Workstation in 50 K suggestions please

fiazio

Disciple
Hello,
I'm not much into computer hardware, but here are the requirements:
1> Workstation apps to be used: After Effects[hd video editing], photoshop, pro tools, and other media applications.
2> Rarely to be used for gaming, graphic card limit 5500 INR
3> On time is 24/7
4> Not going to be over clocked.

I'm confused between the i7 920 and the amd phenom II x4 965 if i'm correct.

Please suggest me a complete config in 50 K

Thanks

Re: Workstation in 50 K suggestions please :

If After Effects (Video Encoding) and Pro Tools are your top priorities, go for Core i7 920 with your eyes closed, get a good X58 board and good memory with tighter timings at stock speed (CL6 or CL7).

Unfortunately I'm in sync with current prices on i7 boards or other components, so I'll let other users provide you with proper config with costs.

Thanks for getting back,

Would a intel x58 suffice? its priced 10.5 k Pune

iGo said:
If After Effects (Video Encoding) and Pro Tools are your top priorities, go for Core i7 920 with your eyes closed, get a good X58 board and good memory with tighter timings at stock speed (CL6 or CL7).

Unfortunately I'm in sync with current prices on i7 boards or other components, so I'll let other users provide you with proper config with costs.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Please stop cross linking to your thread from every post you make. You are only managing to antagonize people from posting in your thread..

Proccy+mobo: Intel Core i7 920 + MSI X58-Pro-E - 25000 http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/new-deals-holi-intel-amd-combos-160587.html
RAM - 6GB(2+2+2) Kingston 1333MHz DDR3 RAM - 6600 http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/master-price-list-hdd-cpu-gpu-159893.html
HDD- 500GB WD Blue - 2350 http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/internal-external-hard-disks-best-prices-159965.html
Cabinet - CM Elite 310 - 1550
SMPS - Corsair CX400 - 2800
Monitor - Benq G2220HD - 7750
GPU - MSI 512MB DDR2 HD4650 - 3100
Keyboard+ Mouse- Logitech MMKB Combo - 700
Speakers- Altec Lansing 2.1 BXR1121 - 1100

Total: Rs. 50,850/-

These are Delhi and Mumbai prices. Prices may vary slightly at your location.

DarkAngel said:
Proccy+mobo: Intel Core i7 920 + MSI X58-Pro-E - 25000 http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/new-deals-holi-intel-amd-combos-160587.html
RAM - 6GB(2+2+2) Kingston 1333MHz DDR3 RAM - 6600 http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/master-price-list-hdd-cpu-gpu-159893.html
HDD- 500GB WD Blue - 2350 http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/internal-external-hard-disks-best-prices-159965.html
Cabinet - CM Elite 310 - 1550
SMPS - Corsair CX400 - 2800
Monitor - Benq G2220HD - 7750
GPU - MSI 512MB DDR2 HD4650 - 3100
Keyboard+ Mouse- Logitech MMKB Combo - 700
Speakers- Altec Lansing 2.1 BXR1121 - 1100

Total: Rs. 50,850/-

These are Delhi and Mumbai prices. Prices may vary slightly at your location.

THanks for that, but I've shifted to amd, here's what i have in mind

cpu: amd phenom x4 965 be: 9600
mobo: Gigabyte xta-ud4: 10000
gpu: not sure
ram: not decided
psu: corsair 550 or cm 600
hdd: 1> 500 gb 16 mb 2> 500 gb 64 mb (seagate/wd)
cab: cm elite 310 if i get it in Pune.

I'm planning to go Mumbai to get some of the stuff i don't get here, could you suggest me a place where i can get most of the stuff.
Thanks

fiazio said:
THanks for that, but I've shifted to amd, here's what i have in mind

cpu: amd phenom x4 965 be: 9600

mobo: Gigabyte xta-ud4: 10000

gpu: not sure

ram: not decided

psu: corsair 550 or cm 600

hdd: 1> 500 gb 16 mb 2> 500 gb 64 mb (seagate/wd)

cab: cm elite 310 if i get it in Pune.

I'm planning to go Mumbai to get some of the stuff i don't get here, could you suggest me a place where i can get most of the stuff.

Thanks

Make sure the 965BE is the new one with 125 watts TDP and not the old one with 140 watts TDP. You will have your system up 24 hours as you mentioned in your initial post. The new version will save you a lot in power bill.

Have you thought about any kind of redundancy for your Data ? Since you mentioned its a workstation that you want to build.

Redundancy like say Hardware Raid etc ?

fiazio said:
No I haven't, do you have any suggestions ?

I am not sure if you are aware of different kinds of Raid solutions.

If you are planning to use Windows XP Pro it has an option to set up Software Raid solution.

Raid is basically a solution to provide redundancy to your data in case there is a data loss caused by system crash due to power failure, bad blocks on disk or disk failure etc. I would give you an example of 2 forms of Raid to help you understand better.

Raid 1 - Which is also known as Mirroring.

It helps create an exact copy of your first disk on to the second disk. To be able to setup Raid 1 you require 2 disks in your system with same capacity. In the event there is a failure or crash of the OS on the first disk or say your first disk develops bad blocks and renders your system in no boot then you can utilize the second disk which was part of Raid 1 and is an exact clone of your first disk data to boot back to the OS.

Raid 5 - Requires more then 2 disk or you can say 3 disk to setup Raid 5.

Raid 5 is basically also known as Stripped with Parity. The data is written across the three disks hence called stripped. Every disk saves parity information of the other disk. This parity information helps to rebuild the data of a failed disk. If a disk from Raid 5 fails, you simply need to replace that failed disk with a new same capacity disk and the data on this replaced disk would get regenerated with help of parity information on the rest of the 2 disks.

Hence you have redundancy when your disk fails. There are several other kinds of raid but the above 2 are the most popular ones.

Now Raid has 2 implementations

1. Software Raid - The one created with help from OS is called software RAID. In case of XP Pro, Windows 2003 its done from disk management console(Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc)

2. Hardware Raid - The logic to create Raid is built in the motherboard or you buy a separate Raid Controller PCI/PCI-E Card to which you connect your disks. In this the OS is not aware how many disks are in your system. Say for e.g. you have setup Raid 1. The controller card will present the 2 disks as one single disk to the OS if you have configured Raid 1 else it will consider it as 2 different disk & will be presented as 2 disks to the OS. The OS wont understand whats at the hardware level. For the OS its just sees as per what is configured in the Raid Controller Card. All the Raid logic calculations are done by the Controller card.
Now if any one disk fails here. You just shut down the system and replace the failed disk and boot in the BIOS of the Raid Controller card and rebuild/regenerate the RAID. In high end servers you cant afford downtime hence those have the option of hot swap where the disk is just removed from the disk enclosure and replaced while the system is ON and OS is running.

Hardware Raid is the only reliable solution for data. Software Raid is just to save your cost of adding the Raid Controller card.

Now a days most motherboard have built in Raid Controllers. But again performance of this v/s a dedicated Raid Controller card is much lower.

One of them is Asus M4A78T-E Deluxe motherboard.

There might be other cheap boards too that have these built-in.

Hope I have explained you better to help you decide if you are planning to implement RAID.

tush said:
I am not sure if you are aware of different kinds of Raid solutions.

If you are planning to use Windows XP Pro it has an option to set up Software Raid solution.

Raid is basically a solution to provide redundancy to your data in case there is a data loss caused by system crash due to power failure, bad blocks on disk or disk failure etc. I would give you an example of 2 forms of Raid to help you understand better.

Raid 1 - Which is also known as Mirroring.

It helps create an exact copy of your first disk on to the second disk. To be able to setup Raid 1 you require 2 disks in your system with same capacity. In the event there is a failure or crash of the OS on the first disk or say your first disk develops bad blocks and renders your system in no boot then you can utilize the second disk which was part of Raid 1 and is an exact clone of your first disk data to boot back to the OS.

Raid 5 - Requires more then 2 disk or you can say 3 disk to setup Raid 5.

Raid 5 is basically also known as Stripped with Parity. The data is written across the three disks hence called stripped. Every disk saves parity information of the other disk. This parity information helps to rebuild the data of a failed disk. If a disk from Raid 5 fails, you simply need to replace that failed disk with a new same capacity disk and the data on this replaced disk would get regenerated with help of parity information on the rest of the 2 disks.

Hence you have redundancy when your disk fails. There are several other kinds of raid but the above 2 are the most popular ones.

Now Raid has 2 implementations

1. Software Raid - The one created with help from OS is called software RAID. In case of XP Pro, Windows 2003 its done from disk management console(Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc)

2. Hardware Raid - The logic to create Raid is built in the motherboard or you buy a separate Raid Controller PCI/PCI-E Card to which you connect your disks. In this the OS is not aware how many disks are in your system. Say for e.g. you have setup Raid 1. The controller card will present the 2 disks as one single disk to the OS if you have configured Raid 1 else it will consider it as 2 different disk & will be presented as 2 disks to the OS. The OS wont understand whats at the hardware level. For the OS its just sees as per what is configured in the Raid Controller Card. All the Raid logic calculations are done by the Controller card.
Now if any one disk fails here. You just shut down the system and replace the failed disk and boot in the BIOS of the Raid Controller card and rebuild/regenerate the RAID. In high end servers you cant afford downtime hence those have the option of hot swap where the disk is just removed from the disk enclosure and replaced while the system is ON and OS is running.

Hardware Raid is the only reliable solution for data. Software Raid is just to save your cost of adding the Raid Controller card.

Now a days most motherboard have built in Raid Controllers. But again performance of this v/s a dedicated Raid Controller card is much lower.

One of them is Asus M4A78T-E Deluxe motherboard.

There might be other cheap boards too that have these built-in.

Hope I have explained you better to help you decide if you are planning to implement RAID.
Wow, thanks for the info, I'm planning on getting 2 hard disks
1 of which will be 16 mb cache and the other one 64 mb.
I'd probably go for mirroring method, any idea whether the ud-4 has hardware raid support?

I'm glad I waited, as today I found out the authorized corsair distributor in Pune, I had no other option but some local brand.

Back