with my personal experience with SGS II and Galaxy Tab2. It would more or less be the same with Sony as both are know to delay their launch of updates so I would keep my eyes open. Your first three requirements would be easily met from Nokia(least demanding on resources) while no company can guarantee you 2-3 year official updates since the software life cycles have to change with times so it may happen that your phone may become obsolete in 1.5-2 years. If I were you, given your criteria I would stick with Nokia as rise of Android is plateauing.

Regarding 730, you definitely need someone inside Nokia to leak info about the same. Even I am looking for an upgrade to Nokia but budget is tight.
Some personal experience with Sony-- Good Cam> poor battery>least/nil on the updates.

Get Lumia 525, the cheapest retail set wihin 15k. Otherwisr you could import a lumia 920(14k)
+1 to 920. From where did you get that price. At such a quote its a steal.

I
I don't want to dampen the spirits but past analysis show that Nokia would never provide you with all the goodies needed for a long-term phone in a single-phone. If it comes close it is priced very high forcing you to postpone your plans till price drops. I sincerely hope Nokia understands people's aspirations..
Its a mid range phone. I don't have expectation of a flagship phone from it.[DOUBLEPOST=1404453656][/DOUBLEPOST]21700 for Lumia 925 with discount coupon.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Nokia-Lumia-...96368?pt=IN_Mobile_Phones&hash=item4ad5ca79d0
Is this a good deal? Does the seller and product look genuine?

Last edited:
I am having lot of issues with connecting to 3g right now.
My old Nokia N8 and Google Nexus 7 easily connects to 3g and we can force it to connect to 3g.
But then in Lumia 925, even if I select 3G as the highest connection, it still connects to 2g edge. :(
I had updated to Black yest.
Anyone else facing the same issue?

Back