CPU/Mobo With dirty trade practises, how Intel sabotaged AMD

^^ And why would it? Helping your competitors survive by buying their unsold product of the market does not constitute anti-competition. Loosing competition is may be good for the business, but loosing competitors is bad. There are number of situations where market leaders helped their competition survive. Apple too would have died by 1997 if Microsoft did not pump money into them.

^Because of antitrust laws that are in place to prevent market dominance and monopolies.
If it was allowed at all they would've already been bought out ages back, AMD share prices have been in the dumps for years now.

^^ I am not talking about "stock" as in their shares. Read my post again. I am talking about buying out unsold product in the market so as to pump some money to keep them live. AMD seems to have a habit of manufacturing too little of what they can sell well and too much of what they couldn't.

Why would Intel buy their shares and eliminate their competition and invite themselves to be broken down.

Which doesn't make even more sense, why would Intel buy sub-par AMD processors lol ?
If zen fails to be competitive AMD will tank further at which point someone like Qualcomm or Samsung will pick it up for cheap.
Only question being whether the x86 license will be allowed to be carried over to the new owners.

Which doesn't make even more sense, why would Intel buy sub-par AMD processors lol ?
If zen fails to be competitive AMD will tank further at which point someone like Qualcomm or Samsung will pick it up for cheap.
Only question being whether the x86 license will be allowed to be carried over to the new owners.
Nope, intel won't allow it, can you imagine what would happen if Samsung or IBM got x86 license?

IBM was the one which forced Intel to give a x86 license to AMD as they wanted there to be two suppliers for x86 chips. In any case, AMD's license does not seem to be easily transferable.

AMD-Next-Generation-GCN-GPU-2016-635x357.jpg

There is hope for AMD, Private. :D

Intel had better marketing back in the day that's why the pentium outsold the original athlons despite the latter being better and cheaper.
as for the fx line, that was amd's fault w.r.t. the cmt architecture. they knew the chip was facing issues due to the shared integer unit but released it anyway.
however, from what i hear, zen's claimed 40% bump in ipc (not counting the benefits of the lower production node) is on track and the chip/architecture (not sure of the exact wording here) isn't facing any major performance issues.
I'm pretty sure amd will come back to performance parity with zen.

AMD has plenty of problems to overcome, money and foundry are two of them. I really wish they would make a comeback. Intel is the most pathetic company out there. I bought a 2600k, the mobo has died, it's not a very old CPU, but intel refreshes the socket every year as to make sure older processors are made obsolete. The 2600k I have is still one of the fastest processors out there but soon I won't be able to buy new motherboards to support it.

Yup, they are minting money. I too have a 2500k and wanted to get a new board, but could not find anything. Moving to a newer platform is pointless atm as its way too expensive and I will hardly gain anything.

Any news of the zen ? Last I heard there were delays.

i bought a used 2600k from another te member here. i found cheap mobos for it off ebays geb site. i got a manufacturer refurbished ecs p67 black edition for just under 5k.
the 2 downsides are that it takes a while (2-3 weeks) to get here and there's no manufacturer warranty.
very happy with it though as it's been nearly 5 months and the only issue i faced was finding an extraneous raid driver that wasn't on the company site. (only bothered with it to get rid of the annoying driver missing balloon pop-up)
also, don't throw out any sandy bride cpu ever. they used an internal heat spreader and really good quality silicon in it's manufacture so those chips are good overclockers and should be able to survive a good amount of thrashing. in fact, i plan on doing some experimenting with the 2600k after it gets replaced (which i don't see happening for another 2 yrs min. they're so good.)
i'm generally pro amd but good engineering is appreciated no matter where it comes from.

Last edited:
Back