X360/PS3 on standard TV

Checksum

Skilled
I've been thinking of buying either a X360 or a PS3. Am yet to decide as I haven't looked at the game catalogue for both. The problem is right now I only have a standard TV, and will not upgrade for a few months. Will it be worth getting it now or should I wait till I get a LCD TV? I know i cannot expect quality, but just wondering if games on these consoles can even run on standard definition.

I am bored out of my brains and hence the earlier i get it, the better. Also, any idea which will be the best place to get one in Singapore?

IMO you should wait until you get yourself a decent HDTV. The SDTV completely ruins the experience of playing a good title on the present gen. consoles. The consoles do however support standard CRT displays (limited to lower resolutions more like viewing 480P on HDTVs) over the composite video out.

PS: You can get yourself a good 32" 1080p display from Sgp for CHEAP! I mean really cheap. For instance, a Bravia that costs approx. 32k here in India can be bought for close to 16k INR from Sgp/Thai. It wouldn't attract customs duties since the limit is 25k INR per person. Besides, you can claim the GST refund at the Sgp airport while departing. It may be a good idea to get the console from here however.

PPS: In case you decide to get the HDTV from Sgp, check this link - The House of Displays - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

PPPS: Tourist Refund Scheme

Its either PS3 + HDTV or neither.

Yes they run on SD TVs but you are overpaying for what you get in that case. Infact a PS2 will start seeming the same, a little weaker maybe but not phenomenally different from the PS3.

^What is the maximum you are willing to spend in SG$?

The 32CX420 is a good bet at 550 SG$! I wouldn't want to get into the specifics but it is hands down a good display. :)

Damn that's like 22k INR? Solid pricing! Retails for 37, 900 in India.

Don't have a strict budget per say, but don't want to spend too much money on it. The CX520 looks sweet at that price, but if putting in some more money will get a better panel, I'm willing to do that as I won't be upgrading often. How much better is the EX520 compared to the CX520?

Both the EX520 and the CX420 have SPVA panels but the EX has an edge-lit panel whereas the CX has the traditional CCFL backlit panel - thus the blacks on the EX stand out and reproduces near accurate and deeper blacks. Moreover, the EX has a better image processor onboard (XRPE compared to the previous generation's BE 3 on the CX). There are some other differences such as added network support, support for Skype, USB WiFi adaptor etc. most of which you may not intend to use.

The difference in the PQ across the two displays may not be significant or to put it in a better sense, the perceived PQ may be different from user to user. If possible, go to the showroom and do an audition from similar inputs and judge yourself.

To put it simply, Xbox 360 or PS3 if played on a normal CRT TV is an insult to both the consoles(huge gfx difference CRT v/s LCD or LED). If you are already willing to buy a LCD or a LED in few months than you can buy the console now, no harm in doing that.

You can also plug the PS3 into a widescreen monitor, if you are not going to get a HDTV immediately. Get a DVI to HDMI converter if your monitor doesn't have HDMI.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

@Gannu, thanks! Will be checking out a few LCDs tomorrow. Will decide accordingly.

try checking the prices at Mustafa Center.. I got the cheapest deal there (but that was 3-4 years back )

Mustafa is pretty far from where I live, but will keep that in mind. Thanks!

@dragon_unleashed, have decided to get the LCD ASAP. The prices here are too tempting!

Now that the LCD is confirmed, need to pick the console. I'm inclined towards the X360 as it seems to have more shooting games. Loved playing Gears in particular. But $60 a year for live is a definite overhead. Whereas for the PS3, blue ray is a big bonus in addition to no hidden costs. I would definitely get BF3 and thankfully it's available for both the consoles. Might need some more help come tomorrow.

Got a LED TV, PS3 and two games yesterday :) Finally I have something to post in the show-off section! A big thanks to everyone for their help!

Back