would anyone please help this frustrated science student?

Dishant996

Disciple
hey there techies... i'm a 12th std. student graduated from PCM stream with 61%! like every other science student, i aimed for IIT, but wasn't successful.. i didn't opt for science stream for science, i joined to follow my dream career to become a software engineer.. since 9th grade, i'm able to assemble or disassemble a PC without anyones help, i din't opt for science stream 'cause of peer pressure or family pressure, i opted it 'cause i have a very keen interest in technology, but i don't think i'll be able to become a software engineer, as requirements of todays market is way high, they want merit holders in their companies, all they want is creamy layer of the society as competition have became too much in this stream and i'm not even getting a good college for my studies.. is there any way i could excel in technology field without engineering or bca? i don't want to regret anything, as i'm already regretting my 12th %age and i'm gonna give my 100% in whatever course i opt for.. please guide this fellow who has lost all hope in himself.... thnx in advance

Well to be honest, there is no easy way out of this. You would need to complete your degree in computers to have a successful career in the long run.

Or on the contrary you can do any other degree and maybe top it up with masters in computers. But then again this is a gamble and depends on your luck when it comes to job offers.

Well. 61% sucks. Lets get that out of the way.

Try to get into the best possible Engineering college YOU can. Doesn't matter private seat or merit seat. If you think you can do better, do. Else, Another thread in 4 years.

Ignore the trend of the market. You just passed out of 12th. And also, software engineer is a very very generic term. I am a software engineer in healthcare domain. So I work with engineers from mechanical, electrical, robotic, Image processing(which I also used to a bit) etc. I believe technology has come to a point where you need to use tools or software regardless of your stream. So take your pick.

Then again, Infy and all are mainly into banking, travel etc.. There different domains all use the similar technology to develop. Not commenting on that.

I know wipro is different. This is my second company. Both of our companies had competing verticals from wipro. :)

This is what I've seen..Your high school score has just a little bearing on your career. Getting the initial breakthrough into your career might be a bit challenging but once you're in all that matters is just what you do. I see many classmates who scored 50+% (and also a few who had made multiple attempts to pass) from my school days are in excellent career paths now. Thinking about it, were they too dumb during school days to perform so bad ? Probably not. But did they put in all they could to be where they are today ? I'm sure they definitely did.

Software industry in generic sense, are two types - Service based (Infy, TCS, Wipro, HCL, IBM, Accenture etc etc) and Product based (MS, Yahoo, Amazon, Ebay, Adobe, Oracle etc etc).
'All' of the 'big' Indian companies are service based and its relatively easier to get into them - campus recruitment is the best/easiest way in as these companies hires in mass (200+ from single batch) from 'reputed' (non IIT/NIT) colleges. They do not look into which branch the guys did their BE, as they would train them according to the project. The projects generally assigned randomly, without asking any opinion about your interest etc.
The product based biggies are different stories - they mostly look for CS guys from 'good' colleges.

Well, this is general trend (with some exceptions of course).

So, if you wish join the 'great indian it industry' - study harder, get into a 'good/reputed' college. There is no better way. (Bachelor degree + MCA is the long way and kinda risky. Some diploma + certification won't help to get an entry into 'big' companies)

Last edited:
Most of the big companies like MS/Yahoo/Google only recruit from top colleges and test on the basis of Data Structures/Algorithms mainly which may never be used during the job.Sad really :(

Yeah, i know that no matter in which field i opt for, i'll have to work hard and i'm ready for that, as long as it doesn't goes to waste! Any body from bhopal, m.p. Here?

so my question would be, what college should i go for?[DOUBLEPOST=1402082569][/DOUBLEPOST]So, should i do B.E./B.Tech. Or not?[DOUBLEPOST=1402119368][/DOUBLEPOST]Bump[DOUBLEPOST=1402144994][/DOUBLEPOST]Bump

Last edited:
This is what I've seen..Your high school score has just a little bearing on your career. Getting the initial breakthrough into your career might be a bit challenging but once you're in all that matters is just what you do. I see many classmates who scored 50+% (and also a few who had made multiple attempts to pass) from my school days are in excellent career paths now. Thinking about it, were they too dumb during school days to perform so bad ? Probably not. But did they put in all they could to be where they are today ? I'm sure they definitely did.
From 2014 batch passout, most service based companies are setting the criteria of 70% marks all throughout. I am not discouraging the OP, just giving him a heads up.
Till last year, all companies were asking for 60% throughout only. But from this year, they have increased the cut off. I am not sure if all companies have increased it but some have.

Just so you know my background. I got 90% in class 10th and 12th and did Btech and Mtech From IIT Kharagpur in Biotechnology, and finally started my own IT Company after getting out of college.

This is my advice:
First of all, its great you have passion about a field and you want to pursue that, everything else can be accommodated. 61% does not matter in the big run. I would strongly suggest you to drop a year, prepare for your AIEEE, IIT JEE again, get a better rank and get a decent college and only get into Computer Science Btech course and nothing else. Everything else would just be a compromise.

A good college will give you good curriculum, good environment and a decent first job. And that's it. So even if you are not from a "Good" college, your 2nd job depends entirely on you. So just get into a normal/decent college if not "good" , do your Computer Science Btech, do it well, keep following industry standards, do your interns in good companies. And life would turn out to be awesome in the end of it all.
(if you are interested in web/mobile software development, you can apply for intern in my company as well :) )

I hope it makes sense, all the best. Again, to sum it up, drop a year, get into "decent" college, go for Computer Science and you will do good in life.

The thing is that i can't take a drop, even if my marks scream that i should :p , i know myself, if a took a drop, i'd regret it after 5-6 months, even my parents know that and they strongly advise me to 'drop' the idea to take a drop.. I'm getting a few private colleges in my city and they seem to be good, so should i go for them?

While selecting a college do consider whether companies come there for placements. This gives you better chance of getting a job quicker.

The thing is that i can't take a drop, even if my marks scream that i should :p , i know myself, if a took a drop, i'd regret it after 5-6 months, even my parents know that and they strongly advise me to 'drop' the idea to take a drop.. I'm getting a few private colleges in my city and they seem to be good, so should i go for them?

I would still suggest you to drop a year.. its really not a big thing, its not a race( you don't have to look at your fellow class mates and feel bad about it) its your life, pace it according to yourself, only you are your true competition, plus, you will get to learn and grow a lot in that year. Also, be confident about dropping a year and your parents will also support you, if you are not confident yourself, they would also have doubts.

If not, then follow your heart and get into a private college you want.. ( but again, don't look back to what your life would have been if you would have dropped a year and gone into a better college )

i thought recruitment by companies are based upon seeing one's talent and confidence in the field, rather than college!
lol... thats never true. you will need a good background and good score to get through the initial screening.

I've exactly been in your place and its extremely tough to get through the current system so try becoming a btech/be rather than studying bca.

Back