Budget 90k+ Workstation build. Advice Needed.

paperboat

Recruit
Hi guys, I'm new here and look forward to having a good time. I'll be straight to the point. Here's the build I'm going for and some questions I have in mind(asked at the end). Any answers and advice are highly appreciated. Thank you.

CPU : AMD Ryzen 1700X (29500)
MOTHERBOARD : ASUS PRIME B350 PLUS (8200)
GRAPHIC CARD : MSI 1060 6GB OC (26000)
MEMORY : CORSAIR VENGEANCE 16GB DDR4 3000MHz (9800)
STORAGE: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500 GB (14000) + Existing storage
COOLER : Cooler Master Hyper 212 (3000)
CASE : NZXT S340 (6500)
POWER SUPPLY : CORSAIR CX600 (5400)

ESTIMATED TOTAL - INR 1,03,000

Intended Use : Mainly sound design & audio programs, Image and video editing. Would like to venture into 3D if time permits. I have an external audio interface so won't be needing an internal sound card.

Questions:

RAM Issues : I've read about some people running into issues with RAMs of higher speeds(3000+) when used with Ryzens and that they officially only support speeds upto 2666 MHz. I'd like to stay VERY SAFE. I prefer a marginal lower performance any day than having to face issues. What are your thoughts?

Where to buy : Like anyone else I would like to save money, I'm going for an expensive build only cause good performance would help with productivity. I'm not rich. Can you suggest any places where I could get the components at better prices/rebates? Ideally I'd like to buy all the components and get them assembled at the store itself. Although I'm confident about assembling a PC on my own, I have a phobia of receiving bad components. What do you suggest? (Note: I have friends in most major cities so Im open to anything)

PSU : Calculated power usage for the above components is barely touching 400W. Is 600W an overkill or would 500W do too?

Again, any advice is highly appreciated. Thank you!

I have a couple of suggestions-

Go with the 1700 instead of the X model as for the price difference of 5k the 1700 is more VFM.

Invest the 5k in two places-

1)Instead of the Hyper 212 get a water cooler.

https://www.mdcomputers.in/cooling-...-masterliquid-lite-120-mlw-d12m-a20pw-r1.html

I have a Hyper 212 myself and installing a tower cooler or worse yet taking it off and reinstalling in case of a processor upgrade is a major PITA

2) The Corsair CX600 is not as good as the Seasonic OEM PSU's that Corsair rebranded and built its brand name on.
Get a Seasonic S12 550 W as its a 80+ Gold and the CX600 is Bronze only.

I have a Corsair VX550v2 and it has been running with 0 issues since 2010 with an i5 4460,GTX 1070,2 SSDs and 1 HDD and its a 80+ Gold unit made by Seasonic

https://www.mdcomputers.in/80-gold/seasonic-550-watt-80-plus-gold-ssr-550rt.html

3) Third and a very minor nitpicking on my end but as per internet user feedback the Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 is suggested to be the best VFM board but it might be a bit hard to find locally as this thing is selling like hot cakes.But most users here e.g. @vishalrao have the Prime B350 and it seems to be working out well for them albeit the 3200 MHz RAM issue which is the one thing I am holding off on my Ryzen build for now

https://www.mdcomputers.in/amd-platform/gigabyte-ga-ab350m-gaming-3-rev-1-0.html[DOUBLEPOST=1501441512][/DOUBLEPOST]I have a question though since you want to save some more.

Do you really need 500 GB SSD since you have other storage.You can save 6k there by going with a 250 GB unit.

Other than the proccy the most expensive component is the GPU and since you will not be gaming and most doing video stuff do you really need that firepower?

Again I am not very conversant on media stuff so I would like to know how you locked on to a 1060?

Last edited:
Hey Marcus, thanks a lot for all the suggestions. Thanks to you too Technavneet.

I'll try to go with Seasonic S12550, hope I find one. With regards to liquid cooling, I know things can't go wrong if I do everything right but I just have this fear at the back of my head, of liquid leaking some day and ruining my components, just can't afford it. But I'll keep in mind what you've said about the PITA that comes with air cooling too. Will pick the best option available for me at the time of purchase. Same with the motherboard.

Processor: Thanks for the feedback again, I've been thinking about it. May be I'll mostly go with 1700 unless I feel like I can spend the extra 5K. I won't be overclocking, so I may gain a little performace. Again, not much like you pointed out.

Storage: I'm going with the 500GB SSD cause a couple of the audio programs that I use are quite heavy. They are sample-based(high quality recordings), like Native-Instruments Komplete, alone takes up close to 180GB. Need a few graphics programs installed and running on the SSD too.

Graphic card: I'm in a dilemma. Though programs like Aftereffects and such have slowly started making use of GPU acceleration for faster render times, a 1050 would do the job too. They do not yet make good use of stronger graphic cards. This will change with time though. But it's different if I get into 3D, a 1060 can definitely help me better. Will decide on this at the time of purchase too mostly, hope the prices of 1060s come back all the way down.

QUESTION : I do not completely understand the RAM compatibility issues. Is it something I am to be bothered about if I buy a RAM with high speed rating? Will my motherboard automatically run it at lower speeds if it can't run at higher speeds? How can I get the best of my RAM? whichever I buy. Thanks.

Hey Marcus, thanks a lot for all the suggestions. Thanks to you too Technavneet.

I'll try to go with Seasonic S12550, hope I find one. With regards to liquid cooling, I know things can't go wrong if I do everything right but I just have this fear at the back of my head, of liquid leaking some day and ruining my components, just can't afford it. But I'll keep in mind what you've said about the PITA that comes with air cooling too. Will pick the best option available for me at the time of purchase. Same with the motherboard.

Processor: Thanks for the feedback again, I've been thinking about it. May be I'll mostly go with 1700 unless I feel like I can spend the extra 5K. I won't be overclocking, so I may gain a little performace. Again, not much like you pointed out.

Storage: I'm going with the 500GB SSD cause a couple of the audio programs that I use are quite heavy. They are sample-based(high quality recordings), like Native-Instruments Komplete, alone takes up close to 180GB. Need a few graphics programs installed and running on the SSD too.

Graphic card: I'm in a dilemma. Though programs like Aftereffects and such have slowly started making use of GPU acceleration for faster render times, a 1050 would do the job too. They do not yet make good use of stronger graphic cards. This will change with time though. But it's different if I get into 3D, a 1060 can definitely help me better. Will decide on this at the time of purchase too mostly, hope the prices of 1060s come back all the way down.

QUESTION : I do not completely understand the RAM compatibility issues. Is it something I am to be bothered about if I buy a RAM with high speed rating? Will my motherboard automatically run it at lower speeds if it can't run at higher speeds? How can I get the best of my RAM? whichever I buy. Thanks.

The RAM you have shortlisted will run for now at 2133 MHz without any worries.You might need to depend on BIOS updates for enabling the full speed down the line.

As to the graphics card the 1060 is at par with the 980 but I would suggest you to go with what you think is best as you know more about media.But 1060 price won't decrease much until the new gen comes out though

Back