Windows Vista did not steal ideas from Mac OS X!

That video was supposed to be a funny sarcastic clip about Vista where the Mac fanboi is making fun of it. But whats more funnier is the way this thread is taking the course with its OT :rofl:

OT:

saumilsingh said:
Doesn't really matter who ripped off the GUI idea from whom because ultimately everyone just stole it from Xerox.

Thats not completely true. Xerox's venture capital arm was wetting itself all over in a hurry to invest in Apple leading to the forging of a deal - "Xerox would be allowed to invest $1.05 million in Apple's private stock sale and, in return, it would allow Apple full access to PARC's technology." No technology was transferred as a matter of fact and Apple were just given a prompt demonstration of SmallTalk's potential at Palo Alto. And when the partnership broke off, Apple's chief programmer, Bill Atkinson, had to start from the core, the development of the legendary GUI.

I happened to come across this masterpiece by Waldrop a few days back, which states that the desktop computing idea had already been spawned around early 60's and not when its normally believed to be, ie. almost a decade later.

Amazon.com: The Dream Machine: J.C.R. Licklider and the Revolution That Made Computing Personal: Books: M. Mitchell Waldrop

Let's put it this way - the idea of having a GUI (and a lot of PC related things) came from PARC. Apple had to make their GUI themselves, no doubt.

Party Monger said:
10.5 TOH rc2 sse2/sse3 intel only
U know any better one?
its 4.37gb..
jus wanna try..
If you have a core based (SSE3) processor you might want to try the 'Brazilmac DVD + EFI + Vanilla kernel' install method. I think it's worth a shot. ToH has it's set of issues.

Code:
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=72493

I am also downloading the Brazilmac disk as i type.

This who-copied-whom argument can and will go on endlessly and there's no point to it, really. PC users have their own reasons why they use Windows and Mac guys will always love their macs. Even if a feature's been badly implemented on either, it doesn't matter after the initial learning curve required. Then once you're used to doing things in a certain way, it's easier to continue doing them that way than having to reorient yourself all over again with a new operating system.

Now after that spiel, allow me to shoot myself in the foot :p Last night, I smacked the living daylights out of my Vista installation. I formatted its partition and utterly erased its memory from my computer's mind. Here's why:

1. It couldn't game smoothly on it. This is after having installed the latest drivers for everything. And note, my system is rather decently configured.

2. It was laggy as hell and I'd constantly get errors out of the blue (pun unintended) with system processes like svchost constantly utilising 50% of the processor's resources. I had to then forcefully disable malfunctioning services. Note that I had all Windows updates installed.

3. Its Windows Side by Side feature is the biggest piece of bloatware to have hit humanity. My Winsxs folder in Windows has eaten over 5GB of my hard drive's space with pointless dll and whatnot backups.

4. I tried a reinstall, but after a couple of weeks, Vista went back to its stubborn state.

5. XP at the moment does everything better. Well not everything but whatever's currently required by me.

H@rsh said:
If you have a core based (SSE3) processor you might want to try the 'Brazilmac DVD + EFI + Vanilla kernel' install method. I think it's worth a shot. ToH has it's set of issues.
Code:
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=72493
I am also downloading the Brazilmac disk as i type.
Doesnt it seem way complicated??,,,i'm downloadin dis cause its pretty easy and a good success rate,,
Hope it runs well on my vostro lappy..
Wats the size of brazil mac??
TOH one is 4.3 something...already downloaded 2gb...

Back