Windows Vista did not steal ideas from Mac OS X!


Dark Star

Well-Known Member
ex-Mod
May 7, 2006
7,075
493
227
Enough of this non-sense .. Does it make sense.. Vista got doomed .. :p and its MS strategy of jabbering around about their work which they really did not :p Vista stole ideas cause the effects were pretty same as of Mac :p so as the interface :p
 

Party Monger

Well-Known Member
Veteran
Jul 15, 2007
4,550
935
201
^ What rubbish,,, Its mac who copied from vista,, theres soo much evidence,,,

And who said vista is doomed???
All the people here playing soo many vista exclusive games, use vista, enjoy those games, the interface the stablity,, alls well, then y doomed??

And every operating system in the begining receives flak,,, it takes time to mature,,, even xp was said to be rubbish and people wanted a second edition to 98 then???

And for gods sake stop the copying debate,,,unless u r bill gates or steve jobs, u'l never know..

Talk abt who implemented it better..:D
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 person

Pat

Well-Known Member
Adept
Oct 11, 2007
2,001
123
152
35
Mumbai
www.inspeero.com
Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion..IMO, vista has been a big failure,commercially..Having said that I have been using it without any glaring problem since some time now..But hey,so does my Ubuntu! I dont see why anyone should pay so much when you can get your work done using Ubuntu!

IMHO:

Anyone into gaming ----------> Stick to XP

Anyone into development --------> Maybe XP/Vista (Not too sure)

For people who just casually browse the net and use it for multimedia purposes ----------> Opt for Ubuntu
 

tracerbullet

Well-Known Member
Adept
Jul 4, 2005
1,234
37
112
37
Mumbai
Party Monger said:
^ What rubbish,,, Its mac who copied from vista,, theres soo much evidence,,,
please provide (evidence). I'm eager to know just how profound your knowledge is.
 

YoGi-Sama

Well-Known Member
Adept
Jul 14, 2007
2,203
151
152
40
City of Blinding Lights
yogi.eyeris.in
YEHHH.... let the flame wars begin... fanbois, FIGHT !!

( I'm on Mac camp.. just so you know.. :D )

Apart from that.... this David Pogue video is so old and everyone knows that he's being hell of sarcastic there on Vista. Alas.. kids from SMS and short-words age won't understand the beauty of expressions (mostly used in 20th century to express one's opinion).
 

Anish

Well-Known Member
Adept
May 9, 2005
6,589
107
202
30
Goa, India.
www.anishsood.com
Btw how many of you here actually know that both Jobs and Gates ripped DOS off a small-time programmer and Gates ripped off the Windows 3.1 interface from Jobs' first Apple (When he introduced GUI for the first time on a DOS platform) on the pretext of developing applications for him, but release Windows 3.1 before Jobs could get his OS out and running :rofl:
 

KingKrool

New Member
Adept
Mar 16, 2005
3,556
71
0
Gates ripped DOS off a small-time programmer
Well, you've just revealed that you fall for whatever you read on the net. Microsoft bought DOS from another company (I think they bought the whole company) and the guy who created it became a Microsoft employee.

Would you say that Google ripped off the youutube creators? Or perhaps they ripped off picasa? Or maybe they ripped off writely?

As for Vista copying Mac or vice versa, its pretty well known that many Vista features were revealed long before they were announced in OSX. On the other hand, the full fledged implementation in OSX was out before Vista. So it is hard to say who did what. The truth is there are many ideas in computer science that are developed independently by different people at the same time.
 

Party Monger

Well-Known Member
Veteran
Jul 15, 2007
4,550
935
201
KingKrool said:
As for Vista copying Mac or vice versa, its pretty well known that many Vista features were revealed long before they were announced in OSX. On the other hand, the full fledged implementation in OSX was out before Vista. So it is hard to say who did what. The truth is there are many ideas in computer science that are developed independently by different people at the same time.
EXactly..:cool2:

Integrated search

When Microsoft first legitimized operating system based integrated desktop search back in 2003, it sounded like such a great idea that Apple jumpstarted its own efforts and was able to rush Spotlight to market as part of Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" in 2005, a full year and a half before Vista. Too, companies like Google started shipping desktop search products to capitalize on Microsoft's tardy operating system and the huge installed base of XP users. That's what happens when you broadcast your plans and then don't follow through quickly, I guess.
Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Five Great Features in Windows Vista RC1
Heres one..

i've read abt many others too...like SPACES copied from linux, Time machine from vista's previous version..

n many more..
And again i repeat..It not who copied the feature..Its who IMPLEMENTED them better..N independent reviews show that Vista does it better..
N im not interested in any flame wars,,,u guys enjoy that,,,:bleh:

Also, Im no Vista Fanboy,, jus to quote an instance, Im downloaing leo jus as i type this...
 

Party Monger

Well-Known Member
Veteran
Jul 15, 2007
4,550
935
201
Anish said:
Btw how many of you here actually know that both Jobs and Gates ripped DOS off a small-time programmer and Gates ripped off the Windows 3.1 interface from Jobs' first Apple (When he introduced GUI for the first time on a DOS platform) on the pretext of developing applications for him, but release Windows 3.1 before Jobs could get his OS out and running :rofl:
LMAO:rofl:
 

Party Monger

Well-Known Member
Veteran
Jul 15, 2007
4,550
935
201
iGo said:
Alas.. kids from SMS and short-words age won't understand the beauty of expressions (mostly used in 20th century to express one's opinion).
Well u can understand wats written in sms language then it hardly matters..
besides,,DOnt even get me started on ExPrEssIONs:love: I too have used those expressions,,,My girlfriend loves dem..:rofl::rofl:
N guess wat?? i send them trough sms..
ok bad joke..:hap5:
 

H@rsh

Well-Known Member
Adept
Mar 18, 2006
655
22
82
35
Party Monger said:
.........Also, Im no Vista Fanboy,, jus to quote an instance, Im downloaing leo jus as i type this...
which one are you downloading?
 

saumilsingh

Well-Known Member
Adept
Mar 17, 2005
3,329
161
153
Doesn't really matter who ripped off the GUI idea from whom because ultimately everyone just stole it from Xerox.

What matters is who did it better and - even though a bit cluttered - Windows handles it better than Macs way of having a single taskbar that gets hijacked by whatever program is running.
 

KingKrool

New Member
Adept
Mar 16, 2005
3,556
71
0
I like Apple's idea of simplicity, but you are right. That taskbar hijacking is a major pain. Half of the time I can't figure out how to quit an application thanks to it.... and then you can't log out unless you manually close it (no option to force quit).
 

Anish

Well-Known Member
Adept
May 9, 2005
6,589
107
202
30
Goa, India.
www.anishsood.com
KingKrool said:
Well, you've just revealed that you fall for whatever you read on the net. Microsoft bought DOS from another company (I think they bought the whole company) and the guy who created it became a Microsoft employee.
Ahem, I never read that off the net, I just watched a slideshow that my uncle gave me which was played at some Silicon Valley A-Grade conference in which Gates and Hobs were both present and had a good laugh about it. Oh and it isn't a rip-off cause my uncle attended that conference.

As for buying DOS, well they paid them peanuts compared to what they earned back from Windows. And its sad that the actual inventor of DOS (Who apparently joined MS), never knew the value of DOS and Gates & Co, convinced him its a worthless piece of crap.

Party Monger said:
LMAO:rofl:
And what are you so happy about?